It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

East Coast "Superstorm" Prompts Governor Cuomo to Direct MTA to Prepare for Service Suspensions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

East Coast "Superstorm" Prompts Governor Cuomo to Direct MTA to Prepare for Service Suspensions

Eyeing the possibility that Hurricane Sandy will continue on its path toward the New York City metropolitan area, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today directed the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to begin planning for an orderly suspension of all subway, bus and commuter railroad service.

Director of State Operations Howard Glaser, Health Commissioner Dr. Nirav Shah, MTA Chairman and CEO Joseph Lhota, and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Executive Director Pat Foye gave an update on preparations this afternoon at the Governor’s New York City Office.

A final decision on whether to suspend service will be made by Sunday, but due to the logistics and the sheer size of the system, the MTA must begin preparing immediately for a possible suspension to protect its customers, its employees and its equipment.

If a decision to suspend service is made by Sunday, New York City subways and buses would begin an orderly suspension of service at 7 p.m. Sunday. Metro-North Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road would suspend service at 7 p.m. Sunday. Some lines may be curtailed over a period of several hours before all service is suspended, but no one would be able to rely on any MTA service after 7 p.m. Sunday.

Source Article MTA.info

With the way the track is looking the decision that is to be made tomorrow is looking more prominent. I remember watching an episode of Mega Disasters that played out a worst case scenario of a hurricane making direct landfall in Manhattan and gave the implications there of.

Although the above scenario depicts a much more powerful hurricane than what Sandy will most likely be (barring any effects from the adjoining weather front or full moon and any associative high tides that will exacerbate an already powerful storm surge) but with what they've been forecasting I don't envy any of you folks in the path of this storm, New York residents or not.

Sending well wishes out, I hope everyone has taken all necessary precautions and fairs well once the skies clear.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Another story...

City Braces for Possible Transit Shut Down; Evacuations in Parts of NJ, NY

If the decision is made to halt service, New York City subways and buses would start phasing out service at 7 p.m. Sunday.

NJ Transit also began preparations for the possible shutdown of service. The systematic shutdown would require a minimum of 12 hours to complete.

Bloomberg said that 65 shelters located in public schools would be open, fully staffed and stocked, Sunday morning at 9 a.m. He added the all city parks would be closed by 5 p.m. on Sunday. As of now, city offices would be open on Monday. A decision on whether city schools will be open Monday is expected Sunday afternoon.

Still Bloomberg warned people to take be prepared, suggesting they get a "go-bag" ready, store water and to stay indoors.. "Don’t get lulled [Sunday] when there’s not a lot of rain and not a lot of wind. This is a dangerous storm,” Bloomberg said. “But if it were to strengthen unexpectedly or change it’s expected path it could do a lot of damage and you could be at risk.”

WNYC.org Source Article

Bloomberg offers some sound advice. 12 hours to complete a shutdown is not too bad I suppose, considering the size of the whole system.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Not picking at your OP.
I'm just curious.
Are they actually calling it a superstorm?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Quoted the article, a CAT 2 to some is just that, and to others a "Superstorm"...

The interesting part is they may suspend the whole service. I am not a New Yorker, but I don't recall this ever occurring before en masse (if it gets shutdown tomorrow that is).

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Forecasters have said that flooding could be extensive, and that the storm surge could flood NYC's Subway system if it arrives in the area around Monday at 9 p.m., which is when high tide will be in the region.

I had begun thinking about the implications of the NYC subway system flooding. What could this mean to the city? Obviously, lack of public transportation and the subsequent inability of millions to get to work come to mind. Possible power and water outages, as the utility delivery systems lie beneath ground.
Could broken sewage lines present a biohazard? What about the tons and tons of litter down there?
Then I thought about the rats. Here a a site dedicated to NYC subways' rat infestation problem.
ratfreesubways.com...

As much as people love to throw around gross estimates, I was unable to find real statistics as to an estimate of the rat population in NYC Subways, but it is apparently an ever-growing problem. Rats seen at at least 1 in 10 stations: the ones that are seen, these are.
What happens to millions and millions of rats when flooded? Do they die and become fodder for disease organisms? Do they run up, to the streets and buildings?
Sorry for positing negative thoughts, but I have been wondering to myself for hours now. The subways' closing is being mentioned in the most recent updates, but are the deeper implications than not being able to commute, intentionally not being discussed?
But most likely, I am just trippin...

Anyway, cockroaches too...

edit on 28-10-2012 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
All very prevalent concerns imo. For the rats, logically I would think that yes they would indeed seek higher ground. Flood waters usually are primed for disease in these conditions unfortunately, but add in all that you've mentioned and well it wouldn't be good not even counting the transportation issues which in of itself would be monumental.

Let us all just hope for the best, more will be known by tomorrow according to the article so no worries until its warranted right?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well there you have it...

MTA Shut Down In New York: As Hurricane Sandy Nears, Subway And Bus Service Suspended After 7PM Sunday

In anticipation of Hurricane Sandy, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the MTA will suspend all mass transit service beginning at 7PM on Sunday.

The "orderly suspension" will shut down all subway, bus, and commuter rail service in New York City.

MTA chief Jay Lhota said service should be restored by Wednesday.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Photo: NYC MTA boarding up subway grates like this one on West Broadway

This is rich, noble attempt but, do they really think this will keep flood waters at bay (pun intended)?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
@Amtrak tweeted: (via breakingnews.com)

AmtrakNEC service north of New York cancelled starting at 7:00 p.m.tonight. Nearly all service on the eastern seaboard on Monday, Oct 29.

...also from the same source, it seems Philadelphia is suspending it's metro transit services.

@AP tweeted:

Philadelphia transit agency to suspend all service at end of Sunday due to nearing storm

Looks like a lot of people are going to be without public transportation on Monday.

top topics

join