It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Collective Consciousness?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Excuse the pedantry

What is the Collective Consciousness?

I’ve heard people express many times that there is growing collective consciousness throughout humanity. Of course, one could never show or find this entity in an actual state of growing, but it at least serves its purpose as a decent metaphor for something. Maybe it would help to better describe that phenomena if we look at it aside from the implications of labelling it with a noun. What is that thing?

A man who lived alone in the woods would never perceive the phenomena of a growing collective consciousness. He doesn’t have access to an internet and is immune from constant updates from friends and twitter followers. He cannot have real-time information on hand without the avenues to access such information. His ‘consciousness’ cannot grow collectively as he isn’t in any way connected collectively via an internet or television. The amount to which he is aware of his surroundings and situation grows on its own accord, un-collectively. One must be physically connected through any medium to be considered part of a collective.

With the internet, some of our senses have more access to imagery and sounds from around the world, and we are all able to witness and experience those images and sounds. Although we are not directly experiencing the situations we see on the news, we nonetheless are sensually introduced to pieces and abstractions of those past moments, and we are able to remember them as actual events. Our ‘consciousness is raised’ on the subject—whether it be a video of someone’s cat, or a debate between politicians.

If millions of people watch Gangam-style, it is safe to say that the collective consciousness in regards to that video has risen. They share an experience in common with many others and are able to remind themselves of it for discussion or reflection.

In order for the ‘consciousness-raising’ of Gangam-style to appear collective—for it to labelled collective—there needs to be a collective acknowledgement of having experienced the video. Sharing that fact and by providing their opinions and the discussion on the topic, gives the appearance that a collective consciousness is rising, more people are aware of the topic and we know that they’re aware, the fact that we know that they know, and vice versa.

It would seem that there is no such entity as a collective consciousness permeating like mist throughout the masses—only a chatter about, and relation to, a common subject or experience. The “collective consciousness” is the extent to which many people share an experience in common, and this phenomena only receives this label if there is an ensuing discussion about the common experience. The 'collective consciousness' could be more simply described as a common memory shared between many people.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

I get the feeling that this term has been coined after Carl Jung's collective unconscious. Collective unconscious is a set of common unconscious thought processes associated with all of the humanity THROUGHOUT THE AGES. The nature of this collective unconscious is manifested in religions, myths, and rituals. Collective consciousness, I am afraid, is simply referring to consensus.
If you can collective make everyone to think the same way, you can collectively force make everyone to think differently.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
We are the "collective consciousness." The fact is, the collective consciousness is an essense of energy and thought wavelengths; which is self aware and experiences itself subjectively, that is why we each have individual perspective and free will, but are all interconnected by spirit.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiForce

I get the feeling that this term has been coined after Carl Jung's collective unconscious. Collective unconscious is a set of common unconscious thought processes associated with all of the humanity THROUGHOUT THE AGES. The nature of this collective unconscious is manifested in religions, myths, and rituals. Collective consciousness, I am afraid, is simply referring to consensus.
If you can collective make everyone to think the same way, you can collectively force make everyone to think differently.

I agree. 'Consensus,' rather than collective consciousness, is a better term to use, and holds no sort of spiritual implications.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19
We are the "collective consciousness." The fact is, the collective consciousness is an essense of energy and thought wavelengths; which is self aware and experiences itself subjectively, that is why we each have individual perspective and free will, but are all interconnected by spirit.

How so? Please elaborate?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The hundredth monkey phenomenon?

The Japanese monkey, Macaca Fuscata, had been observed in the wild for a period of over 30 years. In 1952, on the island of Koshima, scientists were providing monkeys with sweet potatoes dropped in the sand. The monkey liked the taste of the raw sweet potatoes, but they found the dirt unpleasant. An 18-month-old female named Imo found she could solve the problem by washing the potatoes in a nearby stream. She taught this trick to her mother. Her playmates also learned this new way and they taught their mothers too. This cultural innovation was gradually picked up by various monkeys before the eyes of the scientists. Between 1952 and 1958 all the young monkeys learned to wash the sandy sweet potatoes to make them more palatable. Only the adults who imitated their children learned this social improvement. Other adults kept eating the dirty sweet potatoes. Then something startling took place. In the autumn of 1958, a certain number of Koshima monkeys were washing sweet potatoes -- the exact number is not known. Let us suppose that when the sun rose one morning there were 99 monkeys on Koshima Island who had learned to wash their sweet potatoes. Let's further suppose that later that morning, the hundredth monkey learned to wash potatoes. THEN IT HAPPENED! By that evening almost everyone in the tribe was washing sweet potatoes before eating them. The added energy of this hundredth monkey somehow created an ideological breakthrough! But notice: A most surprising thing observed by these scientists was that the habit of washing sweet potatoes then jumped over the sea...Colonies of monkeys on other islands and the mainland troop of monkeys at Takasakiyama began washing their sweet potatoes. Thus, when a certain critical number achieves an awareness, this new awareness may be communicated from mind to mind. Although the exact number may vary, this Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon means that when only a limited number of people know of a new way, it may remain the conscious property of these people. But there is a point at which if only one more person tunes-in to a new awareness, a field is strengthened so that this awareness is picked up by almost everyone!

www.wowzone.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

I think that's just the new age talk.... To become this ultra consciousness having the ability to sense and see the world far beyond our experiences, you need to understand and to experience the collective unconscious thought processes throughout various ages in the human history. This spiritual consciousness is far beyond free will and energy.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hurdygurdy
The hundredth monkey phenomenon?

