It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone ever spent a long time alone in a wilderness?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenKnow
Hello, I am new to ATS and this is my first post. I just wanted to just share my experience of solitude.

Born In the early 80's and raised in Los Angeles I was of course apart of that generation that lived on a steady diet of television and Nintendo. I lived in a place where the roads were crowded, classrooms were crowded and stimuli of every kind continually vied for my attention.

I Cant say that I was particularly bothered by it or even really gave it much thought, I knew nothing else and the commonality of it made it all but invisible, and actually when it came to the entertainment aspect of it I would say i liked it.

Fast forward to the early 2000's. By this time i'm in my mid twenties and the novelty of the reckless abandonment I enjoyed in my late teens and early twenties was wearing thin. I had started to become more introspective, reading more and earnestly searching for more meaning in my life.

One evening I found myself at a party. I found a few of my friends hanging out in one of the back rooms chatting with a guy who had recently moved to town and who wound up living with one of our friends.

It turned out he was from Alaska and his family owned a business near Denali national park where he had also lived. For those of you who don't know this is located between Fairbanks and Anchorage and is literally in the middle of no where and was the setting for "Into The Wild". The conversation turned to wishing we could leave our home town for some sort of adventure. It was then that our new friend invited us to work the summer in Alaska.

So that summer myself and a few buddies made the trek up to Denali to work for our friends family during the tourist season. It was great! We got to hike, drink, meet cool travelers from all over the world, and when the season ended we were all gearing up to head back home to the lower 48.

However I was given the opportunity to stay on the property in the off season in one of the A frame cabins they rented to tourists. I was to perform the basic duties of keeping an eye out for squatters and to shovel and plow the endless piles of snow. It would be a 8 month stay in an area almost deserted during the off season.

Now to the relevant part of the story. As summer jumped straight into winter, I suddenly found my self living alone in a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness without a radio, internet, or television. It was me, a stack of books and a whole lot of time.

Almost immediately I panicked. I had that feeling prisoners must have when they hear the cell door shut behind them. That feeling of "what have I done" and an understanding that you're in it for the long haul.

The first few weeks continued to be filled with anxiety and I greatly struggled with the lack of external stimulation I was accustomed to. I just paced around allot. I tried to journal and read, but the silence was deafening. My thoughts raced and I felt extremely disoriented.

But as the weeks went on things began to change. My mind began to rest, the restlessness of the situation gave way to a feeling of peace I had never encountered, and I started to feel extremely aware. I felt as though a fog I didn't know was there had lifted, and my sense of self and of my environment took on a new dimension.

I read and understood in a way i couldn't before. Every word was extremely vivid and often accompanied by strong visualization of the material. I wrote with a clarity and originality i had never experienced, venturing into areas of thought completely new to me and I just felt as if every sense was heightened. I, in a strange way, felt clean. It was an experience that has continued to shape my life to this day.

I know your thread is asking about the supernatural component to solitude and all I can really say to that is there were indeed some other worldly things i did experience. I did not have contact with ghosts or aliens or anything like that, but I did encounter for a lack of a better word "voices'.

The Voice I encountered wasn't audible I don't think, but It felt as though it did come from outside myself. I felt comforted by it and I felt that it would direct my attention to things that really moved or enlightened me in some way. what I encountered that winter would eventually set me on my current path of being an artist and writer focusing on perception and cognitive states.

So that's my story of isolation. I am not a monk or particularly pious, but for me there was absolutely something bordering on mystical that i encountered in the silence.

Thanks for your input. I cannot comprehend spending so much time in isolation...My grandfather lived isolated for many years, alone in the countryside...and he was pretty much unable to live with people, after so much time alone haha...A cranky old guy...I am sure he seen a few weird things however.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreshAirGirl
Had to laugh at your theory. Best kept that way. I live in a very isolated area in BC on top of a mountain. Go to town maybe twice a month. Have lived here for 13 years. I am a women. I am 49 years old. Why would ghosts or aliens or anything for that matter think that a quiet life makes me any different from you or the next person. I'm not any different from anybody else. Not extraordinary in any way. I just enjoy the peace and quiet. I hate the big city. I visit my family a couple times a year in Calgary. Everybody is in a hurry to get everywhere. The faster they go it seems the more they spin their wheels all for not. People need to take it down a notch. Their so busy doing nothing and buying stuff that they have forgotten what it is that really gives us literally life and our existance. THIS PLANET. She needs to be observed and appreciated more. As far as Aliens. Its dark at night. Pitch black so ya you get to observe the night sky unobstructed without all the background light of the city. Beautiful. I see as many UFO"S as the next person who's actually making a point of keeping watch for them. Sadly most people do not know how to live like this or alone by choice. Society has created co dependence on everything and each other. Most people are very uncomfortable being alone and would not last long. I have dogs and horses. They are much better company than most people. People these days are so out of touch with the REAL WORLD their hardly even human.

