Des Moines Register Endorses Romney!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Well, This has to hurt a bit. This paper enthusiastically endorsed the President in 2008. This time, it seems they feel a bit differently.

Both President Barack Obama and Governor Romney are superbly qualified. Both are graduates of the Harvard University Law School who have distinguished themselves in government, in public service and in private life. Both are devoted husbands and fathers.

Our discussion repeatedly circled back to the nation’s single most important challenge: pulling the economy out of the doldrums, getting more Americans back in the workforce in meaningful jobs with promising futures, and getting the federal government on a track to balance the budget in a bipartisan manner that the country demands.

Which candidate could forge the compromises in Congress to achieve these goals? When the question is framed in those terms, Mitt Romney emerges the stronger candidate.
Source - Des Moines Register

This can't help much either....

Obama Seeks Iowa Newspaper's Endorsement:

12:27PM EDT October 24. 2012 - President Obama asked The Des Moines Register for its endorsement in an interview that the White House had initially put off the record.

"It was a 'personal call' to the Register's publisher and editor, we were told. The specifics of the conversation could not be shared because it was off-the-record.

"Of course, we immediately lobbied his campaign staff in Des Moines for a formal, on-the-record call. We were told it was not their decision; it came from the White House. We requested that the White House be asked to reverse course so whatever the president shared with us could be reviewed by voters and our readers.

"No reason was given for the unusual condition of keeping it private
Source

The news out this morning is saying Iowa is a swing state and crucial with it's 4 College votes. They also have noted in some of what I've seen that the fact 4 votes are crucial is saying much for the close nature of the race. Either way and whatever happens, it's still looking like a nail biter with all sides claiming advantage and surprises still coming. (All international concerns aside for this moment)

The cycle winds down as it spun up. Unpredictable.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Couldn't resist.

edit on 28-10-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I'd noticed this on one of their pages as well. This paper isn't in the habit of endorsing conservatives, it would appear.

• 1964: Lyndon B. Johnson (D) - won
• 1968: Hubert Humphrey (D) - lost
• 1972: Richard Nixon (R) - won
• 1976: Jimmy Carter (D) - won
• 1980: Jimmy Carter (D) - lost
• 1984: Walter Mondale (D) - lost
• 1988: Michael Dukakis (D) - lost
• 1992: Bill Clinton (D) - won
• 1996: Bill Clinton (D) - won
• 2000: Al Gore (D) - lost
• 2004: John Kerry (D) - lost
• 2008: Barack Obama (D) - won

Of course, the last Republican they chose doesn't necessarily say a bunch as an omen ...but it's an interesting history going that far back for pattern. I wonder how seriously people in Iowa treat this?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Hmm seems like a slap in the face.

How long does it take to make a personal call that could help your campaign. Grant it, Obama is a busy man, but I feel some of his campaign priorities are a bit shuffled.

In my opinion a two minute conversation on the record with the president who desires my (des Moines) support, would be more then sufficient. I don't understand the obama administrations desire to keep everything off the record. More squandered opportunities for support te way I see it

Oh if I ran for president there would be some changes I assure you....including making hockey more of a national sport
edit on 28-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The term, death by a 1,000 paper cuts, comes to mind. Ouch. This has got to sting. I think the incumbant was assuming he would carry the same endorsements as last time. The tides are turning Folks. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues this week.

Des

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Bet ya if you were Rolling Stone Magazine, The View, or Saturday Night Live, you would have gotten that 2 minute call in a heart beat. Priorities...it's all about priorities....

Des

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Obama was there 28 (count 'em) 28 times!

And his request was denied.

Seems fitting somehow.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Seems fitting somehow.

Can you elaborate?

There are so many issues cropping up with the Obama campaign, I feel like I am confusing them

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

Originally posted by beezzer

Seems fitting somehow.

Can you elaborate?

There are so many issues cropping up with the Obama campaign, I feel like I am confusing them

A subtle snide towards the request and denial for help in Bengazi.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Oh I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

What goes around, comes around?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Of course they endorsed Romney. Is there not a link between The Des Moines Register, Romney and Bain Capital?? That link went viral months ago...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
And the Chicago Tribune yesterday endorsed Obama. Only the second time in the nearly 200 year history of the paper that it has endorsed a Democrat.

Frankly, if a newspaper has to wait until just over a week to make a decision on who to endorse, what's the point?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Meh, calling Mitt Romney "bipartisan" is a stretch. It's really come down, IMO, to the fact that those who are still somewhat affluent right now are scared to death of Obama, and those who are already having a tough time are scared to death of Romney.