The Japanese monkey, Macaca Fuscata, had been observed in the wild for a period of over 30 years. In 1952, on the island of Koshima, scientists were providing monkeys with sweet potatoes dropped in the sand. The monkey liked the taste of the raw sweet potatoes, but they found the dirt unpleasant. An 18-month-old female named Imo found she could solve the problem by washing the potatoes in a nearby stream. She taught this trick to her mother. Her playmates also learned this new way and they taught their mothers too. This cultural innovation was gradually picked up by various monkeys before the eyes of the scientists. Between 1952 and 1958 all the young monkeys learned to wash the sandy sweet potatoes to make them more palatable. Only the adults who imitated their children learned this social improvement. Other adults kept eating the dirty sweet potatoes. Then something startling took place. In the autumn of 1958, a certain number of Koshima monkeys were washing sweet potatoes -- the exact number is not known. Let us suppose that when the sun rose one morning there were 99 monkeys on Koshima Island who had learned to wash their sweet potatoes. Let's further suppose that later that morning, the hundredth monkey learned to wash potatoes. THEN IT HAPPENED! By that evening almost everyone in the tribe was washing sweet potatoes before eating them. The added energy of this hundredth monkey somehow created an ideological breakthrough! But notice: A most surprising thing observed by these scientists was that the habit of washing sweet potatoes then jumped over the sea...Colonies of monkeys on other islands and the mainland troop of monkeys at Takasakiyama began washing their sweet potatoes. Thus, when a certain critical number achieves an awareness, this new awareness may be communicated from mind to mind. Although the exact number may vary, this Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon means that when only a limited number of people know of a new way, it may remain the conscious property of these people. But there is a point at which if only one more person tunes-in to a new awareness, a field is strengthened so that this awareness is picked up by almost everyone!

www.wowzone.com...

Not showing any disrespect to the monkeys but I certainly won't try to study behavioral patterns of monkeys to understand Enlightenment.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Okay, well it is inevitable to believe everything has already been said and done on this planet. So basically, every idea (energy) we experience in our minds is quite unoriginal, but we are given the opportunity to experience that idea and use our free will (sense of self and individuality) on this plane of existence to our desires.

The ideas, thoughts, experiences, feelings, and sensations are intangible; they take the form of energy in a form of consciousness. The "collective consciousness" is a record database of everything you can fathom. It is proven consciousness exists outside the human brain, and is a mere self-replicating force for beings to dwell in that 3rd dimensional experience of being human. So in a sense, the "collective consciousness" is an interconnected web of energy which each being in this dimensional plane ALL have access to in order to aquire wisdom, knowledge, and higher thoughts with or without prior experience.

Remember, we are not human beings, we are souls having a human experience. Do not limit yourself to mundane philosophy, it only limits your level of consciousness.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiForce

I am familiar with Jung; I do study psychology in college. First of all, the collective unconscious is merely supressed memories within the vast amounts of individuals in this reality. Every memory holds energy to it through thought and visualizations, and those whom have an emotional attachment to it unconsciously cannot face the physical and mental pain consciously. Therefore, each memory lays dormant in a pool of repressed thoughts as a collective unconscious across this plane.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Who's talking about enlightenment? For thousands of years, mankind has collectively agreed that war and bloodshed was an acceptable means to an end. We collectively agree to be governed by ruthless leaders who sacrifice young warriors in the prime of their lives and few people question the insanity of it.

Collectively, we could change this mindset.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I am familiar with Jung; I do study psychology in college. First of all, the collective unconscious is merely supressed memories within the vast amounts of individuals in this reality. Every memory holds energy to it through thought and visualizations, and those whom have an emotional attachment to it unconsciously cannot face the physical and mental pain consciously. Therefore, each memory lays dormant in a pool of repressed thoughts as a collective unconscious across this plane.

