It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 Trillion people affected, 13 Bajillion dollars in damage, Hurricane Sandy and media hype

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Over-reacting can be just as dangerous as under-reacting.

Forewarned is forearmed no?
edit on 29-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Where does the responsibility lie then?
president/media etc to get the message through.

So common sense and personal responsibility are off the table?

Has America become so immune to events that we require hype to motivate them?
No to prepare them ...

So we have to rely on others to be prepared?
Well yes unless you are well versed in
weather that has not yet happened like say a meterologist.. do we all have this skill??

As stated in the previous posts, common sense should dictate, if you're in danger, leave.

We don't need high drama on the television to induce people to leave.

Or do we need hype now?

Has the populace been so conditioned that hype is now the required norm?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

You're introducing common sense into the picture now.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

I'm also BLOWN away like you by the absolute HYPE by media and the non stop chicken littles who are afraid of water, rain, wind, etc

By the way you are talking here you have not been in a life threatening storm.

If you had you would show some empathy and understand

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Where does the responsibility lie then?
president/media etc to get the message through.

So common sense and personal responsibility are off the table?

No to prepare them ...

weather that has not yet happened like say a meterologist.. do we all have this skill??

As stated in the previous posts, common sense should dictate, if you're in danger, leave.

We don't need high drama on the television to induce people to leave.
Not everyone is skilled in meterorology my freind tell me without media
how do you personally know what where the storm would come or hit please tell me?.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

how do you personally know what where the storm would come or hit please tell me?.

You're right! The media has a responsibility to report the event.

Not to sell it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Not to sell it.

Chance favours the prepared mind my carrot crunching freind

Peace ...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Not to sell it.

Chance favours the prepared mind my carrot crunching freind

Peace ...

Exactly.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

yes to both statements.
forewarned is one thing ... what the msm is delivering is entirely something else.

try not to forget, Benghazi was fore-warned, 9/11 was fore-warned, Pearl Harbor was fore-warned ... sometimes, you can scream it from the rooftops, it still doesn't motivate those who need to be.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

yes to both statements.
forewarned is one thing ... what the msm is delivering is entirely something else.

try not to forget, Benghazi was fore-warned, 9/11 was fore-warned, Pearl Harbor was fore-warned ... sometimes, you can scream it from the rooftops, it still doesn't motivate those who need to be.

They give them eyes but they do not see or ears that they do not hear with however
This is a bit different from the 9/11 as if the media actually said on the day that this was going to
happen then chance would definatley favour the prepared mind per se..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

No to prepare them ...
Unless you are a meterologist yes i am afraid.

Common sense says listen to the media unless you are psychic or have ESP.

Peace

edit on 30-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Not to sell it.

Kind of hard not to sell it when 60 million people are affected by it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Not to sell it.

Kind of hard not to sell it when 60 million people are affected by it.

Sonny, I will restate that it is a bad storm. I will restate that it is a tragedy for the lives lost.

But I also have to restate that common sense should dictate action.
The media can and does report.

It is the manner inwhich they report, that I find issue with. The hype, apparently is required now in order to "sell" the importance of the event.

It isn't enough just to say, "There's a bad storm coming. Be prepared, or leave."

Now they have to stage dramatic interviews, put reporters in the most extreme circumstances, just to get the point across.

Is it the media?

Or has America become so jaded and lax that these measures need to be taken?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is only half the battle...

It is testing times we live in, so we as a whole must pull together and help those during this storm

It's not a case of thank god for rednecks but thank god for metorologists who work
tiresly day and night.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We both know the Media hypes everything.

Hell, look at the Tsunami warning for Hawaii?

Then again, Scientists "claimed" there was a chance of 11 ft. Waves too. So...............

If ANYONE really wanted to know, or prepare themselves, then the Weather channel is the only "news" they should have been watching. Not Fox, Not CNN.

Also, look to the past, for what can happen when you don't prepare. Even the best prepares can never be fully prepared.

Like you said. Leave.

Americans have become so preoccupied with what the TV says, that their own common sense is diluted to how many megapixels their TV's has, and how crystal clear they can see the storm coming. Too bad they cant just open the door, to see the craps on their doorstep, hey?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This came into my head in a dream i had a month ago, that the eastern seaboard would
see rising floods..

