It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 Trillion people affected, 13 Bajillion dollars in damage, Hurricane Sandy and media hype

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

If helping is the concern then the media would spend more time on shelters, preparedness, travel routes, contacting help than they do on action shots of waves crashing and scary satellite images of a giant red blob covering your state.

Do you suppose there might be a difference between local and national news?

I have people 30 minutes outside NYC - they're getting more than just newscasters in front of breaking waves

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Sissel

Then to you and those that need and require hype and a sense of disjointed panic,

I apologise.

Beezer you live in america but you suddenly lost contact with loved ones what do you do
you tune in to media coverage do you not?

peace..
edit on 30-10-2012 by denver22 because: loved ones added

Um, no. Currently, I'm in Germany. My family (some) are in the states.

(we use phone trees though, in case of emergencies)

link   

Originally posted by Sissel
So, what you are saying is that people don't take it seriously because of a "boy cried wolf scenario?

This thing even affected the Chicago area, and it was huge, so yes, the hype in this case was perfectly appropriate.

Really? Where are the 60-70 million without people without power?

Where are all these bodies being fished up?

These are the things people will remember most when all is said and done. They will remember that these things did not happen. They will remember the media making claims that never came to pass.

So when the next storm comes along, warnings will be ignored.

That is what gets people killed.

Let us look back to Hurricane Katrina. What was the number 1 reason why people did not leave?

"cause previous warnings were wrong, we thought it would be like other storms"

Yet when it mattered most, they stayed and they paid a price. Yet those who knew the truth- that a Cat 3 hurricane was powerful enough to destroy the levees- already knew that Katrina was the storm to get out of the way of.

Do you think the media reported that the levees would break with a Cat 3 storm? Nope. Not once. Instead the media speculates and hypes- when they should be simply stating the facts. You have any idea how many people would have left New Orleans if the media simply stated, "Our City is below Sea level. Our levees will probably break cause they are not designed to withstand the force of a Cat 3 Storm. This storm will be a Cat 3 or higher by the time it makes landfall."

Those were the facts and it was all not a secret, and the media failed to report those facts. I twas known FOR YEARS before Katrina that the levees would not withstand a Cat 3 Hurricane. The Weather Channel even made a show about that- right before Katrina, it just had not aired yet. So the levee problem was not a secret to those the population rely on to give them the information they need to know.

link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by khimbar

When you look at the situation some are finding themselves in, I suggest people should always be prepared and have food in stock, if panic buying helped feed a few people awaiting rescue it is a good thing.

I have at least 3 months at all times.

I don't think we'll know til it all shakes out in a few weeks.

This was a very bad situation, spread over a large area and many states,

This is what I love about Americas, I am proud of the hearty souls, the internal fortitude, the charity and the willingness to pull together, I live in tornado alley, every year many communities have to rebuild, many times this NEVER makes the news, sometimes I wish it would so it would make matters more well known.
The more people that know the more help they get,

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

We need to know routes, shelters.

Which is ironically the least discussed item on the newscasts.

Do you live where these types of events happen? I did. That is up to the state and local governing bodies. When I lived in Louisiana, a couple of times a year, we got flyers in the mail for evacuations routes, should an event happen.
The list would also specify what to have on hand for emergencies....etc....just so you know.

edit on 30-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by Sissel
So, what you are saying is that people don't take it seriously because of a "boy cried wolf scenario?

This thing even affected the Chicago area, and it was huge, so yes, the hype in this case was perfectly appropriate.

Really? Where are the 60-70 million without people without power?

Where are all these bodies being fished up?

These are the things people will remember most when all is said and done. They will remember that these things did not happen. They will remember the media making claims that never came to pass.

So when the next storm comes along, warnings will be ignored.

That is what gets people killed.

Let us look back to Hurricane Katrina. What was the number 1 reason why people did not leave?

"cause previous warnings were wrong, we thought it would be like other storms"

Yet when it mattered most, they stayed and they paid a price. Yet those who knew the truth- that a Cat 3 hurricane was powerful enough to destroy the levees- already knew that Katrina was the storm to get out of the way of.

Do you think the media reported that the levees would break with a Cat 3 storm? Nope. Not once. Instead the media speculates and hypes- when they should be simply stating the facts. You have any idea how many people would have left New Orleans if the media simply stated, "Our City is below Sea level. Our levees will probably break cause they are not designed to withstand the force of a Cat 3 Storm. This storm will be a Cat 3 or higher by the time it makes landfall."

Those were the facts and it was all not a secret, and the media failed to report those facts. I twas known FOR YEARS before Katrina that the levees would not withstand a Cat 3 Hurricane. The Weather Channel even made a show about that- right before Katrina, it just had not aired yet. So the levee problem was not a secret to those the population rely on to give them the information they need to know.

The moral of the story is the media said to people about the storm aproaching that should be
enough not to take a risk sir, to carry on as normal should it not?

