It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 Trillion people affected, 13 Bajillion dollars in damage, Hurricane Sandy and media hype

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Actually, have you seen the projected damage? A third of the U.S. could possibly be affected by Sandy. That's why.

Again, why is everyone so upset over the coverage? Why didn't you complain about 9/11 being broadcast across the nation? That was only New York City...JUST ONE CITY! But as soon as a hurricane whose span extends beyond the grasp of a single city hits the coast, OH HELL NAW!! I want my sports, not the damn weather!

Seriously, what is your PROBLEM, people?

Our president seems to have allowed people to be murdered while he watched from a drone. It is getting no news coverage at all. Sandy, as a Cat 1 hurricane is commanding more coverage than Katrina as a Cat 5.

What the news is telling me is that all the wealth of the East Coast matters far more than the suffering of those poor folks in New Orleans. That is, if coverage equates to importance. If you believe that fallacy, no wonder our nation is up shiz creek.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

In you country there are 300 people accusing a celebrity of hosting a paedophile ring with government leaders and royalty. Let me restate: Your government leaders and royal family are being accused of having sex with mentally infirm children and dead bodies.

I thought he said he was in Germany?

He may have. But on his profile his location says "England".

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

In you country there are 300 people accusing a celebrity of hosting a paedophile ring with government leaders and royalty. Let me restate: Your government leaders and royal family are being accused of having sex with mentally infirm children and dead bodies.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

And they're using the storm to bury all that bad news over here.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Well listen it was not hyped just look at the town here for example

Listen hey i just lost total contact with one of our female atsers who i hold dear to me.

I need the media sir

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

That's a stupid reason to ignore the plight of the east coast. Address the issue if you must, but don't spite the people enduring the brutality of this weather because of it. Regardless of how weak it is in comparison, stand down there for half an hour and tell me there's no reason to be worried about those people. They don't evacuate millions for no reason.

Again, there's a time and a place. Wait for everyone to be safe and the storm to pass before picking your fights. There's bigger issues at hand - like the lives that are at Sandy's mercy. I shouldn't have to remind anyone of this, and I'm a little disappointed that in fact, I DO have to. Or so it appears to me.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

And they're using the storm to bury all that bad news over here.

well, apparently they are. The thread is about the media overbroadcasting the coverage of this. And he is saying how much he needs the media doing just that.

I would only assume as much. But it would make me feel far, far better to know that my assumption is wrong.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

That was beezer buddy read the posts please my freind

Originally posted by beezzer

Um, no. Currently, I'm in Germany. My family (some) are in the states.

(we use phone trees though, in case of emergencies)

edit on 30-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

Wait, Beezer is in Germany and he thinks he has the right to complain about hurricane coverage in an area completely remote from his location?

The balls on that guy. Seriously, what gives him the right? What gives you the right, Beezer? We've already lost contact with members ON THIS FORUM due to the hurricane, and you have the gall to complain about the coverage and concern?

Check your priorities, Beezer. They need some serious overhaul, methinks.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

That's a stupid reason to ignore the plight of the east coast. Address the issue if you must, but don't spite the people enduring the brutality of this weather because of it. Regardless of how weak it is in comparison, stand down there for half an hour and tell me there's no reason to be worried about those people. They don't evacuate millions for no reason.

Again, there's a time and a place. Wait for everyone to be safe and the storm to pass before picking your fights. There's bigger issues at hand - like the lives that are at Sandy's mercy. I shouldn't have to remind anyone of this, and I'm a little disappointed that in fact, I DO have to. Or so it appears to me.

This is the mentality that will allow Obama to get away with the murder of our Libyan diplomat.

yea. Lets just wait. No need to worry about dead US soldiers who were left to die while painting a target with a laser. We have a Category 1 storm.

The bigger issues at hand is the Benghazigate and the molestation of those 300+ people in England by the royal family and Jimmy Saville.

Folks without power....that sucks. Children being molested by creepy guys in kilts....sucks a whole lot worse.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

...a small portion of the nation...

oh, Tex... :shk:

:-)

Me saying the news is hype does not discount the suffering of those involved.

We know - it's not about that

But people are suffering all over the world all the time.

Too true

This is still a big story - a huge story

This is what interests me - news is news. It shifts around all the time

We do tend to pick and choose and rationalize - don't we? When we want - we can even make an argument against a news story in order to sell the story we favor

:-)

Don't worry - we'll get back to skewering the leader of the free world before you know it - and things will be right as rain

link   

Hate to admit I am still following along and keeping up ...

Denver22 is in England
Beezzer is in Germany

This thread is overhyped !

link   

Wait, Beezer is in Germany and he thinks he has the right to complain about hurricane coverage in an area completely remote from his location?

The balls on that guy. Seriously, what gives him the right? What gives you the right, Beezer? We've already lost contact with members ON THIS FORUM due to the hurricane, and you have the gall to complain about the coverage and concern?

LOL, one of the most lame questions you can ask someone is "What gives you the right?"

Rights are given to us by ourselves. I take whatever rights I choose to take, and leave it up to others to take them away from me (if they can).

His freedom of speech gives him the right. And you obviously have the right to be shocked and outraged that he would dare question why so much coverage is being devoted to Sandy.

It should be pretty damning that someone in Germany feels that the coverage is too much. What is making him see it as too much coverage if it is not inundating him, too?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
MY GOD will you people stop. No one ever said not to prepare, no one ever said they didn't care about people. You all lost your minds!!!

ALSO how could ANYONE not have been prepared for Sandy???

