It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bolivia says "adios!" to Coca-Cola!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
...to Mc Donald's too.

And they also are officializing their rejection of US capitalist hegemony... for the End of the Mayan Calendar!

In a symbolic rejection of US capitalism, Bolivia announced it will expel the Coca-Cola Company from the country at the end of the Mayan calendar. This will mark the end of capitalism and usher in a new era of equality, the Bolivian govt says. “December 21 of 2012 will be the end of egoism and division. December 21 should be the end of Coca-Cola,” Bolivian foreign minister David Choquehuanca decreed, with bombast worthy of a viral marketing campaign. The coming ‘end’ of the Mayan lunar calendar on December 21 of this year has sparked widespread doomsaying of an impending apocalypse. But Choquehuanca argued differently, claiming it will be the end of days for capitalism, not the planet. “The planets will align for the first time in 26,000 years and this is the end of capitalism and the beginning of communitarianism,” said Choquehuanca as quoted by Venezuelan newspaper El Periodiquito. The minister encouraged the people of Bolivia to drink Mocochinche, a peach-flavored soft drink, as an alternative to Coca-Cola. Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez followed suit, encouraging his country to ditch the American beverage for fruit juice produced in Venezuela. ­

McFailure

Last year, Bolivia became the second Latin American country not to have a single McDonald’s. The fast food giant finally gave up on Bolivia after being unable to turn a profit in the country for over a decade.

Following this failure, the monolithic multinational released a documentary titled ‘Why McDonald’s failed in Bolivia.’ Referencing surveys, sociologists, nutritionists and historians, the company came to the conclusion it was not their food that was the issue, but a culturally driven boycott.

Bolivian President Evo Morales has a reputation for controversial policies similar to the Coca-Cola ban. Morales pledged last month to legalize the consumption of coca leaves, one of the main ingredients of coc aine.

“Neither the US nor capitalist countries have a good reason to maintain the ban on coca leaf consumption,” said Morales.

The coca leaf was declared an illegal narcotic by the UN in 1961, along with coc aine, opium and morphine. The consumption of coca leaves is a centuries-old tradition in Bolivia, strongly rooted in the beliefs of various indigenous groups.

Source

Now this is some fun yet strange news coming from an evolving Latin America. Applying 2012 predictions to State politics?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I thought 2012 was more about the change of times or something to that effect.

And apocalypse means something like "uncovering"

soooo...expelling Coca cola seems more symbolic of trying to enlighten the nation by removing it's toxic effects

or something

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I doubt that Bolivia is a big part in the coca-cola market share. They dont care.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I can live without McDonald's, but please don't take my coke away.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
I doubt that Bolivia is a big part in the coca-cola market share. They dont care.

What? Along with Peru and Colombia, it's one of the biggest producers of Coca leaves... that Coca-Cola is still based on.

Yep... that's why Coke was so addictive and tasty. Coz basically it's... Coke!

But at the natural state Coca leaves are actually good and non-toxic. I know that people in the mountains chew these as medication against the altitude sickness.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
So they are keeping the coke but kicking out the cola?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I avoid soft drinks like the plague so I congratulate Bolivia for ridding itself of Coca Cola.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Putyournamehere
I can live without McDonald's, but please don't take my coke away.

Obama and Bush also said that, once.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

What? Along with Peru and Colombia, it's one of the biggest producers of Coca leaves... that Coca-Cola is still based on.

But at the natural state Coca leaves are actually good and non-toxic. I know that people in the mountains chew these as medication against the altitude sickness.

The reason behind its addictiveness is the high fructose corn syrup that they put in sugary beverages. They have the nerve to call that poison "sugar," lol. In any case, most sugars are more addictive than heroin, which surprises most people. Try removing sugar from your diet, you'll see what I mean.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I have seen documentaries where these indigenous peoples have their jaws (both jaws) packed
so full of coca leafs they look like squirrels saving up for winter, lol. They make old-time
Texas cowboys with wads of tobacco look like wussies

And it's true that originally Coca-Cola contained coc aine......ahhhh, the good old days

Maybe that's why they kicked out McDonalds....they weren't hungry
edit on 28-10-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
As it turned out this was just one guy talking and the Bolivian Gov quickly came out and said Coke was not leaving and it did not.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

Hm... find a bolivian nuclear program and GET THOSE LEAVES BACK!

Seriously tho... peru yes, but bolivia was only to a much lesser degree.. on leaves, not on coke. The us still relies on Bolivia for its healthy supply of coke, but THATS CIA BUSINESS NOT YOURS!

Meddling people... >.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Coca-Cola refuses to confirm whether or not their secret formula includes coca extract. The soft-drink's ban in Bolivia comes at a time when the country is pledging to legalize the consumption of coca leaves, which are notoriously processed clandestinely into coc aine. The coca leaves were declared an illegal narcotic by the UN in 1961, along with coc aine, opium and morphine, in spite of its consumption being a centuries-old tradition there and strongly rooted in the beliefs of various indigenous groups. The sales of coca leaf are big business in Bolivia, accounting for 2% of the country’s GDP, or approximately $270 million annually, and representing 14% of all agricultural sales. The coca is legally sold in wholesale markets in some Bolivian cities including a coc aine bar in La Paz. www.forbes.com... Bolivia's Foreign Minister David Choquehuanca

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Bolivia is fickle. Every couple of years they change their entire government. I don't mean just the politicians .. I mean their entire government. And right now they have an anti-American government. They go back and forth. Wait a few years and McDonalds will be back ... it's just how Bolivia operates.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Coca-Cola is heavily promoted and has undergone so many changes that it is not as good as it once was.

This is far better, Guarana soda and it is good for your health !!!
Link
Link 2

Try it

edit on 1-11-2012 by tintin2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Leave it to liberals to believe the 2012-delusion of the Mayan child-sacrificers and get rid of their economic motors and biggest employers as well. Just another left-wing country that has become an impoverished dump.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Really guys? I dunno, I applaud the move... although there would be other companies at the top of my to-ban list. More power to them.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Bolivia is fickle. Every couple of years they change their entire government. I don't mean just the politicians .. I mean their entire government. And right now they have an anti-American government. They go back and forth. Wait a few years and McDonalds will be back ... it's just how Bolivia operates.

This guy, right here, is very right.

I live in this Bolivian #hole. That's how we work. Kick Morales out of the government (damn, I don't know of any recent presidents that left the precidency with no problems, but that's another story for another thread), and Bolivia will suddenly get rid of these so-called "socialitic ideas". People here are that stupid - they say they are something when they have no idea of what that something is.

As for kicking Coca-Cola out, that's not going to happen. Ever. We love that # and we pay for it in a routine day.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm not seeing much of a connection between instability in Bolivia and the NWO. It's something to watch though. The NWO may have a plan for the coca leaves!

top topics

join