You couldn't have studied Carl Jung in college because Carl Jung's Analytical Psychology is far from your traditional clinical psychology. To know his works, you have to understand the role and purpose of religions and mythologies in a society. No, he didn't talk about energy. That's just the new age talk. The collective unconscious isn't suppressed because it isn't personal by nature. Is more than just a memory. Is sort of like our DNA of mental blue prints. Is how we develop and grow as a person in relation to our society. This explains why some people can dreams about the historical pasts more than few centuries ago. Or having dreams and visions about certain religious and mythological heroes.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

...in addition to our immediate consciousness, which is of a thoroughly personal nature and which we believe to be the only empirical psyche (even if we tack on the personal unconscious as an appendix), there exists a second psychic system of a collective, universal, and impersonal nature which is identical in all individuals. This collective unconscious does not develop individually but is inherited. It consists of pre-existent forms, the archetypes, which can only become conscious secondarily and which give definite form to certain psychic contents.”.[1]

Source

I think Jung's collective unconscious may have more to do with genetic memory, such as is summarized in this article. Deep DNA Memory Theories... Considering the idea is somewhat similar, at least to me. However, I believe the idea of a more "metaphysical" explanation is possible, though not by any means conclusive.

A collective unconscious could explain why many believe in reincarnation, god, and other things. It could also explain "ESP", especially the various Clair-abilities. Clairvoyance, clairaudience, claircognizance, etc.

Noreaster did an excellent and interesting thread along these lines(sort of) you might find worthwhile. www.abovetopsecret.com...

S&F for an interesting take on this topic.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hurdygurdy

Who's talking about enlightenment? For thousands of years, mankind has collectively agreed that war and bloodshed was an acceptable means to an end. We collectively agree to be governed by ruthless leaders who sacrifice young warriors in the prime of their lives and few people question the insanity of it.

Collectively, we could change this mindset.

So, how do we ending up talking about wars now????? My, if we aren't talking about Enlightenment on the message board, what should we be talking about????

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Okay, well it is inevitable to believe everything has already been said and done on this planet. So basically, every idea (energy) we experience in our minds is quite unoriginal, but we are given the opportunity to experience that idea and use our free will (sense of self and individuality) on this plane of existence to our desires.

The ideas, thoughts, experiences, feelings, and sensations are intangible; they take the form of energy in a form of consciousness. The "collective consciousness" is a record database of everything you can fathom. It is proven consciousness exists outside the human brain, and is a mere self-replicating force for beings to dwell in that 3rd dimensional experience of being human. So in a sense, the "collective consciousness" is an interconnected web of energy which each being in this dimensional plane ALL have access to in order to aquire wisdom, knowledge, and higher thoughts with or without prior experience.

Remember, we are not human beings, we are souls having a human experience. Do not limit yourself to mundane philosophy, it only limits your level of consciousness.

I don't limit myself. I am quite capable of imagining great and very mystical explanations of the universe, but I'm actually interested in reality itself and not my own or others imaginings. Although it would be cool to be a soul living a human experience, there is no reason at all to believe that is actually the case.

Your theory is interesting though, but to me, that sort of philosophy is mundane and delusional. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

You couldn't have studied Carl Jung in college because Carl Jung's Analytical Psychology is far from your traditional clinical psychology. To know his works, you have to understand the role and purpose of religions and mythologies in a society. No, he didn't talk about energy. That's just the new age talk. The collective unconscious isn't suppressed because it isn't personal by nature. Is more than just a memory. Is sort of like our DNA of mental blue prints. Is how we develop and grow as a person in relation to our society. This explains why some people can dreams about the historical pasts more than few centuries ago. Or having dreams and visions about certain religious and mythological heroes.

I'm speaking about the unconscious/superconscious mind, and my 300 level analytical psych course did mention Carl Jung in a few chapters about his theories, so give me a break.
edit on 28-10-2012 by sgspecial19 because: typo

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Is it delusional to believe there are extra dimensional beings whom reside on higher dimensional planes of existence? Modern day science knows at least 13 dimensional planes, and each plane has a different frequency/vibration that our senses cannot perceive. Just because YOU cannot see it doesn't mean it's not true or delusional.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

It's safe to agree with Jung in a sense if we regard the collective unconscious as the culture we're born into. Our traditions and other people's baggage shapes us as we grow.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Is it delusional to believe there are extra dimensional beings whom reside on higher dimensional planes of existence? Modern day science knows at least 13 dimensional planes, and each plane has a different frequency/vibration that our senses cannot perceive. Just because YOU cannot see it doesn't mean it's not true or delusional.

Fair enough, but a very predictable answer. It seems we're not so collective after all.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne
reply to post by Klassified

It's safe to agree with Jung in a sense if we regard the collective unconscious as the culture we're born into. Our traditions and other people's baggage shapes us as we grow.

That's precisely the reason why not all experiences have been experienced by humanity because you have to factor in the cross cultural experiences. You have to factor in that you are the first one to work this path because you are carrying the historical and cultural burdens of another cultures and peoples. Your choices and decisions would have real world consequences. This isn't just new age talk here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join