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I think I love you.

Just had to say it.

ETA: OK, so it would never work between a gorilla and a baboon. Two primates, separated by far too many strands of protein. *SIGH*
edit on 30-10-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Well listen it was not hyped just look at the town here for example

Listen hey i just lost total contact with one of our female atsers who i hold dear to me.

I need the media sir

And sir, what do you know about that town?

If I told you that that picture of Hurricane Gustav is a low lying area that is prone to flooding and was expect to flood, has flooded before, will flood again, and everyone there knows it and is prepared for such a thing, then it is not the catastrophic images the media put into people's heads.

Keep in mind, I'm in a hurricane prone area. Just like the one in that picture you provided. Know what you cant see in your picture? All the homes that are built on stilts so that when it floods, as expected, the water does not invade the homes, and simply flows right under the stilts.

Let me give you a current example, from the topic of Hurricane Sandy.

Originally posted by severdsoul
This photo was taken in Brigantine....

Looks scary right? Danger danger? Flee flee? Never would have sen this coming?

But where is Brigantine?

So it is an area one would have expected to flood from the storm surge. If you stayed in this area, your dumb. You put your own life at risk. The data told you to expect 6-12 feet of storm surge. This area was going to flood.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

It should be pretty damning that someone in Germany feels that the coverage is too much. What is making him see it as too much coverage if it is not inundating him, too?

Kinda like saying a rape victim is getting too much coverage. A woman just got raped, and the best thing you can say is, "They're paying too much attention to her"?

There are lives in the balance, thousands and thousands of dollars in destruction every hour. At this point, I have no respect for Beezzer's complaint, because he is nowhere near the chaos these people are going through. His home is fine, he is fine, he has nothing to worry about, mother nature isn't about to personally evict him on less than a week's notice, and he gets to sip margaritas and watch the storm and its victims on his television.

Again: what is his justification for complaining? If these people weren't worried about their houses, their loved ones, and their own lives, they'd be saying the same thing.

"Get over it"? Haha - NO! When YOU are swirling away down a river that used to be the street you lived on, all of your belongings getting sucked down sidestreets and your car taking water damage faster than a Pokemon in Blue Version, I will say to you, "What's the big deal? It's just a little storm!"

This is completely effing ridiculous.
edit on 30-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Spare me the bleeding heart!

I feel for the victims, the personal property damage. The loss.

What I don't have sympathy for, is the media.

You want heart songs and tears? Sorry. Decided to go all "rational up in your grill!"

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

damn, who makes that door, thats one damn fine door right there! is holding back the ocean on the side of the box it comes in? if not it should be! lol

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Kinda like saying a rape victim is getting too much coverage. A woman just got raped, and the best thing you can say is, "They're paying too much attention to her"?

There are lives in the balance, thousands and thousands of dollars in destruction every hour. At this point, I have no respect for Beezzer's complaint, because he is nowhere near the chaos these people are going through. His home is fine, he is fine, he has nothing to worry about, mother nature isn't about to personally evict him on less than a week's notice, and he gets to sip margaritas and watch the storm and its victims on his television.

Again: what is his justification for complaining? If these people weren't worried about their houses, their loved ones, and their own lives, they'd be saying the same thing.

"Get over it"? Haha - NO! When YOU are swirling away down a river that used to be the street you lived on, all of your belongings getting sucked down sidestreets and your car taking water damage faster than a Pokemon in Blue Version, I will say to you, "What's the big deal? It's just a little storm!"

This is completely effing ridiculous.

well, you yourself just said that he is fine. His home is fine.

So tell me then, why does his news need to have wall to wall coverage of Sandy to a point that he feels the need to complain?

Have you considered (as has been painstakingly pointed out to you) that his condemnation has nothing to do with the people involved int he storm and everything to do with media that is overcovering news that is barely relevant to a large portion of the world?

I live in West Texas and can say that, on the whole, anything that happens to the northeast US tends to dominate the news. I regularly ask my spouse, "Why is this on the national news" when discussing issues from NY. Like if the George Washington Tunnel closed down....it gets 10 minutes of national news time. Why?

The news being covered on Sandy should, for the most part, be carried only locally with hourly updates given on a national and global scale. That is how news is supposed to work: it trickles up from the local outlets when it is pertinent to the outside world.

You are making this a zero sum argument. It isn't "all or nothing". And whether you appreicate Beezers comments or not, he has every right to make them. Regardless of your desire for his censorship.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Oh, so the standard is, "If you're that stupid, we have no sympathy for you"?

You people are absolutely f***ing heartless. ATS, I cannot believe your lack of compassion. You have no excuse. When you people start complaining about taxes or medicare, then I'm going to point out your stupidity in voting or choosing the wrong plan and say, "Sorry, no sympathy."

Jesus Christ, when will you guys learn? But when the next war crops up, who will you go to first? "AMerica, please help us!"

"Hmm, remember Sandy? That was a really compassionate show right there. I don't know, you seemed pretty sincere when you were griping about the wusses that were stuck in Jersey...yeah, I don't think so. You're on your on in this one."

I really hope that's how the conversation goes. If you can't afford to show a little compassion for something as "small" as a hurricane, then I see no reason why we shouldn't return the same respect, regardless of the situation. It's a two way road, people, and we've pulled everyone of your butts out of the fire before. Who knows, maybe if it weren't for us, you would never have existed.

But a hurricane is too much for you. Not deserving of your compassion and prayer. I see how that is. Humans truly are disgusting.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join