It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane #Sandy - Live coverage by ATS members

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

nice, will give me something to focus on. Thanks for that.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by facedye
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

you're coming a little too close to implying that i'm making things up. do you live here? do you personally know people in the brighton beach area? because i do, and this is exactly what they had told me to look out for. this is a live sandy thread right? where people post information that others in the afflicted areas can find useful. that's exactly what i was doing, to try and keep others in the brooklyn area aware. seriously, what was the point of that post? you think i'm going to be fear mongering for no reason when i live right here and have been giving live updates all night long?

reevaluate your analysis. you're picking the wrong line of conversation.

I totally agree

Low lifes will look for any excuse to enrich themselves at others expense.

The sheer volume of stuff laying around now is big.

Are there stand your ground laws in NY and NJ?
edit on 30-10-2012 by morethanyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by frozenP
Hi guys, hope people are safe and sound

I'm supposed to fly into JFK on Thursday for a long weekend, staying in a hotel in Manhattan. I haven't heard anything from my travel agent as yet if flight cancelled or hotel not functional.....i will call them tomorrow...now I've read and listened and seen all the horrible pics on the news channels (i'm in Europe) and my question to u guys out there is: should I risk it or not??

I cant answer the other part of your question, but I do know 15000+ overseas flights( outgoing and incoming) have been cancelled.. indefinitely. They're still assessing things.

Thanks for the reply.

Heard that JFK is closed until tomorrow morning US time and might be extended....probs best to cancel me thinks

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenP

As Advantage stated thousands of flights have been canceled, I read one man was told he would not get a flight into New York until next week because of waiting lists. Best thing to do is call the airline. And if your flight is gonna happen, check with the hotel.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

kapao, no worries! glad to know that any of what i said might help - the moment i heard it being mentioned by someone i have personally known for a very long time, i knew that it was at least meant to be relayed to others and taken seriously. since then i'm having random people confirm the same things for me - people were actually doing this last night, along with jacking cars.

i found it funny that he linked me to NY1... i mean.. i live here lol everything that website is reporting i have found out from my friends and social network hours before they were even reporting it. the silliness in people's thought processes sometimes...

in terms of updates, from what i know brooklyn is recovering smoothly aside from the sheepshead bay/brighton area. they took a LOT of serious damage and flooding. there's still a considerable amount of water there as we speak. some are going around their neighborhoods on rafts asking people if they need help. oh, and the power outages have in no way been relieved. from what i understand we're still struggling to get the power back on to those that have lost it here in brooklyn last night. this is in part due to the fact that the flooding has not receded yet.

manhattan's got it pretty bad though. the subway system is definitely going to be out of service for the next 48 hours, and i think that's putting it lightly. the damage our MTA has sustained last night is catastrophic. i've never seen anything like it. =/

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Some of the affects we're seeing here in Chicago from Sandy.... Lake Michigan & Belmont Harbor Chicago

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by facedye

yeah, from what I gather, it is totally destroyed. They will take WEEKS to fix it all. All subway lines affected, all systems need repair and have to run a very long check list. The whole subway system was badly outdated and run down as it is.

I worked near one of their yards and had their maintenance guys as customers some years ago. What they told me was they did more repair to parts than actual maintenance. They couldn't just replace all the old stuff since it is hard to get. They have been dipping into their reserve parts for some years. Being NY they had quite a few of them, but still.

The way I heard it from a cop buddy of mine, the subway is out of the question in most areas for the next couple weeks.

most of Queens and other semi above ground lines might be ok. Manhattan, is a sewage fest down there, and they have all sorts of catastrophic failures in their equipment.

They can't even start to fix it until the water recedes and power is restored.

big trouble if the next few days don't pan out.

edit on 30-10-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

Who is she giving the finger too?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thank you so much hun!

I kept power, lost everything else. Phones, internet, cable is on but no information. I have internet back and that is it.
I have been in an information bubble and at the mercy of the crappy reporting on CNN.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I had to make a comment here.. just as an aside to the whole disaster.
The FDNY are superheroes. I was listening last night to the scanner while cleaning my kitchen and Im telling you, these guys would face and beat satan down if it meant the live of just ONE person lived. You should have heard them fighting the fires last night and were pulled back due to flooding.. in the end it was determined 100+ homes burnt rather than the 50 first reported. One firefighter died several injured.. last Ive heard anyway...and they were still gnashing teeth trying to save people they thought may have been in those buildings. If anything, 9/11 made these guys more hardcore rather than the intended purpose of terror ( if it be terrorists or our own govt). Even over a crappy internet scanner.. you could tell these guys were hungry to go face possible death to save just one. You could hear it in their voices.. goosebump time.
Heroes Im telling you. New Yorkers are made of hardcore stuff and are badasses of the first order. If anyone can pull up from this.. its New York and the surrounding areas. My hometown is still laying in ruins. My other family members moved.. and none of us are left there now. Its been HOW long and its still a waste in New Orleans? New Yorkers will pull through IMO.

