It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT Magnitude: 7.7 West Coast of Canada

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Sadly that is exactly right and the reason why my idiot husband is down at the beach righ tnow. I hope he's still there when I get home.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NiteNGale2

On your link they just said that boats are sitting on the sand in Helo (spelling). That means the water is receding there. Any live shots of that area?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by NiteNGale2

On your link they just said that boats are sitting on the sand in Helo (spelling). That means the water is receding there. Any live shots of that area?

Link to livestream livestream Hawaii

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Oh noes, 3 foot waves? They better head for the hills fast and prepare for the apocalypse.

A 3 foot tsunami would flip cars, and damage solid structures.

A tsunami is not like a normal wave. As another poster mentioned earlier the issue with tsunamis is not the height but the volume of the wave. 3ft high, 1 mile long traveling anywhere from 100-800mph will do incredible damage to the coast. Have you ever been hit by a single small volume 3 ft wave at the beach? It's a pretty good punch, and they are likely less than 25feet in length. They also mentioned it could be as high as 7+ft. Now a 7ft tsunami is taller than most civilians, it will kill you, if not by drowning, when it slams you into something at high speed.

Don't take tsunami's lightly. A Tsunami is different than a standard sea wave.

"On April 1, 1946, a magnitude-7.8 (Richter Scale) earthquake occurred near the Aleutian Islands, Alaska. It generated a tsunami which inundated Hilo on the island of Hawai'i with a 14 metres (46 ft) high surge. The area where the earthquake occurred is where the Pacific Ocean floor is subducting (or being pushed downwards) under Alaska." This is from wiki, pretty much the same distance and earthquake strength that just occurred.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I don't have a link to a Hilo camera. The report came through via the live stream www.hawaiinewsnow.com... link that was shared on this thread. I'm not sure of the exact location of the camera that I am viewing. If the water levels are dropping, I assume that there will be a corresponding rise?
edit on 28-10-2012 by NiteNGale2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Lol I know I was just being a smart-ass

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Oh noes, 3 foot waves? They better head for the hills fast and prepare for the apocalypse.

until...

it hits close your home town and sweeps your loved ones and yourself out to sea....

and yes.. better run for the damm hills and take your insinsitivity with you !!!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Well it turned out to be a 6-inch wave and it's come and gone. That was quite a let-down after it being hyped up so much.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I told ya'll so...

I told you so

Peace!

What did you tell us? That some crack pot on Youtube predicted a quake for August?
Well it's October now...so what did you tell us again?

That an earthquake could happen ANY DAY NOW in a region that is prone to earthquakes and is part of the "Ring of Fire" around the Pacific?

Well, gee, call your self a prophet and we the masses will bow down to you and worship you like a God.
Obviously, you are divine, since the rest of us are too dumb to make a post claiming that any day now a quake will happen in the Ring of Fire...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NiteNGale2
reply to post by intrptr

I don't have a link to a Hilo camera. The report came through via the live stream www.hawaiinewsnow.com... link that was shared on this link. I'm not sure of the exact location of the camera that I am viewing. If the water levels are dropping, I assume that there will be a corresponding rise?

I been watching that. The view is of the windward side of the Island, not the other side in the direct line of whatever wave is coming. There at Hilo the reporter briefly mentioned boats are sitting on the harbor bottom.

Theres your sign...

Too bad its night time. We can't see the wave on the horizon as it returns. Yes, there is a wave inbound at that harbor in Hilo... stay tuned to see how high it will be.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
They just mentioned the fact that the tsunami debris from Japan is still floating out there.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Those are the first waves which are usually smaller. They are reporting that they are getting bigger and at one of the beaches the water has receded 2 feet in a very short amount of time.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Okay, well he's saying it seems like it's okay, but he says we have to wait and see.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Dude just said, "Beginning to look like the evacuation wasn't necessary..."

Whew

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I want a refund.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Hilo bay showed a low of -1.5 feet and a high of +.5 with the first wave.
Second drawdown now occuring.
Hilo

Second wave at Kahului now showing +2.25 feet.
Kahului

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage...
I'm trying to learn more about earthquakes. (I recently moved to the PNW) What sort of plate tectonics were involved in the 7.7? I was starting to associate tsunamis with thrust zones but it didn't look like a subduction zone was involved according the map that I saw. Can lateral movement quakes produce tsunamis?

edit on 28-10-2012 by NiteNGale2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Another aftershock. 4.5. There seems to be a slight delay between different sites reporting them.

link   
third tsunamis wave is usualy the worst
the warnings has not been lifted

dont let down your defenses just yet
edit on 10/28/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Phage

Now almost 4 feet... thats height of water over normal, right?
tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov...

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join