Me and my wife live at the end of a one way, dead end road, in the desert.
I do not think most people would ever understand our life.
In their minds they cannot fathom how we as couple can survive a relationship
24/7 days a week and get along.
We can not fathom how people can spend their lives in what we call the amusement park, they call town.
They try monthly to lure us out of our home, that we call paradise.
We go get supplies twice a month as you, say we could chat at that time.
but that never fits their schedule as they stand in line, for their amusement park rides.

edit on 29-10-2012 by Rudy2shoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Rudy2shoes

Well that is one thing I can understand...I would think one of the only ways to keep a marriage together these days..would indeed to be very far removed from society...I mean there is nobody you can cheat with then..haha...

Seriously though when two people rely on each other for companionship is does form a very strong bond...so I like the idea of being married out in the wilderness...Good for you.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBlackHat

Well that is one thing I can understand...I would think one of the only ways to keep a marriage together these days..would indeed to be very far removed from society...I mean there is nobody you can cheat with then..haha...

Seriously though when two people rely on each other for companionship is does form a very strong bond...so I like the idea of being married out in the wilderness...Good for you.

Thank You
We keep each other going,
when the well breaks and we have no water,
or there is a wildfire a half mile away, etc.
We remind each other, each day,
this is our life, and want to keep it that way.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I've spent two weeks camping alone out in the middle of nowhere. About the only thing I can attest to is, after you've been camping by yourself in grizzly and wolf territory you begin to wonder if you're being cased for a meal. I actually wasted a rather expensive shaft, broad head to a tree for this very reason. It was raining, I heard a creak in the bushes, was convinced it was a wolf and loosed an arrow and ran for the truck. Come morning, I went to inspect the noise, and found nothing but my arrow buried deep in a cedar.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBlackHat

did you forget about that squaw root.
Conopholis americana
edit on 29-10-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Beautiful story. I'm ready to have such a experience.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FreshAirGirl

You have my dream life.

I once lived in Kansas, one house i rented was out in the middle of no where, my nearest neighbor was
3 miles away. I have to say it is one of my favorite places to live besides montana.

It was not unusual for me to walk outside and stand and watch deer, or turkey's or other wildlife, not from a distance, but from almost within touching range.

My goal is to find a location such as yours for when i retire. Right now we are in a small town 300 people, not my favorite place to live, but with kids in school, it works. But once they are grown. Put the house on the market and start looking for a place such as yours.

I agree , i go to town once or twice a month, and watch everyone who is in a huge hurry to get no where... stuipd people speed by me and weave in and out of traffic, only to find them self beside me at the next red light. I dont get the mentality of it.. People need to slow down and relax a bit and take a moment to appreciate where they are and what they are seeing and experiencing. Life is short, dont rush it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackHat

One thing that's kind of nice about living far out (I lived in northern Minnesota as a kid, spent a lot of time in the boundary waters area too) is for the most part people mind their own business, and the neighbors that you do have are always willing to help if you need it. I remember the Amish were particularly helpful to my family. The flipside to this is that it's very easy to conduct evil and nefarious activities , esp. if you have the cooperation of whatever local law enforcement exists. I never did experience anything paranormal or what I would consider ET activity due to my location, though.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bangoli

The flipside to this is that it's very easy to conduct evil and nefarious activities , esp. if you have the cooperation of whatever local law enforcement exists.

This sounds interesting..
Im curious to hear more about this....Im guessing you talking about drug labs etc

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I live in the country myself, I often go off alone on hikes and camps way off the beaten path in the woods. Sometimes for weeks at a time.

I have seen a giant triangle UFO before, but that was on the taconic state parkway back in NY. Out in the wilderness the only things I ever see is beautiful wildlife. I think it would be very cool to catch a bigfoot sighting, although I would probably just end up screaming in terror and running away

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I wouldn't classify it as a "long time" since it's weeks rather than months or years, but a couple of times a year I'll head off for solo hiking trips. I have only ever had one "experience" on a solo trip - I believe this was paranormal in origin since I'm the scariest thing out there in the Australian bush, but I have had two UFO sightings years back while camping. Both UFO events had multiple witnesses.

Great thread.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenKnow

Could you see how someone could go insane in this type of situation though?

But also.. like they say.. it's a fine line between genius and madness. Having this kind of unique perspective in our society could seem insane to people... so could a Jesus in his era too.

I forgot to mention something.. I read something from John Lear recently on another forum and he said something about how if you want a weird experience - I think he meant a bad experience - he said to walk deep out into the forest at night away from any civilization without any kind of technology, weapon or light and you would have some weird experience. He didn't say what would happen but he is someone that has said that aliens are responsible for abducting us and people disappearing.

