It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inauguration day is on Jan. 21,2013.....Martin Luther Kings Birthday....would that be a problem for

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It’s not exactly a state secret that the 57th Inauguration in the nation’s history will take place on Jan. 21, Martin Luther King Day – but it will surely come as news to most Americans.

The official Inauguration Day is January 20th. However, as that date falls on a Sunday in 2013, the public swearing-in ceremony will be held on Monday, January 21, 2013.

Now then, if Obama wins re-election, there should not be a problem.

However, if Romney were to win, does any one foresee a problem?

On another thread it had stated that on the Social Networks that some people are planning to cause riots and other threats towards Romney if he were to win.

I guess what I'm asking is....would some find it, um, disrespectful [if Romney won], for him to be sworn in on MLK day?

The oversight committee has already set this date since the 20th fell on Sun...

The Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies is chaired by Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer and includes Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander, Speaker of the House John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi. This is the body that plans and executes all Inaugural activities at the U.S. Capitol, including the swearing-in ceremony of the president and vice president and the traditional luncheon that follows.

So who is going to be providing security for the Inauguration Jan. 21, 2013?

The U.S. Army will be involved in a joint task force with the Capitol Police and members of police departments from around the country. But it will be the Department of Defense that is paramount to the security of the 57th presidential Inauguration.

But will civility rule on Jan. 21?

I sure wish people didn't feed on anger and hatred, but some unfortunately do, as has been expressed via Twitter/Facebook....

Regardless of who wins the election, this day is supposed to be filled with happy anticipation [depending on who you voted for, that is....]

Do you think they should keep it on Mon. or post-pone it until Tues.....

I know the date is set, but I hope there will be no civil unrest.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

It would be the epitome of political correctness, to change the inauguration date. This is my own humble opinion...

Des

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Yes, I know I should have done my research, but I'm feeling lazy tonight. Just a couple of quick questions.

MLK day is a federal holiday, wouldn't they postpone it just because of that?

Is your fear that the Blacks of the D.C. area will not be able to control their violent impulses, but the next day they'll be fine, regardless of the Tweets and Facebook postings?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Charles. My way of thinking, if people are going to riot over Romney displacing Obama in the WH, it won't make a difference what day the swearing-in is. They've already made up their minds on instigating violence.

Des

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I knew I should have done my research. Sorry, guys.

From The Washington Examiner:

Changing the date took an act of Congress--literally. S. Con. Res. 35 established January 21, 2013, as the official date for the Inaugural.
So, apparently they've already thought about it. It looks like it's going to be the 21st.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

No, I don't see where it should be a problem. But that's just it, I don't see a problem, but others are just looking for any excuse to cause trouble, if it wasn't this, it'd be because the sun was out, or because it was raining, anything. And this is where if obama had any morals/backbone he'd put his big boy pants on and nip the protest/riot rumors in the butt and tell the masses we're better then that and welcome the new President.
Yeah, I know, I don't see obama having spine enough to do that.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by charles1952

Charles. My way of thinking, if people are going to riot over Romney displacing Obama in the WH, it won't make a difference what day the swearing-in is. They've already made up their minds on instigating violence.

Des

The only difference is, MLK day would up the ante.

Personally, I don't care.
But some might.....

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

No, I don't see where it should be a problem. But that's just it, I don't see a problem, but others are just looking for any excuse to cause trouble, if it wasn't this, it'd be because the sun was out, or because it was raining, anything. And this is where if obama had any morals/backbone he'd put his big boy pants on and nip the protest/riot rumors in the butt and tell the masses we're better then that and welcome the new President.
Yeah, I know, I don't see obama having spine enough to do that.

It's not just the Obama supporters. We have a serious problem here:

While violence was the calling card of the old Klan, Howard repeatedly said the Klan had moved on from that tactic. Yet he and others freely talked about a looming race war if Obama was re-elected. The KKK and other groups call it "the storm."

"Oh, it's going to happen. And I fear it. ... And it ain't just me. ... If he gets four more years, Barack Obama will ruin this country. And white people will be in concentration camps, and if you don't think that white people [can] be in concentration camps, [you] are sadly mistaken

abcnews.go.com...

A Texas judge said this week that a “civil war” could possibly erupt in the U.S. if President Barack Obama is reelected.

www.politico.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

And this is where if obama had any morals/backbone he'd put his big boy pants on and nip the protest/riot rumors in the butt and tell the masses we're better then that and welcome the new President.

I agree.....

If any of this information is correct regarding a possible retaliation due to the out come of this election, it would be very wise and classy for the President to let his disdain towards any violence be known to the public a head of time and remind every one of the message of MLK.... PEACE, UNITY AND EQUALITY for all.

Now to me, that would be disrespectful towards the memory of MLK if any thing like that were to happen.
Hopefully, nothing will happen.......

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

The Politico story, that's more about the UN being involved....which if Obama allows the UN to start interfering with our country's elections and such, yeah, people will get upset [ALL people...]

In fact, the UN has stated that they will help watch our polls on election day.
Now, the Gov. of Texas did make a big stink over that and let it be known that legally they have to stay at least 500 ft. away from the polls.

The UN even tried to interfere soon after the Trayvon Martin shooting........sorry, but none of their business.

Now, that ABC link, man talk about backwoods!!
I didn't realize that kind of thinking still remained.
At least their numbers are low.....maybe a few thousand.

new topics

top topics

join