Just listen

peace to all....

edit on 30-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Americans have become so preoccupied with what the TV says, that their own common sense is diluted to how many megapixels their TV's has, and how crystal clear they can see the storm coming. Too bad they cant just open the door, to see the craps on their doorstep, hey?

It took 10 pages, but an answer has emerged! Well fracking said!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is only half the battle...

It is testing times we live in, so we as a whole must pull together and help those during this storm

It's not a case of thank god for rednecks but thank god for metorologists who work
tiresly day and night.

I can't find anything you said to disagree with.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I am happy some of you mentioned the 11 dead... let us talk about those people for a minute. In all seriousness, all jokes aside.

This is my statement from another thread, that I was asked to remove myself from because I refuse to subscribe to the doom and gloom.

. Just like those inland who are panicking are putting their own loves in danger by doing so. These are the people we see about on the news who are hiding on the top floor of their homes that have big trees falling on the roof. These are the people who sit by the windows and they suddenly shatter under the pressure of 80 mph winds. They are far too busy stressing out and panicking to use a little common sense that they endanger themselves when they don't have to and the reality is, they should simply stay indoors and be aware of the potential of rising water, falling trees, breaking windows. Very simple things that can easily be foreseen by using your head.

I also suggested getting to the most lower level of your home in the event of falling trees and explained that the upper levels of a home would take the impact and slow or even stop the tree before it reaches the lower levels. A minor detail that could very well save your life. Feel free to go through the thread and find the exact quote.

Now let us look at these 11 deaths....

example #1.

Claudene Christian, one of two missing people from the HMS Bounty, has been found dead, the U.S. Coast Guard said. The ship sank off the North Carolina coast earlier Monday, and 14 crew members were subsequently rescued. The Coast Guard is still looking for 63-year-old Robin Walbridge, the ship's captain.

Do I need to point out how foolish it is to be on a boat in the middle of this storm? A death that could have been avoided using common sense.

example #2

A man was killed by a falling tree in Queens, a borough of New York City, fire department spokesman Frank Dwyer said. The 30-year-old man was inside his house when the tree fell on him, said New York police spokesman John Grimpel.

What was it I said about falling trees?

example #3

One person was killed when a falling tree struck three family members in Mansfield, Connecticut, as they were heading Monday evening to a neighbor's home that still had power,

Yeah here was some brilliant people. Let us jump in the car during a hurricane and drive to another house that had power. Again, another death that could have been completely avoided had they stayed indoors and rode out the storm.

example #4

A 48-year-old woman was killed Monday in Davis, West Virginia, when her car collided with a cement truck while driving on a road covered with five inches of snow,

What does common sense tell us about driving in these storms? Now combine this with the higher elevation of a snow covered roadway and it was clearly a poor choice to make and this is a death that could have been avoided.

example #5

Two people in Morris County, New Jersey, were killed Monday evening when a tree fell on their car,

Again, why are you out driving in your car during a hurricane? The winds were blowing in the afternoon, these deaths happened in the evening and is posted at 9:48 pm EST. Several hours after the start of this storm. Again, a pointless death that was easily avoided.

And the examples just keep coming. Each one easily avoided using common sense and being aware of the situation you are in and the potential of what dangers go along with sustained high winds and rising waters.

It is sad these people died, it really is, but that does not change the fact that these deaths could have easily been avoided had people used common sense, stayed clam, remained indoors and did not eat up the fear that the TV was pumping up.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

i appreciate your contribution but we're not discussing 9/11 (especially since they had months advance warning yet allowed over 3000 and counting to die, UNnecessarily), we're discussing forewarning vs fear-mongering.
there is a solid difference between the two and how a potential threat is presented.

no one, including me has been downplaying the potential of this storm, but plenty of us are down with the msm perpetuating end time scenarios and fear fantasizing merely to spur sales/ratings more than anything else and in whatever manner they can git'r'dun.

never forgetting the possibility that this particular storm may be a direct result of their own weather manipulations.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join