It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandy and nuclear power plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So I have a question that I just don't see addressed here or on the news. What about the nuclear power plants on the east coast? Do you think that they can be damaged by this storm? I know that the Shippingport power plant that I live by was just recently found with cracks in it and I'm pretty sure that others are in bad condition due to the age of them. I am not worried about the effects on the Shippingport one but what about the ones on the coast. Do you think they can withstand this storm if it gets as bad as predicted.

www.nrc.gov...

If this has been posted before I apologize. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by shadwgirl

That's a good question. Hopefully Phage will come along and put our minds at ease while making us feel a little stupid.

S&F

Rev

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadwgirl
So I have a question that I just don't see addressed here or on the news. What about the nuclear power plants on the east coast? Do you think that they can be damaged by this storm? I know that the Shippingport power plant that I live by was just recently found with cracks in it and I'm pretty sure that others are in bad condition due to the age of them. I am not worried about the effects on the Shippingport one but what about the ones on the coast. Do you think they can withstand this storm if it gets as bad as predicted.

www.nrc.gov...

If this has been posted before I apologize. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I've been thinking the same.. there are 20+ nuclear power plants right on the coast. If power goes out, which is likely will, they will be relying on their backup power.. which isn't very encouraging considering the condition of these plants and the amount of waste most of them are storing on site. Could be a real problem.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm not sure about it myself but i live in the "Action" area near Syracuse NY. and within ten miles from a few reactor cores. i would like to know more about how the area is setup for a storm that's rare to the area.
Can the reactors handle it in a zone that is not accustom to storms and rains in such a short period?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Considering that this is not a catagory 3 or better hurricane I don't see any problems other than flooding. Not like the plants will be rattled to the ground by an earthquake. Lots of the plants have been through hurricanes before. In case you haven't noticed alot of the plants around and in certain areas have been quietly and slowly taken off line and shut down for various repairs or under the guise of repairs. Quite a few more than a few are in cold shut down right now. I suspect its because of the Louisianna issue's and pending East Coast Issue's that might come to pass. There are some serious issue's coming to a head on the East Coast. I would not want to be living in those area's period. The Earth and Mother Nature have alot in store for this planets inhabitants coming soon. This is no conspiracy. The earth has cleansed itself several times in the past. Just because were here now makes no difference to any of it. Its a cycle that cannot be changed or caused. It happens because it can.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreshAirGirl
Considering that this is not a catagory 3 or better hurricane I don't see any problems other than flooding. Not like the plants will be rattled to the ground by an earthquake. Lots of the plants have been through hurricanes before. In case you haven't noticed alot of the plants around and in certain areas have been quietly and slowly taken off line and shut down for various repairs or under the guise of repairs. Quite a few more than a few are in cold shut down right now. I suspect its because of the Louisianna issue's and pending East Coast Issue's that might come to pass. There are some serious issue's coming to a head on the East Coast. I would not want to be living in those area's period. The Earth and Mother Nature have alot in store for this planets inhabitants coming soon. This is no conspiracy. The earth has cleansed itself several times in the past. Just because were here now makes no difference to any of it. Its a cycle that cannot be changed or caused. It happens because it can.

thanks for your response. I realize that this isn't a powerful hurricane but there are a few things that does make it special. I am more worried about what happens if it merges with these other storm fronts and I feel that this is is an issue that needs to be addressed. I really don't see any kind of conspiracy with this subject matter. It's just a curiosity to me. I didn't know that some of these reactors are in shut down mode and when I googled the subject nothing came up. Honestly, I am hoping that the media is just hyping up this storm as it does most storms, but what if it isn't. Still, I do believe this is a valid question.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
enenews.com...

This site might keep up with the topic you raised.
They have done a pretty good job with the Fukishima disaster.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Thank you. This site you posted led to another that has a list of the specific plants in the path of this storm

nuclear-news.net...

The article accompanying it is a little doom and gloomy but is a thought provoking one nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

This Reuters article attempts to address many of the questions you raise.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Glad it helps.
That's what is so great about ATS. So many different sources we'd never know about on our own.

And when disaster strikes...ATS is usually the best place for breaking news articles.

(I know that sounds like a corny endorsement, but it also happens to be true!)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Thank you for your article, it was very helpful. My concern is the age and degrading state of these reactors. Also, I do realize that we can't plan for every contingency which is why I brought this subject up. What I would like to know is if the states are preparing for possible destruction of these plants, maybe if they are passing out potassium pills or if the employees at these plants will be able to react quickly enough if something happens. (not that I am expecting anything to happen but I do love what if scenarios.) Also, the states are evacuating some of these areas but they are not evacuating the employees from these plants so I am naturally concerned about those that are left behind.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
First media were saying Sandy's TARGETTING nyc... now she/he/it's targetting our NUKES?

Looks very...

GRIMM!

new topics

top topics

join