It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Webcam is watching you

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
If you want to introduce a worldwide orwellian surveillance system and police state, people will have to embrace it with open arms. Only happy slaves are good slaves.

Thats why all the stuff people hate is not "it". "It" is something people love and will defend. "It" is things such as Google or your ISP and Facebook and Amazon and whatnot, who follow and record your every move online. "It" is being able to look through your webcam in your computer right into your living room and office. "It" is anyone being able to hack into your computer to see what goes on there. "It" is a potent mix of GPS, Google-Streetview, CCTV and other devices that pinpoint your location and activities at any time. You are lucky that you dont live under a totalitarian dictatorship (yet!), otherwise all of these things could easily be used to create total surveillance and with that total enslavement.

Thoughts?

Or perhaps I already know your thoughts: You already fully embrace total surveillance state and its technologies. You use these technologies yourself, you love them. And that means its much too late to reverse it.

+21 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
To be perfectly honest...I always have a piece of electrical tape covering the webcam on my lap top and the built in mic was fried a long time ago. Why do I keep a piece of tape over it? I don't know really. The best answer I can give is... Just in case....

I guess ATS has had that effect on me, over the years.

Honestly,if anyone were to hack into my webcam to watch, they would be bored to tears within minutes....But...I still cover it up... Again...Just in case.

edit on 28-10-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie
To be perfectly honest...I always have a piece of electrical tape covering the webcam on my lap top and the built in mic was fried a long time ago. Why do I keep a piece of tape over it? I don't know really. The best answer I can give is... Just in case....

Honestly,if anyone were to hack into my webcam to watch, they would be bored to tears within minutes....But...I still cover it up... Again...Just in case.

*whew*

Glad I'm not the only one!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

They`ve been conditioned like dogs , they`re submissive and all they want is a belly rub. But that`s the plan so i never used to blame them until i saw the sheer ignorance when they are confronted with hard facts about this agenda for global domination. I`ve been screamed at by grown men when trying to explain what is happening around them , it seems the masses are nothing but overgrown children who cant see past thier noses and they cant bare the thought of losing that juicy teet.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

*whew*

Looks like I am in with some fine company!

I have a band-aid over mine.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I have a webcam that can't be activated without my knowing and I have never had an instance of it switching on automatically.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen ..... just that I have never come across it happening.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
If Internet access, webcams, and GPS were more uncommon in the modernized world, I would worry more than I currently do. We are still a long way away from a society where we are scrutinized to any great degree. Even with all of this tech, a person still has to do something to flag attention to receive it.

Having said that? My webcam folds - and stays folded closed when not in use and my cell phone is powered off or kept in another room 90% of the time I am home.

What? I'm allowed to be overly paranoid!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
i dont have a gps in the car
i dont have a webcam
i dont have a fakebook account
i dont have an amazon account
i dont have an i-phone
i have a broadband account and thats it
i reckon im in a very small minority

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
"It" doesn't matter because the majority don't care what "it" is...

We ATS'ers probably all have tape covering our webcams.
Primarily because we know who "it" is and what "it" has in store for us.
So we are cautious, patient and alert.
Always waiting for "its" next move.

But if you are unaware of the nefarious plans behind all the mass marketing...
Behind all the medias lies....
Corrupted politicians...
Blatant abuse of powers...

...that makes you one of "them".
Which means you trust everything "it" has to offer.
And find nothing wrong with "it".
Whereas I do.

Great thread.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
i dont have a gps in the car
i dont have a webcam
i dont have a fakebook account
i dont have an amazon account
i dont have an i-phone
i have a broadband account and thats it
i reckon im in a very small minority

I am in a very similar boat... I do use amazon to shop online, but none of the other crap... no gps etc, Heck I dont even own a cell phone at all... for about a year and half to two years ive been without a phone..

Also ripped out the on-star out of my car(the best I could atleast)

Small minority for sure...

EDIT:
Afterthought, I was trying to help my one buddy try and pick out a laptop to use, as his PC is atleast 10 years old, and has trouble loading youtube haha...

Anyways, We came across a decent laptop for like 500 bucks... but the "extras" were just crazy, atleast to us...

Fingerprint ID
Webcam
Built in Mic...

I do have a feeling this will be the norm... I mean a fingerprint ID? That way they can know exactly who you are, where you are, and what you are doing, and at what time/date you are doing it...

Scary scary for sure
edit on 28-10-2012 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild

*whew*

Looks like I am in with some fine company!

I have a band-aid over mine.

Yeah.
Mine's covered too.
Pesky little thing makes me paranoid.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I've already closed all of my accounts and the ones I do use I do with an alias.

And I especially stay away from apps like wikitude which pinpoints your exact location for everyone to see.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
They cannot do that. They would be found out by people that know what they're doing, which would destroy their reputations. They have to reason to do it anyway.
edit on 28-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I have a webcam that can't be activated without my knowing and I have never had an instance of it switching on automatically.

Just an FYI, malware/trojans/virues can include their own webcam driver that can be used to activate most webcams. So just because your webcam software says its not turned on, doesn't mean it isn't. Unless, ofc, your webcam has a hardware switch or folds down into itself, which no amount of hacking could overcome.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I agree with all of this

...But not this...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

*whew*

I confess, I do it too

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Rap news 15 is all about the surveilence state on the internet. Including using webcams against us.

"we've put eyes everywhere, without consulting you,
keeping you safe wether or not you want us to.
Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening.
Then we'll have won the war, take that terrorsim"

edit, - Imagine having that job, having to go through peoples webcams. It'd be like some massive perverted version of chatroulette, which was perverted enough on its own
You'd need to be a massive vouyer to do that job.
edit on 28/10/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Yeah,my webcam is taped up as well-it has been that way since I found out that it had been activated without permission through a malware attack...
Mic has a blob of blu tak over it as well,just in case.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
No web cam or microphone
no cell phone
no gps.

My phone is a basic service land line.
I live in the sticks so my internet is wireless. Which bugs me but I had no option. I have a radio on my roof and the receiver tower is about a mile or so away on a mountain top.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

Just an FYI, malware/trojans/virues can include their own webcam driver that can be used to activate most webcams. So just because your webcam software says its not turned on, doesn't mean it isn't. Unless, ofc, your webcam has a hardware switch or folds down into itself, which no amount of hacking could overcome.

FYI, I have physically checked the circuit running the webcam......The power to the sensor is directly connected to a LED and power cannot be supplied to the camera without the LED being illuminated. I also use linux exclusively and have a rather stringent security system routing all packets from my network through a dedicated system running loggers.

Even if malware managed to take control of the camera and turn it on without me knowing.......I would still pick up the attempt via my loggers.
edit on 28/10/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join