It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT Magnitude: 7.7 West Coast of Canada

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
www.cp24.com...

Brent Ward, an earth scientist at Simon Fraser University, said the earthquake was the second largest to hit the country since 1949, when another earthquake was recorded in the same area with a magnitude of 8.1.

"It's an earthquake in an area that gets a lot of earthquakes," he said. "It's a tectonically active area."

Ward said the area is known as the Queen Charlotte fault, where the earth's plates slide horizontally across each other in a strike-slip action, similar to what happens along California's San Andreas fault.

Ward said he wasn't surprised the tsunami warning was shortlived because the strike-slip movement along the fault doesn't generally trigger tsunamis.

"To trigger a tsunami you need to have a vertical movement of the sea floor, and it's that vertical movement that displaces water and triggers the tsunami," he said. "Because it's sliding across each other, you're not generally moving the water."

This part is a massive relief. This was the second biggest quake in BC since late 1940's in that area, and yet prone to activity.

But the kind of quakes there do not usually cause tsumani's. That is good news.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

you are most likely right.
We have been talking about this for years here on/around Vancouver island, it is important to be prepared for whenever this may occur.

In the mean time just enjoy life and do not waste time on fear.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetboy12
reply to post by Darkblade71

Meteors, shot over the bow. Your response Bugs.

If San Fran gets a big EQ or a meteor smashes into the water around there, you would. We will have to see how this all plays out, but I guess you did pick up some sort of activity.

Anything is possible.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth
Perhaps, some of you would like to jump into this thread: Is HAARP feeding SANDY? (The Conspiracy Side)

MSM is now calling the storm a HYBRID....hummmm!!!

Makes me wonder, what with all the political correctness going around

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Don't know if anyboyd mentioned, but this was the third largest EQ in Canada since 1900.

The cascadia quake in 1700 was across the whole fault:
www.ouramazingplanet.com -
Digging Into the Past Reveals Future Quake Potential...

This research complements a huge body of research conducted in Washington, which has revealed that in the year 1700, it's likely the entire Cascadia Subduction Zone slipped, generating a massive, magnitude-9.0 earthquake, which sent a damaging tsunami across the ocean as far as Japan.

Much of the evidence suggests that these colossal earthquakes happen approximately 500 years apart. However, even smaller, more local earthquakes indicated by Valentine's and other's studies could cause widespread damage in California.

"Even if you don't have a 9 or an 8, it can still be very devastating to the region," he said.

The chances of a BIG event along the entire fault in the next 50 years are:
www.ouramazingplanet.com -
Oregon Preps for The Big One: Lessons from an Ancient Quake...

He said that on average, the Cascadia ruptures roughly every 500 years, but the intervals between quakes can be as brief as 200 years or longer than 1,000.

Most recent data suggest there's about a one-in-10 chance the Cascadia will rupture in the next 50 years.

"One could happen here tomorrow, or it may take centuries for the next one to happen," Atwater said. "But you want to be prepared for it when it does."

There was a recently study released I believe that found the chances for an EQ between California and Oregon is higher than previously thought. This is more likely than the whole fault slipping.

I searched for a link to back up this memory and found this:
t hewatchers.adorraeli.com - New study shows Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake risk to be much higher than previously thought...

According to Chris Goldfinger, a professor in OSU’s College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences and lead author of the study, the southern margin of Cascadia has a much higher recurrence level for major earthquakes than the northern end and it is overdue for a rupture. However, that doesn’t mean that an earthquake couldn’t strike first along the northern half, from Newport, Oregon, to Vancouver Island. Major earthquakes tend to strike more frequently along the southern end – every 240 years or so – and it has been longer than that since it last happened. The probability for an earthquake on the southern part of the fault is more than double that of the northern end.

Here's another link to corroborate the same Goldfinger study (to show it's not a tabloid thing):
www.nature.com - Risk of giant quake off American west coast goes up...

So we know the whole fault slipped about 312 years ago in 1700. We know that the occurrence of Cascadia quakes that impact the whole fault are about every 500 years. And we know that major earthquakes on the southern end of the Cascadia fault are more frequent. They happen about every 240 years. And the last time this happened was MORE than 240 years ago.

The link says there's double the chance that the southern end is trucked first.
edit on 28-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I didn't notice this one--nice catch WC. I agree with you, the southern migration is worrisome and I wish it would stop.
I'm sure you have observed the sporadic tremor under Van Island and Puget Sound. Do you think there is any correlation with the aftershocks?

edit on 10/28/2012 by Olivine because: ugh--spelling

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Happy that I decided to go to bed last night but now I'm a little bit concerned seeing what the pattern of aftershocks have been for the last 7 hours. It seems like they are calling it a strike-slip quake but should there be this many aftershocks and should they be moving down?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Pretty big quake, but a non-event for Hawaii residents...

