It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Superstorm Threat Launches Mass Evacuations (Thread Will Include Updates)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Seems to me that the biggest danger is flooding in low lying areas. Duirng Katrina this is how most people died, many stuck in their attics with no way out. If your last resort is the attic, don't go up there without an ax or some way to get out if the water keeps rising. You will laos need some flotation devices. If it gets to that point it will be pretty obvious what is going to float.
edit on 28-10-2012 by sligtlyskeptical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Are you serious? You would leave your family in an emergency? Huh. Bad karma.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Myomistress

Are you serious? You would leave your family in an emergency? Huh. Bad karma.

Depends who the family is, if it's the Manson Family I'm leaving them

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Sounded to me like a pretty serious day they spent together getting things up from the basement, I mean if you have a 20 something year old son it would break your heart that he would chose to run off to a party rather than stick it out with his family in an emergency. He said he needed to learn to grow up and be a survivor on his own, well the first step is showing some balls and loyalty. I have no respect for that kind of self serving immaturity.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheKingsVillian
This is a post to all the people who maybe affected by Sandy and are posting updates.

If your power goes out, no more posts, you may need your battery more than ever. One phone call could save your life or even that one twitter or facebook post. You maybe without power for an extended period of time.

People are payed wages to cover these types of events and have the gear to be on the road in them. Let those people document the event while its in progress.

If you have any old spare mobile phones that will work with your current sim card. I would suggest pulling them out and charging them up just in case.

PLEASE STAY SAFE. My thoughts are with you all. Godspeed to you all.

edit on 28-10-2012 by TheKingsVillian because: (no reason given)

Thank you so much for the phone idea. I still have my old phone and am charging it now. Would never have thought of that...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
No worries, glad I could help some one half a world away.
Stay safe people.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

reply to post by jhn7537

Sounded to me like a pretty serious day they spent together getting things up from the basement, I mean if you have a 20 something year old son it would break your heart that he would chose to run off to a party rather than stick it out with his family in an emergency. He said he needed to learn to grow up and be a survivor on his own, well the first step is showing some balls and loyalty. I have no respect for that kind of self serving immaturity.

Um, he IS the "20 something year old". From what I gather, he's worried about leaving his family (family being parents and possibly siblings). He mentioned his school being closed only one day for this storm. This means that they expect students to be there on Tuesday, ready to take scheduled exams and attend class.

Heck, I'm a student and I know how inflexible the university professors and administration can be with absences and making up school work. I suffered a trimalleolar fracture (broke my tibia, fibula, and ankle) in August of this year. I was in the summer semester and the break happened two days after the last day to drop. I was hospitalized and had to fax hospital papers to the Dean. Once I was discharged, the doctor wrote a work and school dismissal order for an indefinite period of time. I did all I could to go against those orders and get my butt to class, only missing three consecutive classes with each course. I can't afford to drop the classes and suffer financial consequences. Anyway, fast forward to end of term. I was able to get an incomplete (and have now completed) from all but one class. I wasn't able to get in 90% of the course-load, the professor required, for the "I". So, now I'm out $1700 for that one class that I have to retake in January.

So, I'm giving my story to show that I'm aware of the consequences which could be worse than the consequences of "staying with family". His "family" is obviously grown and independent.. He? Not so much. His responsibility is his studies.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

But, didn't New Orleans flood because the levees failed? Not really because of the hurricane? Not sure just wondering?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

State of emergency, going to a friends party, the story sounds selfish to me. Sorry to hear about your situation, hope all is well now.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

He doesn't have XM yet. They're keeping him updated fairly well via qualcomm, but he's still very uncomfortable. He's sitting at gross weight but he'll be dropping 3/4 of his load in Connecticut before heading to his drop in Northern Jersey which is scheduled for 8am tomorrow morning. After that he's supposed to head to Georgetown.
I heard that I-95 will (obviously) be affected, so I'm kind of wondering if they'll have checkpoints or some such thing due to the evacs. I have no idea how this stuff works.

edit on 10/29/2012 by Slinki because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

LIVE VIDEO FEEDS -

TIMES SQUARE

CONEY ISLAND

STATUE OF LIBERTY

BROOKLYN BRIDGE

MIDTOWN

ATLANTIC CITY

DC

More - > www.earthcam.com...

Wow nice info! thanks!

And... by the looks of it noone in times square gives a crap

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, I posted my reply to you, before reading the post about the party. Now, I get what you are pointing out. Yeah, I would think that being with family would out-weigh any college party. However, I'm now thinking that perhaps the op was staying at this friend's house that is local to his university. If so, I understand it may be due to the university being closed Monday. (S)he did mention leaving right away, so not to be stuck in the middle of the storm and not getting back to school in time for Tuesday. So, I'll give the benefit of doubt here and say that the student is going to the friend's house, so he can be at school on Tuesday and not so he can join the hurricane-party.

Otherwise, I'm with you on this and retract my previous statement.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

reply to post by SourGrapes

edit on 29-10-2012 by DejaVuAgain because: posted before reading fully, please remove

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This should read "Storm threatens to bring mass robberies"

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I think you need to reel it in and calm down real fast. I'm primarily returning to university because I have to be there for classes and assignments at later points in the week as the other poster up above has stated. They get it and understand, you clearly don't. I'm also not going back to party. I'm mostly going to the friend's for companionship because there is safety in numbers versus roughing it alone all by myself. My family are just fine and can take care of themselves. They don't need me here for turning on a generator or staying inside, those things come quite naturally and easily I'm afraid. It's not really going to be a legit party anyway, just a couple of drinks and sitting around while we ride out the storm. You need to just relax and stop being so butthurt about something you don't even understand and people you don't even know. Also, I am not a man, I am in fact a woman. So I'm sorry but I in fact cannot have balls. There is nothing to be loyal to either. My family are a tough group of people and can take care of themselves. I on the other hand have a responsibility to be at school to be able to attend classes instead of being stuck here and not being able to get back. You need to hold your obnoxious comments back until you have the whole story.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I can't tell you how many times I heard the words "hurricane party" when I lived in Florida. Usually being about what you described. Everyone really does need to just relax a bit.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Oooooooooooooooooo How fun!!!!

I would like to thank the earlier poster for the live cams, not to sound inconsiderate but I enjoy marveling at the vindictive power of mother nature.

Hope everyone get's out okay, keep your ears on the news(radio,television what have you), and if you here them give the word to leave, don't take them lightly. Better safe than dead.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
ahh.. where exactly are you going to evac TOO? !

thoughts & prayers to those in the path... keep my sis-in-law and my nices in prayer as well.. thx you..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Well, not to sound like I'm being mean, but where ever you're told to go. An Evacuation order usually has a little more instructions than " Leave". I don't know what the hurricane protocol is, I'm fortunate to live up a mountain, far from the ocean, tornadoes, and earthquakes. This isn't my forte, and I imagine the window for an evacuation is going to be now or early tomorrow sometime as this storm is set to make land fall, monday/tuesdayish. Just saying, it's best to listen to advisories.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I wonder the same thing, I'm in an area that could be affected by this storm. I'm pretty sure if we had to evacuate to a shelter it's normally the local school, being a rural community. But the school in my town is lower elevated than where I live, so there's really not much incentive to go there.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join