It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK here we go............

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Just a thought...... we could pay reperations..... or let them have 'their' oil to recover from the destruction that we caused.... like Depleted uranium disposal all over their country. OR, just plain corrupt oil companies taking advantage because their unregulated.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
[snip]

"The truth is because the value of the dollar has declined world wide. That's the real truth."

Thats pretty much it When it was below two dollars, things in the grocery were about 70-80% cheaper. I'v really noticed since around 2006 the rise, slow at first, then as of late really taking off with inflation

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
sadly, people's total reliance on fuel means they will pay whatever they are asked to for it. if it went to ten dollars a gallon people wouldn't be happy, but they would pay it. the oil companies and the government have, quite literally, got us over a barrel on this one.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Presidents have nothing to do with the price of oil or gasoline.

Why has it become more expensive even after supposedly securing middle eastern oil? First, because of the costs of securing oil fields on the other side of the planet, and second, because we didn't take the oil for ourselves; we gave it to international oil companies or families in Saudi Arabia or the UAE, who then set the prices at a level that makes them stinking rich.

Why do presidents have nothing to do with gas prices? For one, they're not the people setting the prices and secondly, they can do nothing to change the fact that oil is constantly becoming more difficult to find and extract. Any domestic source of oil for the United States that has not been tapped yet is simply too small or too difficult to extract (like tar sands) to make a difference in our oil addicted economy.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Explanation: Uhmmm?

Explain to me why this is after Bush took the supposed mother load in Iraq.......

Last time OL looked Bush and the other Oil Barrons were not the USA.

Last time OL looked Bush and the other Oil Barrons were bending over the USA and
them up the economy.

Last time OL looked the USA was pretty chafed, broke assed and dry and it is no wonder they are desparate for some oil lubrication since it cuts down on all that social, cultural and civil friction when the isolated suburbs have zero services and one is forced to strive drive to just survive.

Those prescious $$$ leaking out of the USA are laundered processed and refined, just like the oil, in offshore accounts just like what the Fed does with the Red Shield Banks.

Oil gets fractionally distilled and the U$D gets fractionally distorted!

I could start a rant about why the USA and Iran should be on the same side due to the lack of refinaries ... just who is pushing the war over nukes and nuke power?

I could start a rant about how the USA Gov Inc. supported by Oil Barron Lobbyi$t's and Wall $t. hedgefund pensions ... put the kybosh on the USA Navy producing petrol from out of the ocean.

I could start such a rant about the USA et al The West ...

Personal Disclosure: But since I prepare my mind by tuning into the ATS Bushcraft Survival Radio show and I also read and post in the ATS survival forums ... well ranting would be just an emotional waste of my time and energy when I can of course focus on making these unscrupulous corporate barrons, aka pirates, irrelevent to my local reality.

If my fellow members really want to rant then they should buy shares in these companies and get a vote in the annual general meetings.

If you buy it ... invest in it.

On both sides of the trade coin ... Buyer Beware and The Consumer/Customer is always Right on the Money I$$ues.

Money Talks and BS Walks!

edit on 29-10-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to redact unrequired accidental extra personal disclosure heading.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Outstanding, outstanding, outstanding post. This may be the best post you have ever made.

Simply outstanding.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

The "suppression" of refinery building is nearing an end. As well, the oil economy may near its sunset.

That isn't to say that petrodollars will go away.

I know some folks who have lots of influence economically and politically. Not personally, mind you....just enough that I hear their talk. The "next big thing" is in the works right now. They turn natural gas into diesel fuel. A refinery was recently completed in Dubai, and it works. The next one is going to be, likely, in Texas. But the current debate is if it will be in Texas or Louisianna (part of the politics of the financiers).

This will cement US superiority in the energy market as it will, literally overnight, replace gasoline. As well, since the US has some of the largest natural gas reserves on the planet, it will put the US back into energy supremacy, rob the ME of petroleum dollars, and make the US an energy exporter.

It is a sure enough bet that they are already investing tens of billions preparing for it. If you want to see some of the monies being spent, look up "Ports to Plains". It is what will connect West Texas (the focal point of US Natural Gas production in this plan) to Candadian Shale and the Houston ports.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

A common running question in our household lately has been " Why is gas still so high when the price per barrel has dropped so much?" It makes no sense, last time I was in town gas was $4.43 a gallon, last time we got so close to $5 a gallon the price per barrel of crude was closer to $160 a barrel. The prices never dropped to match back up with previous correlations between pump prices and crude prices.