At this point in the game I no longer think that either evil is the lesser choice and don't expect any change regardless of who is elected.

If the Des Moines Register wants to impress me, then they need to publish an obit for the USA. That is about the only way that people are apt to get the right message in time to do something proactive about the woes we are facing and will continue to face.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I would say that the last Republican that they picked is absolutely indicative of what we can expect from a Romney administration.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Wouldnt be surprised Koch brothers probably got to them...

Theres been lots of receivers of that dirty money who have become absolute IRRATIONAL FOOLS in their judgment all of a sudden...

edit on 28-10-2012 by YourWIFI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Habit4ming
Of course they endorsed Romney. Is there not a link between The Des Moines Register, Romney and Bain Capital?? That link went viral months ago...

Hey, thats a clever way to through out a 100% unsupported and unproven allegation. Personally, I've never even heard that one...and we're talking about a paper that Obama had just called and anticipated getting the endorsement from. A paper that DID endorse Obama in 2008. I imagine if this paper HAD endorsed Obama, they'd be golden in everyone's eyes. They didn't....for the first time since Richard Nixon, they endorsed someone other than a Democrat and now it's a smear campaign with false and baseless allegations across web forums?

Now if you can prove that little zinger you threw out like that, I'll take back what I just said. If not? Well..that is a prime example of what I've found wrong with this entire campaign. It's not the general attacking back and forth. Every campaign back to the one following Washington had that. (The early ones MUCH worse actually..lol) However, the totally BASELESS and EMPTY accusations being made as if they carried the weight of fact...IS something different for the sheer volume and nature I see it this time.

So... Got even a hint of support to that idea of the Des Moines Register somehow being corrupt to Romney and Bain Capital?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourWIFI
Wouldnt be surprised Koch brothers probably got to them...

Theres been lots of receivers of that dirty money who have become absolute IRRATIONAL FOOLS in their judgment all of a sudden...

edit on 28-10-2012 by YourWIFI because: (no reason given)

Naturally. If someone endorses Obama they are wise and intelligent. If, however, their politics differ from the far left....they are Irrational Fools. I have to love the way we all keep in mind we're Americans before all else. You'd almost think it's become personal with many beyond a point they can ever step back from now.

In fact...for some, as we all recall things said and done before election day, I think it has crossed that.
. Perspective and just basic basic respect for each other was the first victim of this political war. Truth was it's second victim this time. .

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'd noticed this on one of their pages as well. This paper isn't in the habit of endorsing conservatives, it would appear.

• 1964: Lyndon B. Johnson (D) - won
• 1968: Hubert Humphrey (D) - lost
• 1972: Richard Nixon (R) - won
• 1976: Jimmy Carter (D) - won
• 1980: Jimmy Carter (D) - lost
• 1984: Walter Mondale (D) - lost
• 1988: Michael Dukakis (D) - lost
• 1992: Bill Clinton (D) - won
• 1996: Bill Clinton (D) - won
• 2000: Al Gore (D) - lost
• 2004: John Kerry (D) - lost
• 2008: Barack Obama (D) - won

Of course, the last Republican they chose doesn't necessarily say a bunch as an omen ...but it's an interesting history going that far back for pattern. I wonder how seriously people in Iowa treat this?

Sorry but I cracked up a little when I saw that. Dear god I hope it’s not an omen.

You were the one who said pattern. It is an interesting find S&F.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
And the Chicago Tribune yesterday endorsed Obama. Only the second time in the nearly 200 year history of the paper that it has endorsed a Democrat.

Frankly, if a newspaper has to wait until just over a week to make a decision on who to endorse, what's the point?

And whoever owns the Chicago Tribune was probably sent a dead fish in a box by Obama's Chicago bathhouse buddy, Rahm "Dead Fish" Emanuel, former ballet dancer & current Mayor of Chicago.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Since I live in Des Moines, I through it important to add some vital information to this conversation.

We should not be surprised that the register endorsed Romney. Over the past two years this paper, and many local radio stations, have seen a lot of position changes that favor the Right-leaning writers and radio-goons.

We had one "liberal" radio personality, whom had won many awards for being the most listened to radio show in Iowa, and he was run out of town by Cummulus media. Same thing has gone on with the register.

The Des Moines register always seemed to lean to the left, but after the thrashing they got for criticizing Bush and the "wiretapping".....they have knee-jerked back to center-right.

The Register is no longer a good source of information in Des Moines, and that's why their readership is tanking. So yes, they endorse Romney....but that does not say anything about the people of Iowa or Des Moines.

There is a reason most people here no longer read the paper.....just saying.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join