My Husband the Genius

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+20 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Okay, ATS.

It's almost Halloween, and my son wants to be a magician. So I decide to buy a pattern and make him a cape. Simple enough, right?

Except I can't sew. I'm trying to learn, and the only teacher I have is simply trial and error. Mostly, error. I mean, it took me two freakin' months just to figure out how to thread the sewing machine.

Now, this pattern I purchased was a Simplicity pattern. Lies, lies, lies! You need an engineering degree just to be able to read the pattern, much less actually construct something from it. I must have studied that pattern for hours...then decided to bite the bullet and start cutting.

The pattern called for black felt, but that wasn't enough for me. No, I wanted it in a heavier fabric with a red lining. So I sewed a red fabric to the black fabric....and realized I'd stitched the head hole shut.

So my husband comes into the room whilst I'm cutting open the head hole and swearing like a sailor. He asks how I'm doing and I tell him what idiotic mistake I just made. Which is when he bursts out laughing and tells me that capes don't have head holes.

Oh, dear Lord in Heaven.

So now I've spent about ten hours on this stupid cape, probably thirty bucks in fabric, and I decided ten minutes ago to just give up and buy the el cheapo cape at the Halloween store. So I call my husband into the room to tell him will have to buy a cape.

At which point he let me know he'd already bought one a week ago...just in case.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

By the title I thought it was a rant against a "Not so genius" husband.

He could have just let you finish...would have been funnier.

Peace

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

A head hole

At least we know your not count dracula coz he knows all about capes

My daughter is making a cape for her 3 year old son, and like you she didnt know how to stitch with a needle, so she has at least learnt something form it.

Am I correct in thinking your a teacher? if so, dont they teach this stuff at school anymore?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

lolololololol Thanks for the laugh, I cracked up.

Listen to your husband, he can see into the future.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Take one of your husband's black suit coats. Cut off both arms at the shoulders, Sew arm holes shut...viola...cape for Son...

Des

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Sounds like he knows you well!

At least you got to "practice" a little

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Take one of your husband's black suit coats. Cut off both arms at the shoulders, Sew arm holes shut...viola...cape for Son...

Des

Every cape sales person in the country has just put a price on your head

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I am SO SORRY!! BUT.............
I laughed so hard reading your thread.......I needed the laugh you see, my dad is currently in the hospital. In no way am I actually laughing at you.....I read your earlier thread about needing help with it and actually felt inspired and bad for you....I have wanted to learn how to sew myself, dont give up! Fight the good fight!
((hugs))

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
A tip for the future...

2 sided tape and velcro strips...No sewing!

Peace

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

You can sign up for sewing classes at most fabric shops. If there isn't one near you try asking around- you might already know someone who can teach you the basics.

My kids hated it but I made them learn to sew, quilt, embroider, crochet and knit when they were growing up. Now that my oldest is a mother herself she has had these skills come in handy on several occasions.

Good luck in your sewing adventures! As for the hubby- well, you can't live with them, you can't bury them in the backyard!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

A head hole

At least we know your not count dracula coz he knows all about capes

My daughter is making a cape for her 3 year old son, and like you she didnt know how to stitch with a needle, so she has at least learnt something form it.

Am I correct in thinking your a teacher? if so, dont they teach this stuff at school anymore?

I was a band geek, so had to miss the home ec courses.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
I am SO SORRY!! BUT.............
I laughed so hard reading your thread.......I needed the laugh you see, my dad is currently in the hospital. In no way am I actually laughing at you.....I read your earlier thread about needing help with it and actually felt inspired and bad for you....I have wanted to learn how to sew myself, dont give up! Fight the good fight!
((hugs))

I'm glad you got a laugh...I'm laughing too!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
sorry to laugh at your failed attempt smylee, but that story was pretty funny!
you tell it well!
don't beat yourself up too much,and keep forging on!

sewing is a very valuable skill!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Just go on youtube and search for making a cape.
Plenty of people have posted. Pinterist is another good place for ideas.

I made 20+ capes for a kids party one time. Alot of work but it was cool.
You have the pattern. I'd look for tutorials online on how to use a pattern.
Once you get the hang of it it's not that hard to do.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
ahaha

we like to tease our women

because we love you !

so funny LOL
thanks for sharing that moment with us smileygirl

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Don't feel bad. My wife is a good seamstress, and she still gets a bit verbal at times when working with a pattern.

S&F for making me smile this evening. I'd miss you if you weren't a member here.

You can log out any time you like, but you can never leave.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
With all do respect, that does make your husband a genius. Though your heart was in the right place, you sewed the "head hole" closed...just to find out a cape has no such thing...I won't say anymore, but the whole thing is funny as hell!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Aw your husband sounds sweet. You're lucky really, a lot of time genius's are Aholes

Felt isn;t all it's cracked up to be. Probably good for a cape, but my aunt made my daughter a pink power ranger costume out of it. It's awesome, but the felt got fuzzy in one 2 hour wear, and the bottoms got dirty. Can I wash it? Prob have to hand wash...ugh.

Either way, I applaud your effort good Moma!!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the laugh. I needed that! Um...a hint for next year and saving money, go to a second hand store!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I wonder, you're not my wife posting on here, are you?

Seriously, the problem is that wives over-estimate their ability to do new things, while they under-estimate the time needed.

If you haven't started by Sept. 1, just go ahead and rent something this year.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join