It's too much to go into here but I will say that I personally don't believe Lear.. I feel he has other motives. Just my .02. But i thought that might be relevant to this thread if he is on the up and up and I am wrong.

edit on 1-11-2012 by 8311-XHT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 8311-XHT

If someone does that, I would say they are an idiot. If they vanish, it's probably not aliens. It could be wolves, coyotes, bears, and a host of other creatures that live in the woods, maybe even bigfoot

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by 8311-XHT

If someone does that, I would say they are an idiot. If they vanish, it's probably not aliens. It could be wolves, coyotes, bears, and a host of other creatures that live in the woods, maybe even bigfoot

That was exactly what I thought when I first saw his comment. haha

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nottelling
I wouldn't classify it as a "long time" since it's weeks rather than months or years, but a couple of times a year I'll head off for solo hiking trips. I have only ever had one "experience" on a solo trip - I believe this was paranormal in origin since I'm the scariest thing out there in the Australian bush, but I have had two UFO sightings years back while camping. Both UFO events had multiple witnesses.

Great thread.

Would be great to hear about what happened on your paranormal experience. if your the scariest thing in the Aussie bush...maybe the alien's don't want to take any chances messing with you?? Only joking.

Your post got me was thinking about the aboriginals going on their epic walk abouts in the bush...funny how a culture can be so at home alone in the wilderness...but for most of us now...in "civilization" like myself...the idea of being out there alone...is now hard to even imagine...just shows you how we have not only domesticated cats and dogs etc..but we have really screwed ourselves over too...when the natural wilderness is something to be weary or uneasy about. obviously not with most of the respondents to this thread though...Hopefully before too long Ill get out there too...I think id rather take my chances with the snakes, bears and wolves...than todays society.
Thanks for the input mate.

edit on 1-11-2012 by TheBlackHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreshAirGirl
Had to laugh at your theory. Best kept that way. I live in a very isolated area in BC on top of a mountain. Go to town maybe twice a month. Have lived here for 13 years. I am a women. I am 49 years old. Why would ghosts or aliens or anything for that matter think that a quiet life makes me any different from you or the next person. I'm not any different from anybody else. Not extraordinary in any way. I just enjoy the peace and quiet. I hate the big city. I visit my family a couple times a year in Calgary. Everybody is in a hurry to get everywhere. The faster they go it seems the more they spin their wheels all for not. People need to take it down a notch. Their so busy doing nothing and buying stuff that they have forgotten what it is that really gives us literally life and our existance. THIS PLANET. She needs to be observed and appreciated more. As far as Aliens. Its dark at night. Pitch black so ya you get to observe the night sky unobstructed without all the background light of the city. Beautiful. I see as many UFO"S as the next person who's actually making a point of keeping watch for them. Sadly most people do not know how to live like this or alone by choice. Society has created co dependence on everything and each other. Most people are very uncomfortable being alone and would not last long. I have dogs and horses. They are much better company than most people. People these days are so out of touch with the REAL WORLD their hardly even human.

I'm in deadmonton... Can't stand it here anymore. Actually my best friend did sort of what you're describing. He loves it. The more I visit him the more I'm thinking I'd like to do that too one day. Sounds like a lot of fun and peaceful. How do you like it?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I've had what I believe is a paranormal encounter with a poltergeist while I was camped near the site of a 1940s plane crash I was studying. It was a clear and calm autumn evening and I woke to my tarp being shaken violently. I sprang out of my sleeping bag and there was no wind. I checked out the perimeter of my campsite with a spotlight out to about 50 metres and did not encounter a soul, let alone an animal. I believe the site was haunted since I ran into a platoon of Army reserve soldiers the following day and the Corporal I was chatting to essentially told me I was nuts for camping out there alone. He wouldn't go into detail, but said they won't go anywhere near that particular area during their periodic training weekends out there.

I think you're onto something about modern First World humans being too domesticated. I find it amazing to think that a 35 year old urban-dwelling westerner can be scared of the dark out in a wilderness area. Each to their own I guess.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Having had some weird experiences that I attribute to my issues with sleepwalking and sleep paralysis, I have to say my weird-sh*t-o-meter pegs in the woods or in town in about equal parts.

That said, my brothers' experiences are nearly all in the woods, but we grew up out in the middle of the sticks with the nearest neighbor a mile down the road, so you have to factor in "where were you most of the time" into the thing.

Since I seem to attract this sort of thing, my brothers HATE being out in the wilderness with me. Nothing is more fun than to be out in the middle of nowhere and start spinning them up. Ah, good times.

/hey, what was that light in the trees over there? Did you see that?

edit to add: I might add, I also had a LOT of fun spinning up privates out at NTC. If you're in the butt end of nowhere near Barstow, and there's no moon at all, you can keep your watch awake for DAYS with "the legend of the Army guys you didn't hear about at Roswell", especially if they're city guys.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
As an educated guess I would expect less than 1% of the western Population of Earth have spent more than 3 days and nights alone in the wilderness.

I once spent seven days alone ...watching the stars at night ....feeling the rotation of the earth.
Life is so very short...Iam glad this little feat could be mine.

All I can say is that love helps you when you choose this path...but you need to be open and brave.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join