I mean why take the chance anyway?
edit on 30-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
When the media blows up every little event, people start thinking that the real bad events aren't going to be as bad as they are. It is good to warn people but even I wasn't thinking this was going to surely hit the coast. There were some possibilities of it not hitting initially but the media never seems to show patterns anymore. In this case the overzealous media coverage of other events made people think this wasn't going to be as bad as they were saying. Informing people of the odds is good. Informing people when it is definitely going to be real bad is also good. Crying wolf when there is only a fox is not good. Media has to learn not to create Hollywood episodes when they are just theatrical plays so people will know when something is really bad.

It also seems when there is a shooting somewhere that the media attention creates events elsewhere. I don't know how to fix that problem, people also have to be warned that it can happen anywhere. There are crazies in every town, giving their passions fuel is not good. We need to eliminate the bullying and name calling in politics to get rid of bullying in schools. Sorry to get off topic, but everything I said is actually relevant to the topic to show examples.
edit on 30-10-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

, I live in tornado alley, every year many communities have to rebuild, many times this NEVER makes the news, sometimes I wish it would so it would make matters more well known.

There's no news in good news though, is there? What's the profit in that for those at the top? Far better to keep us all scared and reliant.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I turned on my favorite talking head last night, had my popcorn and was ready to hear venomous partisan rantings..
and instead, I got storms!!!

It just got real!

Anyhow, Actually, I think it is important to discuss it a lot. It is a pretty bad storm in a area where they don't get bad storms often...so that is of course dangerous for them, and its actually news..not sensational tripe, but actual need to know stuff that will effect first off millions in a very real way, but also effect many others wondering if family/friends/businesses are doing alright. So, I am patient with it for now.

At least they stopped discussing Michael Jackson's death.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

, I live in tornado alley, every year many communities have to rebuild, many times this NEVER makes the news, sometimes I wish it would so it would make matters more well known.

There's no news in good news though, is there? What's the profit in that for those at the top? Far better to keep us all scared and reliant.

Nice to see the sevices finding your loved one and the media reporting it to you
sir would it not be good news??

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

Then to you and those that need and require hype and a sense of disjointed panic,

I apologise.

Beezer you live in america but you suddenly lost contact with loved ones what do you do

peace..

Ok beezer feller your loved one
is trapped the tree phone is not recieving messages would you be glad that the media kept you
up to date on the services sifting through the rubble etc would that be good news?..

Thank god for the media when your biting your nails on the edge of your seat do you switch
off the tv no you keep it on and thank the services and the "media" for it all..

Come on beez

peace

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Warning: If you live next to the ocean, you're gonna get wet.

When they start a hype so big that people as far inland as Pittsburgh are terrified and canceling EVERYTHING there is a REAL problem. I'm sure it can and will happen. One day when a storm is actually 'epic' like soooo many described Sandy, Pittsburgh will be effected, and unprepared because we've heard it all before.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Are you a meterologist sir?

No I am not. I am a person who lives in a Hurricane prone area who looks at the data myself. I am a person who has been unlucky enough to live in just about every State east of the Rockies and have been subjected to a lot of extreme weather. From tornadoes, to hurricanes, to blizzards. The only thing I have not witnessed for myself is earthquakes or volcano eruptions- so I dont comment on those things.

I learned long ago the media lies and can not be trusted. So I read the data for myself and then I decide what I should do, how I should prepare, and what I need to survive.

You need the media to relay your finds over the air do you not?

Yes you would, the problem is the media is not doing that. The media is not reporting the facts, they are reporting speculation. They are promoting fear. They are not actually looking at the data and reporting it truthfully.

Let me give you an example. Hurricane Gustav. Feel free to go back into the ATS archives and see my post from that storm.

The media played up the fear. Told people to evacuate. Told people it would be catastrophic. Many people left.

What did the data say? The data said it would be a mild storm. It would weaken as it came closer to land. It would be nothing more than a strong thunderstorm.

So what happened? People spent a lot of money stocking up on supplies. The National Guard showed up and put armed soldiers outside of Walmart. People spent a ton of cash, left town. I stayed. I knew what the data said. I saved my money. When Gustav made landfall, and it was what the data said it was, people came back pissed off.

And today when there is a hurricane come to my area, one of the first thing people say is, "Well Gustav was nothing. Why should I leave now? I can't afford it again". The problem is, now they wont listen to that same media and one of these days the media will be right and they wont listen. Then people will die as a result.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

The "hype" comes in the fact that on a national, and worldwide, scale the news is on 5000rpm cycles of Sandy.

If LOCAL REGIONS need weather warnings, then by all means cover it 24x7 on those local stations. Certainly give us a spot on the hourly news cycle. Maybe even do some human interest to keep the rest of the country engaged with the East Coast.

But to take over the entire news cycle to cover a storm that is only affecting a small portion of the nation in profound enough ways to warrant such coverage...that is hype.

it is being overbroadcast. It is being pushed. Folks in Seattle are on the edge of their seat waiting to see the Statue of Liberty washed away.

And it is burying stories of true national import. Not just regional import with national repercussions.