I live near a diesel refinery and the diesel cost over $6 a gallon during the last huge spike. An oil executive came on the local news and stated point blank that they charge it because they can.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Because, despite what the news and politicians tell you, wars are never for the people, they are for corporations. The middle east bull# is not to protect us or "fight them there so they don't fight us here" nonsense. Wars are for the corporations.

Whatever oil was supposedly gained from Iraq wars is not going to benefit the people, it's going to benefit the oil companies. They will keep prices high no matter how much excess oil they have because they can, we have to pay their prices and they know it. Oil companies continue to post record profits while the average person struggles to fill up their gas tank, it's #ing disgusting. This is sadly the dark side of capitalism, greed rules the world, corporations rule the world. When the whole philosophy of business is "maximizing profits", corporations will do all sorts of horrible things that hurt your average person to maximize profits, and then be praised for it when their quarterly statement says they brought in more profit than ever. The 2 party political system is mostly just a show, both parties have long since sold out.
edit on 29-10-2012 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Get rid of the out of date weapons, rebuilding contracts, selling more weapons back to the countries once we have rebuilt them?
edit on 29-10-2012 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Gas is on average $3:15 per gallon.

Run with it......

Explain to me why this is after Bush took the supposed mother load in Iraq.......

We didn't conquer Iraq. Those are the politics of the last century, no one aggressively expands anymore. Or else the UN steps in, with the power of every other nation in the world.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Count yourselves lucky in the uk we are paying $9.78 on average a gallon

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0010110011101
Count yourselves lucky in the uk we are paying $9.78 on average a gallon

Yeah.....but i live within eye shot of 7 new drilling rigs going up, the worlds largest inland oil refinery, and one of the most booming economies because of oil and gas that is on the planet right now.

And I pay MORE for gas than towns that are 50 miles away.

I should add: my county has over 10k windmills, and close to that many pumpjacks pulling out oil. I cannot imagine more of a "ground zero" for energy production.
edit on 29-10-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

The US is expected to overtake Saudi Arabia as the worlds leading oil and gas producer by 2020.

Oil and natural gas production is up under Obama.

Your argument is not valid.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Gas is on average $3:15 per gallon.

Run with it......

High gas prices are part of Obama's energy policy. He flat out said it was.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

We were in Iraq for one and one reason only. Saudi Arabia. A disturbance with oil flow from them at that time would have probably sped the recesion up a few years and made 10 times worse.

The order of the US priorities are:

(1) Europe as a whole,
(2) Saudi Arabia
(3) UK
(4) Japan

Different times makes list change.
Even if Isreal was wiped off planet we may or may not do something, but let that beautiful black syrup not flow from mecca and the # will hit the fan.
edit on 29-10-2012 by sensible thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
From what I've read the President has no power on what the gas prices are. I've also read that being more reliant on our own drilling will not lower the prices either because the amount we are able to drill for is hardly anything.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

Oil is a commodity traded on the world market. No matter how much you produce in America it still goes on said market. If we start producing too much to drop price, OPEC will cut back. The only answer to energy independence is another source, one NOT on world market. NAT gas will help, but ultimately you need something new or change the rules. And being oil is traded in dollars and is the center of the entire world economy, I doubt we are changing any games. Especially when there is good evidance that those that have tried to change the game end up getting occupied (Iraq) or isolated (Iran).

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by Lonewulph

That's considered a low price here compared to many countries.

Yep it's about $5.60 per gallon (£1.40 per litre) in the UK!
edit on 28/10/12 by Insomniac because: clarity

Now unless I have my conversions wrong, I think that:

1 US gallon (not our Imperial UK gallons) is 3.78541litres
To purchase 3.78541litres at GBP £1.40 is 3.78541 x 1.4 = 5.299574
So GBP £5.299574 per US gallon
At the time of writing this according to a Google search of "GBP to USD" I get that GBP £1 is US $1.6039
5.299574 x 1.6039 = 8.4999867386
So, approximately US $8.50 (when finally rounding in favour of the seller rather than consumer) in the UK.

If I remember correctly this massive discrepancy in price is because our (UK) fuel is taxed to include road maintenance, but in the USA it taxed separately? I may have that completely wrong but I rely entirely upon walking and public transport and as a result of this, don't have a clue

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yeeaaaa you got it right. As Don Rickles would say you.................you get a cookie, but in your case well make it a carrot.

edit on 29-10-2012 by Tarzan the apeman. because: forgot a word in the statment

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join