It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sighting of something unusual in the night sky last night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Feel free to move if it's content would fit a more appropriate forum.

I was out for a smoke yesterday evening around 8:15 PM PST(Nor Cal), and happened to see something I can honestly say i've never seen before. Looking up into the eastern sky, I saw what looked to be a very bright, large star-like object traveling at speeds I've never seen anything travel in the sky.

It was bright orange, high enough to take on a "star" like appearance only notably larger and of course closer. It looked to be traveling in a southeasterly direction. It's speed was phenomenal. It was in view for about 8-10 seconds before dimming abruptly and disappearing. I couldn't make any estimations of how fast or how far it traveled, but it's fair to say that for being that high up, it was really moving.

I don't know if it was a meteor or UFO, but it was something i've not seen in the night sky before, and thought i'd share. I told a coworker about it today and he claims he saw something very similar a few nights ago. Thanks for reading.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

I saw the same type of thing about a week ago when i was walking the
dogs.

It looked like a bright star slowly moving west to east and after five mins it just turned
off which made think what the ....

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

sounds like the timespan you are talking about it could be a satterrlite, just my guess please excuse the spelling
cheers

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests
e yesterday evening around 8:15 PM PST(Nor Cal),
Looking up into the eastern sky,
be traveling in a southeasterly direction.

Lots of people will say "The ISS", so I checked.
It was in view in the east, and at a point in the orbit where it would have been travelling southeast and visible for a short time before moving into the earths shadow and vanishing.

But this occurred at about 7:32 PM PST (if I converted to UTC correctly), so unless your clock is very wrong its probably not it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests
It was in view for about 8-10 seconds

Got another idea - an Iridium flare.
Check out heavens-above, put your location in and see what Iridium flares were visible at that time.

I'd do it myself for you, but the visibility is very very location specific, down to the nearest mile or so.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by etrex66

It was *absolutely* not a satellite, it was moving far, far beyond any satellite i've seen by a huge margin, and it's luminosity was vastly greater.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I don't thInk most people would describe a satellite or the ISS as moving with incredible speed. I mean sure they are but that's not really the impression you get when seeing them in the sky. 8-10 seconds is a long time for a meteor but not impossible. One could also specualte that the object was actually much closer and slower than percieved like a Chinese lantern.

I would ask myself why did this object make me think it was not a meteor, what was different?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

A light object against a dark background you have nothing to scale it by you don't know it's size or distance so you cant possibly work out a speed!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
drone

or

UFO

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

I would ask myself why did this object make me think it was not a meteor, what was different?

some people are more intuitive than others but don't realize it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

Granted but it's a fair question and the little details interest
me

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It certainly behaved like the ISS, which is extremely bright, the approximate direction of travel is okay, that it faded out is what the ISS does when entering the Earth's shadow because it orbits is very low. I can't pinpoint the times for NC from here though.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
I don't thInk most people would describe a satellite or the ISS as moving with incredible speed. I mean sure they are but that's not really the impression you get when seeing them in the sky. 8-10 seconds is a long time for a meteor but not impossible. One could also specualte that the object was actually much closer and slower than percieved like a Chinese lantern.

8-10 seconds is well within the limits for a meteor. Most meteors don't last as long as that, but there are many examples of meteors that last significantly longer.

The OP's description sounds like it was too fast for a satellite, so I'd agree with your question - why could it not have been a meteor?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by skuly
I saw the same type of thing about a week ago when i was walking the
dogs.

It looked like a bright star slowly moving west to east and after five mins it just turned
off which made think what the ....

Unlikely to be the same thing since 1/you described it as "slow" where as the OP described it as very fast and 2/you said it lasted a few minutes, whereas the OP said it lasted a few seconds.

What you described is consistent with the ISS (or another satellite) disappearing into Earth's shadow as someone else mentioned in this thread. Most satellites including the ISS move west to east.

join