I think that context is being missed here. When we have tornados roll through West Texas, there is a 5 minute spot on the TV about it. When the refinery that was 1/8th mile from my home exploded, no one on ATS knew about it without me providing my own "reporting".

There are regional tragedies all the time. Me saying the news is hype does not discount the suffering of those involved. But people are suffering all over the world all the time. I have to be realistic. And I also have to question why a regional weather phenomena is dominating the news on a large scale. Find me one more parallel that would make this coverage seem sane by any measure, I will retreat in defeat. But even Katrina, a cat 5 storm, didn't get this kind of coverage.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I don't get it. Are you saying you have a problem with the fact that a hurrican just hit an area that was completely unprepared for the event? That hurricane is up near our area right now. We're in West Michigan, and we're getting weather that is worse than usual because of the hurricane.

I'm a little upset that you seem to be implying our concern for the unfortunate souls on the east coast is uncalled for. Are you there? Are you in the middle of that? I've seen pictures recently updated to my Facebook, the area is FLOODED. Literally, over two feet of water...and rising! If that isn't cause for concern and hype, then we've lost all compassion.

That's what I'm hearing from you, Beezer. "Less compassion, it's just a little water! Why are you so empathic towards these people? They don't need your help or sympathy! We've seen worse!"

Who cares if you've seen worse? They are facing a very difficult time right now, and if you were in the same situation, you would be saying this, would you? And if you were, I'd be mightily surprised.

Have a heart. You're not there, so you can't even BEGIN to complain. I'm quite a distance from the storm and we're still seeing the effects. Where are you? Nice and warm and safe. You don't even know. Shame on you!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

I apologise.

peace..

Ok beezer feller your loved one
is trapped the tree phone is not recieving messages would you be glad that the media kept you
up to date on the services sifting through the rubble etc would that be good news?..

Thank god for the media when your biting your nails on the edge of your seat do you switch
off the tv no you keep it on and thank the services and the "media" for it all..

Come on beez

peace

In you country there are 300 people accusing a celebrity of hosting a paedophile ring with government leaders and royalty. Let me restate: Your government leaders and royal family are being accused of having sex with mentally infirm children and dead bodies.

On a percentage scale, what percentage of the news should be dedicated to coverage of the perversion that is in your government, and what percentage should be dedicated to a storm happening in a country that you don't live in?

Just so I get an idea of where you are on this when put in context.

See....i get the feeling that everyone here is arguing from a zero sum standpoint. It is either 100% good, or 100% bad. There is nothing in between. If you criticize it just a little for being over the top, then you might as well say that MSM is Jesus and I am the devil.
edit on 30-10-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Actually, have you seen the projected damage? A third of the U.S. could possibly be affected by Sandy. That's why.

Again, why is everyone so upset over the coverage? Why didn't you complain about 9/11 being broadcast across the nation? That was only New York City...JUST ONE CITY! But as soon as a hurricane whose span extends beyond the grasp of a single city hits the coast, OH HELL NAW!! I want my sports, not the damn weather!

Seriously, what is your PROBLEM, people?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

In you country there are 300 people accusing a celebrity of hosting a paedophile ring with government leaders and royalty. Let me restate: Your government leaders and royal family are being accused of having sex with mentally infirm children and dead bodies.

I thought he said he was in Germany?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by beezzer

I don't get it. Are you saying you have a problem with the fact that a hurrican just hit an area that was completely unprepared for the event? That hurricane is up near our area right now. We're in West Michigan, and we're getting weather that is worse than usual because of the hurricane.

I'm a little upset that you seem to be implying our concern for the unfortunate souls on the east coast is uncalled for. Are you there? Are you in the middle of that? I've seen pictures recently updated to my Facebook, the area is FLOODED. Literally, over two feet of water...and rising! If that isn't cause for concern and hype, then we've lost all compassion.

That's what I'm hearing from you, Beezer. "Less compassion, it's just a little water! Why are you so empathic towards these people? They don't need your help or sympathy! We've seen worse!"

Who cares if you've seen worse? They are facing a very difficult time right now, and if you were in the same situation, you would be saying this, would you? And if you were, I'd be mightily surprised.

Have a heart. You're not there, so you can't even BEGIN to complain. I'm quite a distance from the storm and we're still seeing the effects. Where are you? Nice and warm and safe. You don't even know. Shame on you!

See?

Zero sum thinking. So because Beezer thinks that a regional storm is being overbroadcast to the world, he obviously hates everyone who gets a single raindrop on their head from that storm. And he obviously is calling for the immediate drowning of all infirm and infants in the storms path.

For the love of God, people. Get a grip. Zero sum thinking is for the morons. I expect more from ATS.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by beezzer

After a week of non-stop news, people were still unprepared?

I already apologised to anyone that requires hype and lacks common sense and a rational approach to this event.

Don't put words in my mouth! Did I even state that? Please source it for me.

Huh?

My issue is with the media.

Not the tragedy that has occured to so many.

But if you feel that hype and lack of reason is an approach you embrace, then I will apologise to you as well.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join