It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to cut medical benefits for active, retired military, not union workers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Well which do you want to see? Military medical benefit cuts or Romney's "Big Bird" and other entitlement cuts? There are just some things that should not be cut. The majority of military folks don't exactly make all that wonderful wages. Plus what if they get severely wounded while in service, and can't work a normal job? Where will they get all the extra money to pay the new premium rates? This is going to create hardships.

And Obama will do it. Medicare has already been cut by $200 billion over 10 years (bandaid applied so seniors don't notice this prior to the election). Welcome to Obamacare.

Military personnel would see their annual Tricare premiums increase anywhere from 30 - 78 percent in the first year, followed by sharply increased premiums "ranging from 94 percent to 345 percent—more than 3 times current levels."

The move, congressional aides suggested, is to force those individuals into Obamacare, Bill Gertz reported at the Washington Beacon

Obama to cut medical benefits for active, retired military, not union workers

OR how about we cut some of that defense budget and allocate it to taking care of our TROOPs. You would think that keeping their soldiers and ex soldiers healthy would be included into the military budget.

that budget is too big and we have no idea what the money is being used for. for all we know it is a slush fund for some individuals. we need to turn down our war machine from overkill mode and take care of our people here in our country .

Maybe you should look at things differently instead of regurgitating the talking points put into your head by the media

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

6 or 7 different Teachers teach my children a particular subject for 50 minutes each day Mon-Fri.
They do not raise my children. I do that.

Police officers do not provide Homeland security. In all reality, they are not even obligated to protect you or your possessions, they are there to investigate crimes and try to bring the criminals to justice.
Like the old saying goes: When seconds matter the Police are only minutes away.

Police do not raise my children either btw.

I do agree that there is a lot of wasteful spending within the military things such as year end money that has to be used or lose it is ridiculous and should be halted immediately.
Problem is, they are too quick to just pull the plug on the benefits and people instead of addressing the real problems.
15 years ago there was talk of halting the 20 year retirement in favor of a 401k type deal, this way the govt would be done paying a person the day they left service. It was shot down. why? we would now be within 5 years of seeing no more retirement payments for life for retirees, that would have saved billions.
Bottom Line, stop stealing benefits that were promised to those who already served and instead address the problems that exists and change the system for the future recruits.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

As long as people keep joining, what benefit would it be to take care of ex soldiers? There is no incentive in it for them, as long as new young blood keep falling for it and joining. Ex soldiers are of no use to the war machine. Cast aside like the used tools they are. Cheaper and more efficient to keep making new tools, than to keep the used ones in good repair. Sad but true.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Whether a person volunteers or was drafted is irrelevent. They served when our nation put out the call and because of that we owe them.

While I am not a fan in any way shape or form of universal health care I do beleive it should be there for our military members who have served.

Making sure their medical / health / mental needs are taken care of for life is the least we can do for their service.

As for thanking vets, buying food etc I do the same thing.. We have some military facilities in the area my city is in and I have come across military members on some of my calls for service. I make it a point now to look them in the eye and thank them and ask if they need anything.

One of the more emotional encounters ive been in was in a fast food resteraunt. After eating I noticed a vietnam vet sitting at a table drinking coffee. I walked up to him, shook his hand and thanked him. The guy about broke down in tears.

While they are suppose to be non political, the military sure is used politically by all parties. We should not extend those politics to the realm of healthcare / benefiets / taking care of those people who did in combat what the politicians couldnt do at the negotiating table.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouSir

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by elouina

Im in favor of cutting the federal governments benefiets, from the President, to Congress, to all the political minions of any party who value themselves over those who have served this nation.

Before anyone tries to make the argument, Congress and the President dont serve the nation - they rape it any chance they get.
Ummm....Wow Xcathdra, I finally find myself in a thread where I agree with your statement, I even gave you a coveted "star" award as well. It just goes to show that if you stay the course, things come round full circle and the heavens align. Maybe there's hope for this country after all.........

Well met on this one.

YouSir

Chances are we agree on more issues than you may think... People tend to take my posts as a defense of something rather than me providing the other side of the story. Constrary to popular belief there is a difference between the 2.

I am in favor of smaller government, fiscal responsibility, individual rights including a strong 2nd amednment to the individual and restrictions for the government, among other things. My oath takes precedence over politics and illegal orders.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The worst thing happened to Romney and Ryan so far, and that is they wanted to cut FEMA. What bad timing for them. This is the worst thing to happen to their campaign with this terrible disaster. it just doesn't look good for them to have let that stinky black cat out of the bag.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I know my idea has some flaws, but what do you think of it?

I'd like to know.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Xcathdra

I know my idea has some flaws, but what do you think of it?

I'd like to know.

I think it should be voluntary only, and only at the request of the vets and not the other way around. I dont think they should be coerced / forced etc into taking a lump sum, especially if the wool is pulled over their eyes by the bean counters playing on the patriotic duty argument.

I think if cuts bneed to be made it should occur with Congress / Exeutive salaries / benefiets first.. I think we need to go back to a crappy government wage with a decent retirement as a reward for public service. Government salaries should never exceed private salaries, benefits, etc etc etc.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouSir

reply to post by elouina

Im in favor of cutting the federal governments benefiets, from the President, to Congress, to all the political minions of any party who value themselves over those who have served this nation.

Before anyone tries to make the argument, Congress and the President dont serve the nation - they rape it any chance they get.
Ummm....Wow Xcathdra, I finally find myself in a thread where I agree with your statement, I even gave you a coveted "star" award as well. It just goes to show that if you stay the course, things come round full circle and the heavens align. Maybe there's hope for this country after all.........

Well met on this one.

YouSir

Chances are we agree on more issues than you may think... People tend to take my posts as a defense of something rather than me providing the other side of the story. Constrary to popular belief there is a difference between the 2.

I am in favor of smaller government, fiscal responsibility, individual rights including a strong 2nd amednment to the individual and restrictions for the government, among other things. My oath takes precedence over politics and illegal orders.

Ummm......Now it's just scary......I could have and...have stated everything you just said, in various posts. No, I never did consider the contrarian approach previously in your posts, ironic is'nt it? I'll keep that in mind and will make the effort to quell my knee-jerkedness in the future.....again, well met.

YouSir

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join