It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America drops to #10 in the list of the freest Nations on Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As you would expect - we are no longer considered a free nation - we are now in the "Mostly Free"catagory ..
the question I have is why two decades ago they started this rating system... ???? to chart the progress of the NWO ... ?

U.S. Drops to the Tenth Freest Nation on Earth: Now Listed as Mostly Free
March 16th, 2012
By Dr. Harold Pease

For nearly two decades the Heritage Foundation and the Wall Street Journal have teamed-up tracking and rating the 184 nations of the earth on economic freedom. In their 2012 ratings “Hong Kong and Singapore finished first and second in the rankings for the 18th straight year. Australia and New Zealand ranked third and fourth, and Switzerland fifth. Canada finished sixth, … falling out of the group of ‘free’ economies into the ‘mostly free’ category;” a fall made by the United States in 2010. The U.S. also slipped from a three-way tie for ninth place last year to tenth place today. Even Mauritius, taking eighth, a small island off the coast of Africa, was seen as more economically free than we, as were Chile and Ireland taking seventh and ninth.

The 484-page rather complex document, rated countries in ten types of freedom: labor, business, trade, fiscal, government spending, monetary, investment, financial, property, and freedom from corruption. These ten then were evaluated on the basis of “the rule of law, the intrusiveness of government, regulatory efficiency, and the openness of free markets.” A country’s overall score was the average of these categories.

The average economic freedom score for the world dropped two-tenths of a point from 2011, primarily because countries tried to spend their way out of recession and failed. “Rapid expansion of government, more than any market factor, appears to be responsible for flagging economic dynamism. Government spending has not only failed to arrest the economic crisis, but also—in many countries—seems to be prolonging it. The big-government approach has led to bloated public debt, turning an economic slowdown into a fiscal crisis with economic stagnation fueling long-term unemployment,” they concluded.

source

edit on 27-10-2012 by 1BornPatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
With the patriot act and ndaa section 1031, I don't see how we can even be considered "mostly free". We have only the illusion of freedom right now.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The article talks about economic freedom. With Hong Kong being #1, you can go right ahead and believe a communist country is the freest country in the world. Economically they are, but that's about it.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

I would almost say that if you want to free up the economics you have to reduce the rules of starting a new economic environment, like taxes and environmental issues. ?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
We could rank in like the bottom 25th percentile and as long as Facebook, dubstep, and Apple are accessible the people won't care ... inflation, wars, bailouts, rigged elections, etc., be d*mned.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

This is economic freedom. This type of study is conducted to trick people into equating "lack of corporate regulation" with "freedom".

The more free corporations are the less free the people are. You can keep that kind of freedom.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thanks~

'mostly free' - you know the ones promoting this fallacious oxymoronic label have yet to realize the meaning of FREE!

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
When was America a FREE country? Blacks gained equal rights less than 50 years ago, FIVE ZERO. Have you done a search on some of the dumbest laws in America. anything you can think of is considered unlawful or a crime in this country. We can't grow certain plants, people get fined for collecting rain water, almost all of the suburban communities in this country have laws pertaining to what you can and can't do to the house that you've purchased. Some areas in this country have curfew laws. FREE was always an illusion.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is great news.

Ill take workers rights over corporate deregulation anyday.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

This is economic freedom. This type of study is conducted to trick people into equating "lack of corporate regulation" with "freedom".

The more free corporations are the less free the people are. You can keep that kind of freedom.

So then you agree with this study? There is no trick here. They are clearly stating it's about economic freedom and not about freedom of any other kind. I do equate lack of corporate regulation with economic freedom. But it goes deeper than that. It's not just the companies regulations this concerns, but the companies forcing government to make and uphold laws on the companies behalf through gifts and lobbying.

How can a people be truly free when corporate interest dictates government policy that effects us all. This is where all our really big problems making us less free in every respect comes from.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

don't forget "public" lands ie. every square inch of land that does not have a deed holder confiscated by the u.s. government.

meaning you have no place to go and live without technically breaking a law.

and the only reason there are people living off the grid is because of lack of enforcement.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I'm seriously having a hard time with the phrase 'economic freedom', it is just two opposites associated.

Just like Jacque Fresco said: In a truly free society, no one has to tell you you're free!!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
The article talks about economic freedom. With Hong Kong being #1, you can go right ahead and believe a communist country is the freest country in the world. Economically they are, but that's about it.

Errrm..Hong Kong is NOT a communist country, by any stretch. It is a special administrative region with a democratic government (at least at local level), rule of law, absolute freedom of speech, absolute full rights to protest, freedom to come and go across borders unmolested and with utmost efficiency, strict workers rights, free or minimal cost healthcare, compulsory employer-paid retirement benefits scheme, social welfare for those in need, utmost efficiency in establishing and/or conducting business free of government meddling and red tape as long as you obey the law (based on the British crown system), and an independent judicial process that guarantees an individual's right to be free of tyranny, corruption or overzealous government or corporate decisions.

I agree wholeheartedly with the findings.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

Apparently you are not alone in being confused on this.

From Wikipedia-

Under the principle of "one country, two systems", Hong Kong has a different political system from mainland China.[19] Hong Kong's independent judiciary functions under the common law framework.[20][21] Hong Kong Basic Law, its constitutional document, which stipulates that Hong Kong shall have a "high degree of autonomy" in all matters except foreign relations and military defence, governs its political system

Editted- oops, looks like someone got there before me!

edit on 28-10-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

ha ha ha,free? yes they teach and inject the americans that allready when they are kids but america is full of rules and laws like germany,when you make on step out the house you get allready a phobia in such countrys.
i have all my papers? my light of the car is ok? seatbealt on?enaf profil on my wheels?im not look black today like obama? i was by the haircutter?shape my face? not fogot my immigration id? my bankbook is full and in my pocket? enaf cash for the police officer avalible? calling card of the attorney is in my jacket? cell is in the car and full loadet? the tank is full with gasoline?First aid box is in the car?mmmhhh...ok i can step mabye out the house,oh no i forgot my gun !!

edit on 28-10-2012 by loooping8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
i mean, i've always found humorous, forced jury duty, where if you refuse you can literally be jailed & fined. ( ha ha right? )

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Dont forget about the warrantless spying, "sneak and peek" searches, "stop and frisk", indefinite detentions, "free speech zones", suspension of habeas corpus, torture, no fly lists and citizen assassinations.

In the US, youre guilty until proven lucky.

Land of the stupid, home of the slave.
edit on 28-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by steve704

How about if you dont pay mother effing income tax!!!???

Imagine that someone doesnt want to give their hard earned money to a government which spends a trillion dollars a year on foreign wars or wastes it on one failed program after another.

Theyll seize your accounts, take your assets, garnish your wages and if all else fails, imprison you.

For not paying income tax!!!

Its NO coincidence that the Federal Reserve and the IRS were created in the same year. In 1913, we became debt slaves.
edit on 28-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
America....

The more money you have the more freedom you are able to enjoy.

as someone that has been obscenely wealthy and homeless in my life time....

I can from experience tell you that having money makes all the difference in world as to whether you have access to AMERICA.

Poor Americans are second class citizens.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
With the patriot act and ndaa section 1031, I don't see how we can even be considered "mostly free". We have only the illusion of freedom right now.

Its about free economy, not personal freedom. The 2 arent necessarrily the same and a free economy isnt necessarrily good or sustainable. Imagine if nobody would step in, to prevent monopolies and oligarchies and in the end only one company would own everything produce everything and employ everybody. A condensation of what we have now if you will, where the 1% shrinks to the 0,1% .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join