It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Webcam is watching you

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Thoughts?

Ever since I read about the highschool student getting into trouble for things he was doing at his private home from his principle spying on the school laptops that they gave out, I have black taped my webcam and also my PS3 eye move until a time when I need to use them. I advise all to do the same.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
i dont have a gps in the car
i dont have a webcam
i dont have a fakebook account
i dont have an amazon account
i dont have an i-phone
i have a broadband account and thats it
i reckon im in a very small minority

You have an ATS account though.

Which means you had to give a working e-mail address. Which could be used to track you. Just saying, it's hard to get away from.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I have a sticker over my cam. It is one of my kids stickers that says "Oh Wow"
Just in case... ya never know
I've been thinking of putting something else over top too...thinking the sticker isn't enough

& yes i too think anyone watching would be extremely bored , lol

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
They cannot do that. They would be found out by people that know what they're doing, which would destroy their reputations. They have to reason to do it anyway.
edit on 28-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

what would be done about it ? they are in direct violation of human rights and international laws on a daily basis , but no one is bothered because the television is on , or they`re busy playing games , or they`re working themselves into an early grave for the sake of what others think about them. Conditioned to be dependant upon the endless supply of gadgets and shiney things without thinking about where the resources are coming from.

Trying to explain to people today - you get told to shut up , you dont know what you`re talking about - you`re crazy ..... they dont believe it unless the TV says it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JeZeus

Meh, as far as that goes, there could be webcams embedded in our new flat screen tvs....

not saying there are, but it's possible...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Well i guess its a good thing i don't have one of those new flat screens yet. lol

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JeZeus

They cannot do that. They would be found out by people that know what they're doing, which would destroy their reputations. They have to reason to do it anyway.
they are in direct violation of human rights and international laws on a daily basis

No they aren't...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well, its kind of a relief that some of you appear to be peripherally or even intimately aware of the possiblities.

Any dictatorship who gets their control-freak hands on the internet has all the information he will ever need on anyone.

My i-phone alone is a device that records my location at all times, records the books I download, records my email correspondences, records my contacts, navigates me with GPS. We can see where all this is going. All this is going EXACTLY where Orwell and other literary paranoids said it would.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie
To be perfectly honest...I always have a piece of electrical tape covering the webcam on my lap top and the built in mic was fried a long time ago.

Interesting. I guess while the webcam would only catch me picking my nose, a super-trojan-recording-device could pick up all sounds and noises.

That's all well and good as long as crime is only in deeds, not in thought. This whole thing hinges upon whether we will continue to live in a free society.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

That last bit is where the real danger lay, IMO... profiling based upon e-activity. A computer program that can look at and analyze things we wouldn't even think of worrying about. With the tech of today a computer could be used to profile us based upon things like the songs we listen to, how long it takes us to read a page, how fast we type, how many tabs we keep open when we browse, how often we blog, how often we check our social messaging tools - even the way we structure our sentences or how often we use certain "key words" even in things as mundane as FB status updates and text messages.

The little things are statistically far more important, in my mind, than the ones many people tend to worry about ( like ZOMG I post to ATS!!! ). I can easily imagine a culture where a social worker or cop could show up at ones door - or workplace - saying "Our systems have alerted us that your browsing habits tend to fit the profile that most _____ fit into".

This tech already exists today, is used in marketing, and is fare more dangerous than most people want to think about. To be undone by our passive and unprotected habits - even as we think we are being "safe".

~Heff

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

"It" is being able to look through your webcam in your computer right into your living room and office. "It" is anyone

Or perhaps I already know your thoughts: You already fully embrace total surveillance state and its technologies. You use these technologies yourself, you love them. And that means its much too late to reverse it.

I like many others, don't own a smart phone.
Don't have a facebook account...etc..
A vehicle with GPS.....

I often wonder though, if "it" is compiling a video of the best nose pickers......

Be truthful....people only freak out about a webcam recording because they are:

naked
picking their nose
scratching their bum
biting their nails
stuffing their faces........

LOL, wasn't there speculation that cable or satellite boxes were recording us?

Also, and even more hilarious to me is how many "it," would have to hire to monitor millions of us!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm not worried about someone hacking into my webcam and monitoring me. What are they going to see or hear? There is no webcam installed on my old computer, even if there is one hidden in the monitor I doubt if it would work with my old version of windows. My video card is old also

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have a USB webcam, so it obviously doesn't work unless i plug it in. Which i only do when i use it. Which also tells you how old my laptop is..

I have a $14 cell flip phone, pay as you go. Have no need for an iPhone.

But i'm retired military and hold a security clearance, so the govt knows everything about me anyway.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I have a webcam that can't be activated without my knowing

I hear from various hackers/pros that it could be done.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Since new computers are "touch screen" (see Windows 8 for instance), fingerprint ID as a "password" will be the next big thing.

And guess what? People will LOVE it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DariusHames

And I especially stay away from apps like wikitude which pinpoints your exact location for everyone to see.

Almost every damn i-phone app I install asks to "know my location". I always click "no, my location is none of your Business"...but there will come a time when its not optional. In fact, people can already track your location if they know your phone number.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

If I can look into your home with my webcam (which I can), then you can look into mine. Make sense?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ
malware/trojans/virues can include their own webcam driver that can be used to activate most webcams.

If anyone has a news-article on this please link to it. This stuff is supposed to be publicized far and wide. Why isnt it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Ever since I read about the highschool student getting into trouble for things he was doing at his private home from his principle spying on the school laptops that they gave out, I have black taped my webcam and also my PS3 eye move until a time when I need to use them. I advise all to do the same.

I guess whoever gives out the laptop and its software can, theoretically, also access all of its information.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Almost every damn i-phone app I install asks to "know my location". I always click "no, my location is none of your Business"...but there will come a time when its not optional. In fact, people can already track your location if they know your phone number.

Why do you have an I-phone?

I find that odd given the nature of the thread. In other words you don't have a right to complain about any of this, do you? You perpetuate the love of these gadgets............

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join