Now they are going basically house to house in one area.. found a family in an apartment building sick from carbon monoxide.. running a genny indoors.. and fuel spilled on the floor. It may seem like a small thing.. and some moron will invoke the Darwin awards.. but these Firemen/women CARE. Theyre more human than human. They saved a family and possibly other families in this apartment building from sure disaster.

IMO we should all take a page from this book if, heaven forbid, we are ( wherever you are) faced with disaster of any order and our fellow Americans may need assistance.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yay! Well, kinda yay. Glad you are ok, sorry about the info bubble and crappy CNN.

Thanks for checking in. I really was concerned.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

You made my day, bless your heart!

I have some squishy floor tiles and a flooded closet. But considering how bad this apartment used to flood, I will take it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Ugie! answer the phone pullllllllllease! or txt me back! SOMETHING!
im worried and so are others! find another hotspot!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I was with a guy for a bit this morning who is a volunteer for our local fire company. His radio was going off and he said it was going off constantly all night. Many of the calls were carbon monoxide alarms.

PLEASE REMEMBER - anyone using generators or propane heaters - use your generator OUTSIDE like the directions say, and follow the directions on your propane or kerosene heaters to properly vent.

It's getting very cold here and still raining, so anyone who does not have power needs to be careful with generators and heat sources - PLEASE. We don't need any more loss of life from this storm.

I also found out there was one 62 year old man not far from here who was killed when a tree fell on his home last night.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Was a long day, and had no access to TV, radio. internet. But not because of the storm but personal reasons/work.
I get home and turn on the TV, and get online to check out what the damage was from last night.

Seems to have hit some places pretty hard. 30 some people dead, and massive flooding and great wind damage. Up to 1+ million people without power. Said it could take up to one week for them to restore power.

I had a feeling this storm was going to hit hard in some places. Its still damn windy here in FL today.

My heart goes out to anyone who was affected by this, and I hope you took heed and was prepared for this.
Going to update myself a little more here, As from what I heard on Weather Channel there are people out there right now who need help.
Let me guess though? Are more people worried about pointing the finger at whos fault this will be.. I hope not. I hope we can get out there and help those who need the help.
This is going to be a BIG clean up, and may take up to 8 months to recover. years to fully recover.

On the bright side.. This will make a whole bunch of jobs for folks who may be looking for work. Plenty of work to be done now..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by morethanyou

morethanyou, it's hard to say whether there are or aren't stand your ground laws here - they're clearly not set in stone in either way.

new york city is particularly weird on violence during disasters. the police keep a no-funny-business mentality, and it goes a long way in keeping a calm vibe throughout the burroughs. they're really doing their jobs out there, and really are heroes along with the fire department. however, find yourself in a shady, no-power block with shady characters just looking for an opportunity, there's a chance you won't be heard from again. in this situation, i would presume that there wouldn't be a cop presence around that is significant enough to see any kind of interaction like that.

for example, with the burglaries and car jackings being reported in brighton/luna park, the respective police department around that area (60th precinct) had to be evacuated. i would say that for some , it seems like they're treating it as an open opportunity.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Ohwww, That was so so swweet an answer.

Some children really are the light. Hope he slept warm and cozy and has gained inner strength thru this experience.

Thanks for that.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

So good to know you are ok. It was great sharing this experience with you. I do not think I missed a single post.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

She wasn't giving the finger, that is just her hand holding the cellphone taking the pic.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Power just came back a little while ago of here. Still rainy, but it looks like that's about it. Many, many people around here still have no power and won't for a while. We are lucky. Minimal damage to our property, but closer to the Hudson was underwater. Parks, riverfront, train station, etc.

Stuff started to open up again around noon.

Pretty tired. Spent most of the night watching the storm and listening to the radio. Sad to see how much some other areas were damaged. Hope for a quick recovery.

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join