(CNN) -- A tsunami warning for Hawaii, triggered by a powerful earthquake in Canada, proved nothing more than a pre-Halloween scare for thousands of people this weekend.

"The tourists are doing their best Chicken Little impressions," one CNN iReporter in West Maui, Hawaii, wrote early Sunday.

Sirens announced the tsunami warning across Hawaii on Saturday night, as thousands of revelers packed streets in Honolulu for the annual Hallowbaloo festival and many others in costumes headed to Halloween parties.

Restaurants, clubs and the festival immediately shut down and the parties turned into bumper-to-bumper traffic jams as residents headed to higher ground.

Visions of the devastating quake and tsunami that killed thousands in Japan in March 2011 fueled the fright, but the waves proved to be smaller and less powerful than feared.

While the warning said waves could surge between 3 and 6 feet, the largest wave, measured in Kahului on the island of Maui, was about 2.5 feet above ambient sea level, according to Gerard Fryer, senior geophysicist at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

Full CNN Story, here.

[Mainly, for folks logging back on into this thread who - like me - don't have time to sift thru all 19 pages]
edit on 10/28/2012 by SquirrelNutz because: reasoning

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

I'm glad it didn't produce a damaging tsunami. I was very worried about that. If it had, I would of lost a lot of friends in southeast Alaska. They seem to think where I am from that the mountains will save them from the water coming around them, and I am not so sure of that.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I made this prediction on a previous earthquake thread on October 6th. No one really listened to me or took me seriously. I saw this coming and I'm telling you this is not the end. This is just the initial jolt. I will predict here now that a much bigger event is going to occur very soon in this same general region or farther south closer to Vancouver Island.
edit on 28-10-2012 by mark1167 because: typo

Ya that about as close as we can expect
and like you said it just the start of it

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Here's the latest snap shot of the region. All the aftershocks in the 4 to 5 range and non stop for a while now. Just look at that cluster and compare it to the image from three weeks ago. It's amazing and eerie at the same time. Imagine another 500km south and what might have happened. Like the previous poster stated the migration south is worrisome. People on the west coast need to be prepared.

reply to post by Trillium

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

I added your prediction to my that's a hit thread

Good job!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Here background info
Table of Earthquakes in the last 30 days
www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Yeah but 10 years from now, no one is going to be saying "Remember the big one of 2012?" and think of this quake. It's not going to be written about in any history book. People will still remember Japan's quake, and Haiti's quake. I don't see Countries asking their citizens to donate to help rebuild after this quake.

The only people that will remember it, are the people that felt it.

With that in mind, I don't feel that this is considered a "major" quake.

In my opinion.
edit on 28-10-2012 by swoopaloop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by swoopaloop

That could very well be. I hope you are right.

I just wonder about it because I live in that area normally, but kind of got pulled out of there 2 years ago, and I believe I am not supposed to go back until after something happens, what that is, I don't know. But I have a connection to that part of the world in my soul, so when something happens.....apparently I pick up on it.

The whole point really is to help in the advancement of acceptance of psychic abilities and to raise awareness so that everyone can have these early warnings and maybe avoid some damage themselves.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore

Originally posted by darrylss
I live next door in Alberta, we never see anything EXCITING!! lol

My brother lives in Vancouver.... I hope he uses his fat wife as a flotation device... hahahaha

Are you sure your brothers frst wife didn't cause the quake?

I think she caused the Second earth quake haha, after the first one. it knocked her over, and resulted in a smaller earth quake

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I just woke up to read about it this morning. I didn't feel anything here in Olympia, WA.

I just hope that this is not a foreshock or a loading event for the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Would this be considered more earthquakes traveling south, like many of you are saying?

2.5 Washington
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

A couple of weeks ago the the Cascadia Subduction Zone was pretty active and has been off and on for a while now. Looking at the map it seems to almost of gone silent at the moment.

What I have watched and pictured over the years is the CSZ unzipping from Northern California upwards into Canada. But then again, I guess it could just as easily do it from the top down as well.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Do you guys understand that this happens here with every earthquake, it gets silly because every single day people predict things here and every single day they are wrong....

Even the ones who call themselves psychic and get one right every now and then always have many many other predictions that didn't happen.

This thread was about the actual quake, not who predicted it....this stuff is getting out of line

As I said before the whole scientific process is destroyed by your guys logic.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join