It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloud Atlas... the first film I can honestly say is "about me".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Greetings, ATSers.

I finished watching Cloud Atlas a little over 28 hours ago. I wanted to process it a little before saying anything.

This film is not only a must see, it is a have-seen. To those with open eyes, it will recount the familiar story of the journey of the soul. Watching it felt so familiar and so... almost nostalgic. Nostalgia is not the right word, but rather a word that describes a feeling of fondness for the past that extends into the present and future, which is beyond my vocabulary.

This film is about who we are as the human race, and that is a singular consciousness that has tricked itself (for the purpose of the story) into thinking that there are others. This is done with props such as human bodies that are inhabited by individuated facets of consciousness and experience-gathering. These multitudes then tell the story of the eventual triumph of love over all obstacles. Not love of an "other", but love of the One that we are.

It has replaced The Matrix as my favorite film of all time. Not easy to do, and only Avatar ever came close.

This film reaches BEHIND the archetypes into what we really are. Do not cheat yourself by not going to see it!

edit on 28-10-2012 by seamus because: dangling sentence part hacked off

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Guess who wrote and directed it?

Andy Wachowski.

One of the guys who directed The Matrix triology and V for Vendetta, both huge in the awakening field.

edit on 28-10-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
One of my favorite books of all time. Not sure how you would convert it into a film. The book is kind of all over the place with some crazy characters. Will have to check out the movie to see he they converted it. Read the book if you get chance.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This movie is amazing. I didn't see it being that we are all one when I watched the film, but I can see elements alluding to that, especially since the star birthmark was found on each of the actors and not just one. My favorite story was the one that takes place in New-Seoul. I kept wanting them to go back to that story because that Asian actress was amazing, and the guy she falls in love with was really attractive. I kind of swooned in that shirtless scene while she is listening to his heart.

My boyfriend liked the story of the gay lovers. I was actually really surprised when I saw it because it's rather rare for a film for the masses to include a gay love scene like that. I was also somewhat sad that their romance was so short-lived (ba-dum-ching). Sure it lived on in the letter, but I wish I could have seen them together longer. I'm really happy they had that story in the film. Was it in the original? I'm hoping someone out there will watch this film and think, "Hey, gay people aren't as bad as I thought." I could dream, right?

I actually really hope this film can change people's lives. It actually deeply affected me. It makes me want to become a better person because our actions whether positive or negative have such a greater affect on the world and the future than we realize.

Definitely buying it on blu-ray as soon as it comes out!

Here is my review:

I strongly recommend ignoring the critics reviews and going to see Cloud Atlas in theaters. Not only is the cinematography beautiful and the soundtrack breathtaking, but the message behind the movie is legendary. It answers a poignant philosophical question that I was struggling with earlier this year: What is the point of doing good in this world when it is inevitable that the world will come to the end? This movie's paramount answer is simple: That every deed, every word, and every action has an effect on the future generations to come. We are not completely in control of our own lives, as we are unknowingly controlled by the lives before us. That is why we must do good, as our negative actions not only affect ourselves and the people around us, but they affect the future generations to come.

I was talking with my boyfriend about this idea. Such as how slavery has had an effect on the African-American psyche even today. People say that it has been so long that it doesn't matter anymore, but no, that misses a bigger picture. Those enslavers and their terrible actions still leave a terrible, frightening impact today. I see it so obviously when I see how some black parents raise their kids.

Our actions need to change. We need to open our eyes to what we are doing to this world and the effects of this damage. Think of how massive chicken factories take dead chicken carcasses and process them to feed the chickens being raised because it is incredibly economical. Is this even remotely justifiable? The scary future set in Cloud Atlas is not so unbelievable when one looks at where we are headed.

Overall, I commend you, Andy and Lana Wachowski and Tom Tykwer. And David Mitchell, you are a literary genius, and I wish you the millions of dollars you so deserve. This story is epic and potentially life-changing for so many. I hope this film opens people's eyes to the greater picture. I'm sure many will be lost in the intertwining stories, but pay attention and be astounded by the beautiful overlap these stories offer. They say TV uses only a small percentage of your brain, but I'd like to think your neurons are firing off the radar while viewing this film.

edit on 11/11/2012 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by seamus

yea..

for another fan of The Matrix and got trumped by this movie .. I'm def watching it now..

thx ..

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

I was actually really surprised when I saw it because it's rather rare for a film for the masses to include a gay love scene like that.

2nd thought..

I'll have to pass..

