It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Webcam is watching you

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Here, here,, and here.

Also, how to tell if your cam has been hijacked.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

They say they are collecting all this data for advertising...so that they can recommend "just the right products" to us (who wants those stereotypical recommendations anyway...I dont). But anywhere large amounts of profiles and data is collected about a person its more a gestapo/stasi/CIA type thing to me.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Also, and even more hilarious to me is how many "it," would have to hire to monitor millions of us!

It wouldnt have to hire anyone. "It" would only have to be one super-computer detecting patterns of behavior deviant to the totalitarian status quo. Im thinking Orwell 1984 here.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

edit on 28-10-2012 by PurpleChiten because: will save "silly" for later

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
i dont have a gps in the car
i dont have a webcam
i dont have a fakebook account
i dont have an amazon account
i dont have an i-phone
i have a broadband account and thats it
i reckon im in a very small minority

sorry buddy, you're not alone....i'm there with you...also if you have a WII (wee) game console, you are open to being observed, and security cams around your property that might be tapped by wireless or wired hacks.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Why do you have an I-phone?

I find that odd given the nature of the thread. In other words you don't have a right to complain about any of this, do you? You perpetuate the love of these gadgets............

Yes. If "it" happens, one could say my enslavement was voluntary. But if things keep going as they are, I`ll rid myself of it, get off the grid.,,,unless by then its already too late.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Also, and even more hilarious to me is how many "it," would have to hire to monitor millions of us!

It wouldnt have to hire anyone. "It" would only have to be one super-computer detecting patterns of behavior deviant to the totalitarian status quo. Im thinking Orwell 1984 here.

Sounds like the tv show "Person of Interest"

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Here, here,, and here.

Also, how to tell if your cam has been hijacked.

~Heff

Goodness...I thought I was speculating about some future time. This is already status quo.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

reply to post by Hefficide

They say they are collecting all this data for advertising...so that they can recommend "just the right products" to us (who wants those stereotypical recommendations anyway...I dont). But anywhere large amounts of profiles and data is collected about a person its more a gestapo/stasi/CIA type thing to me.

Hold on a second there...is it true that the ads we see on ATS are driven by what we post?

Seems to me your phone does the exact same thing the site you volunteer for does....Just 'sayin!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

That refers back to my previous post. The more mundane information they have about us - the more the potential for profiling rises. We are at an unprecedented point in history where "thought crime" is a reality.

Imagine finding yourself in a holding cell somewhere - and an agent comes in and says "Your daily e-behaviors fit the pattern of a....."

We're being conditioned, currently, to end that sentence with "terrorist" and to accept it. But the more data they get and can analyze... the more labels they'll add into the mix. Advertising is only part of the game. And even that ( advertising ) is based totally upon psychological manipulation.... so the two things together are even more scary...

Imagine a world where known drug users ( even those trying to straighten up ) get Google hits tailored to their inclinations. People in Alcoholics Anonymous getting liquor ads... One could suppose that "interested parties" could literally use a persons known behaviors as a means of pushing them into a compromised legal situation.

~Heff

edit on 10/28/12 by Hefficide because: Sneezed and double posted ~Heff... Great now my cold has made me an egomaniac

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Hold on a second there...is it true that the ads we see on ATS are driven by what we post?

Seems to me your phone does the exact same thing the site you volunteer for does....Just 'sayin!

When I write an email with certain keywords, google puts up ads to match the email I am writing. Thats spooky. Its like "How do they know what I am writing?". Well...some software knows.

The problem is that collecting all this data about everyone can be used for more than advertising.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Imagine a world where known drug users ( even those trying to straighten up ) get Google hits tailored to their inclinations. People in Alcoholics Anonymous getting liquor ads... One could suppose that "interested parties" could literally use a persons known behaviors as a means of pushing them into a compromised legal situation.

Thats the direction we are headed. Information-selling. "Hey I can sell you data on 10 000 people who are looking for drugs on Google. Interested? I will sell for 10 000 Dollars".

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'm thinking David Bowie!

Not too dismiss the book. It was required reading for me when I was in middle school.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

~Heff

~Heff

I think you might be on to something here. Suffice it to say my partner had some issues in the past, and whenever he opens his e-mail account there are ads pointing to his "trouble." I do believe this happens already, and often times I wonder if it is law enforcement putting those ads there to catch him should he accidentally click one open!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It is like television.

They create a system whereby they are able to disseminate propaganda and confuse the masses. Then they make it to where you not only want this propganda, but you are willing to actually PAY them to acquire it.

The same with surveillance. They create a system to watch you, then convince you that you want it and make you actually PAY them for it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

That refers back to my previous post. The more mundane information they have about us - the more the potential for profiling rises. We are at an unprecedented point in history where "thought crime" is a reality.

Imagine finding yourself in a holding cell somewhere - and an agent comes in and says "Your daily e-behaviors fit the pattern of a....."

We're being conditioned, currently, to end that sentence with "terrorist" and to accept it. But the more data they get and can analyze... the more labels they'll add into the mix. Advertising is only part of the game. And even that ( advertising ) is based totally upon psychological manipulation.... so the two things together are even more scary...

~Heff

~Heff

If i didn't know better, I would think you just described the FBI and their recent tendency to concoct terror plots to lure innocent morons into.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
lol I once found a website where you could watch the hacked webcams of unsuspecting people in real time. It was mostly boring stuff, usually people watching TV or sleeping. I should try to find that again anyways.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I also cover up my web cam, with a piece of duct tape. I always forget about it when I take my laptop to school, and I generally get some weird looks and questions. Obviously most people will dismiss it, or call you paranoid and the like. Don't even get me started on trying to discuss with people about how your cellphone can be turned on, listened to, etc. Although we generally have a tendency to state what is happening is Orwellian, I actually think that Huxley's version is a far better analysis; due to him believing that what we love will be what controls us, contrary to Orwell thinking it would be what we absolutely hated.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
lol I once found a website where you could watch the hacked webcams of unsuspecting people in real time. It was mostly boring stuff, usually people watching TV or sleeping. I should try to find that again anyways.

Yikes...I guess this really can be done....CNN report on it from 2010:

And....

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
"It" doesn't matter because the majority don't care what "it" is...

We ATS'ers probably all have tape covering our webcams.
Primarily because we know who "it" is and what "it" has in store for us.
So we are cautious, patient and alert.
Always waiting for "its" next move.

But if you are unaware of the nefarious plans behind all the mass marketing...
Behind all the medias lies....
Corrupted politicians...
Blatant abuse of powers...

...that makes you one of "them".
Which means you trust everything "it" has to offer.
And find nothing wrong with "it".
Whereas I do.

Great thread.

Great post to a great thread. Star for you my friend!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join