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Really? How close minded can you be? Ugh...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
reply to post by Xaberz

I was actually really surprised when I saw it because it's rather rare for a film for the masses to include a gay love scene like that.

2nd thought..

I'll have to pass..

Seriously, would that offend you to see two men being affectionate towards each other emotionally or sexually?

Haven't seen it by the way but "The Matrix" WAS one of my favorite films, (until the sequals) I must have watched it over 100 times and I love what the Wachowski Bro's do.

Speed Racer was quite poor IMO.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
They did Speed Racer? I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't watch it, but I heard the reviews. But then again...Cloud Atlas is getting some really negative reviews by critics. Could it be because they hold a grudge against the scene where the movie makes fun of critics?
(That was an incredible scene by the way with what happens to the critic, but wait, you didn't see it. Go see it and be amazed!)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles

reply to post by Xaberz

2nd thought..

I'll have to pass..

Seriously, would that offend you to see two men being affectionate towards each other emotionally or sexually?

Haven't seen it by the way but "The Matrix" WAS one of my favorite films, (until the sequals) I must have watched it over 100 times and I love what the Wachowski Bro's do.

Speed Racer was quite poor IMO.

sexually .. I assumed it is a sexual love scean since it says..love scene'..I'm probably the most emotional man on the planet and have cried & wept with a few men before.. doesn't mean I'm gay, just means I'm empathtic (sp)..

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well, you assumed wrong because there isn't a gay sex scene. There's a straight Asian sex scene with a clone, but there isn't a gay sex scene. Just because there is a love scene doesn't mean there is sex.

I don't even know why I'm responding to this. You're probably going to say, well if there's Straight Asian Clone sex then I'm definitely seeing it, and then I really know I'm responding to someone extremely ignorant...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Saw it twice! Loved it both times!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I've watched this twice now and I'm planning to watch it a third time. It's not important to know the details the first time you see it, I took it as a fast-paced and enjoyable ride the first time, then unravelled the workings of it on the second viewing. There will be Oscars for this, it's pretty mind blowing.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seamus

I have to say this film hooks up to something greater ... something that is in the essence of our souls... that teaches us to fight fear... to overcame ourselvesr.

Its an inspirational movie ... that shows some of the most essential aspects of Jesus teachings... and some how, in different contexts, some of the main characters approach the lesson given to us, by Jesus, when He voluntarily gave Himself to sacrifice.

Are we able to stand up for the message in this movie?... the future will tell...

We need great courage to pursue by this way.. I know, when the time comes, that it's possible.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
i just saw it and was totally blown away.

its a movie that when asked what its about, its really hard to actually say the answer.

its about life, death, love, hate, past, present, future, corruption, liberty,its about you, its about me

its about us as a species.

absolute masterpiece of story telling

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yeah i have to agree seamus.
This is a very rewarding movie that inspires one to look at the world from a whole different angle.
And touched me personally on so many levels i even shed a tear for the gay lovers.
A movie i will never forget.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It was an excellent film, just finished watching it, and then again, the next day. Had to watch it twice.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
So beautiful. Saw it once, gave it two days to sink in, watched it 2nd time yesterday, will have to watch again and again.

I'm a Tykwer fan since Run Lola Run, a Wachowski fan since "The Matrix" so them doing a movie together is great in itself. Having some lead actors play up to six roles, having actors play female roles and actresses play male characters, having a homosexual kissing scene (I'm straight, but still) and a sex scene with a pre-teen (clones don't get older than 12, right?) surely crossed many boundaries and broke with many conventions. Okay, "The Fountain" was great visually and by the way it told three stories at the same time, but what Cloud Atlas did was so different from everything I've seen until now - telling one story spanning six different ages in six different styles... and the music, the music! As if the whole movie was one huge music video. The way it builds up to the scene where all the porcelain is flying... I felt like I could watch that movie for hours and hours.

Is Cloud Atlas megalomaniac? Of course it is, and it's great at being megalomaniac.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

reply to post by Xaberz

2nd thought.. I'll have to pass..

Relax. It's not explicit. You won't get the willies or anything. It's just afterglowing ... that kind of thing.

We just rented the movie 'On Demand' a few days ago. I didn't know anything about it when we rented it. It took me about an hour (it's a three hour movie) to get the swing of it. It wasn't until the last 20 minutes that it all came together for me. Now that I 'get it' ... I want to see it again.

It's a VERY DIFFERENT movie. Excellent - IMHO.

new topics

top topics

join