It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are The Chances?!? Hurricane 'Sandy' Drill From 1997

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Excuse me, I wasn't specific enough.

Hurricane's form due to the coriolis effect just north of the equator.

Here is a section to a list which shows all the hurricanes which have hit New York since 2000:

Link

Check out this image which shows what I'm talking about with the same damned path on nearly all the hurricanes hitting New York:

So it seems that you're the one who knows little about hurricanes.

edit on 27-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
Perhaps, but I'm not sure THIS is a coincidence. Apparently almost a month ago someone made a post on reddit claiming they had insider (military) information about a coming possibly DISASTROUS storm, predicted for this exact timeframe. This looks like it could be legit intel:

About 2 weeks ago my mom called me to see if I had a bug out plan, which is interesting because we have never talked about anything like this. We have discussed politics, religion and various other issues, but nothing along the lines of "What do we do if the # hits the fan?" Her reasoning behind this is that her best friend of 37 years called her and said that her daughter and son-in-law were called into a private meeting on base regarding a probable evacuation scenario of the East Coast. (Son-in-law is in the Special Forces, apparently high up. I think the base was Ft. McPhearson in Georgia). From what she said, the daughter and SIL where brought in and made to sign a non-disclosure agreement saying they would tell no one, under the penalty of treason, what they were told during the meeting. They were told that in 4-6 weeks (this was around 9/20) the East Coast would experience some type of disaster that would cause it to be under water. They were also told to make a go bag and be prepared to leave at a moments notice. That is about all I have. This does come from someone I trust, and someone who trusts her daughter and son-in-law. I don't see any reason for them to make it up or freak out over a routine or drill. From what my moms friend says the military does not do these types of drills without warning everyone that it is just a drill. She has been married to a military man for 20 years.

Source: www.reddit.com...

Take note that this post is 22 days old.

EXTREMELY interesting.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Great thread!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Eh.

I don't buy it, but...

Might make a good science fiction show. Maybe the military acquires a technology to see into the future. And they see a hurricane or a disaster. So they try to prepare for it.

Brings into question all sorts of things like causality and time paradoxes. I mean, if we can see our future then how can we change it? Maybe we can't. Maybe our future takes into account all of our efforts to try to change it. Who knows? Until we can see our future in this manner...

But this conspiracy is to believed, they knew about this 13+ years ago.

Easier to believe that it's another tropical/sub/extra storm. 18-19 tropicals so far this year. Coincidences happen. It's a much greater stretch of reason to think it's a conspiracy.
edit on 27-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Wait... You're saying they drilled years ago on one that didn't just follow roughly the same track but was NAMED the same too???

I don't know about deliberate. Hurricanes are one heck of a thing to imagine mankind having the power to do anything with...especially, do it right and not create a superstorm by pure accident or something. However, this is ...hard to swallow!

Different names..I could see. Anyone can pull up storm track maps for the Western Pacific, Pacific as a whole and Atlantic and see they track right over each other..sometimes precisely...over years. Sure sure..

You're saying ..the same NAME as WELL as the same general tack and land point? (cue twilight zone) I honestly don't know what to think of that. SO much happening right now and all simultaneously too. The last 18 months of compressed timelines on events just compressed another two-fold, I swear!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

yeah, you keep thinking it ... that'll get ya far.

and honestly, no, it's not the coriolis effect that causes hurricanes.
it can effect their path, their speed and their growth but it does not participate in the "creation" of them.
Atlantic canes originate in the Sahara desert, which is not on or near the equator ... doubt it ?

read this ... weather.about.com...
even the southern most part of the desert is still roughly 1000km north of the equator.

so, there's been a whole 3 canes to landfall near NY since 2000 ... and which of those are you comparing to Sandy's path ??
Isabel, Frances or Irene ?? the other two were TS (tropical storms)

look, if you want to discuss details, let's do it.
if you want to spout nonsense, find another playmate.
but, don't expect to receive the respect you fail to deliver.

and, your map with pretty colored dots doesn't reflect Sandy's path one iota.
not only is not identified, but none of the tracks run south of Haiti ... Sandy did.

ETA: oops forgot the original path fictional "Sandy" was patterned after ... here ya go

it didn't travel as far south or west as this current Sandy has ... we'll see where it goes from here.
current info ... www.baynews9.com...
Sandy made landfall over Cuba and Jamaica before moving to the Bahamas

and another link you may find useful ... www.nhc.noaa.gov...
edit on 28-10-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

So someone "predicted" that there would be a flood on the East coast of the USA in the middle of Hurricane season?

I predict there will be a big bushfire in Australia in January-February next year...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

In your first post here you were disrespectful to me. I don't see any disrespect shown to you. I countered your points, and let you know that you were the one who seemed to be without much knowledge of hurricanes after you had already made the accusation of me.

I get your point about Hurricanes first rooting from the Sahara desert, but see that this but sets the conditions in which they may form. Am I mistaken to think that hurricane force winds do not occur on African land before they reach the ocean

From your link provided:

A column of hot air swirls upward three miles and spreads as it races to the west coast where it dips toward the ocean. The air picks up moisture from the warm waters and continues its race westward. The flow of the ocean and the spin of the earth combined with the dry winds of the desert and the warm moist air off the Atlantic horse latitudes make this desert child grow. It spins and flies over the water, sometimes it spends its life out over the open ocean, never reaching landfall. Hurricane Formation Videos

You say this happens ~1,000km from the equator. Do you realize how long the earth is
We have 90 degrees north and south of the equator. The fully formed Hurricane originates between 5 and 20 degrees north of the equator, which means it's always below the tropic of cancer. I said, and reasonably so, that it forms near the equator. It IS a result of the Coriolis effect. Without it, they would not exist, nor would cyclones. Their very name denotes the direction of spin. This IS a direct result of the Coriolis effect in conjunction with it's geographical relation to the equator. North, hurricane. South, cyclone. None of this is "nonsense". Sorry.

Look, it is entirely subjective how one would compare a path of a hurricane to another, and determine if it was the same or not, if they are similar. The path of these hurricanes along the east coast take the same general route for the vast majority. I'm going to call you out now, since you've been a jerk, and say that there have been numerous hurricanes to have hit New York that took the same general path since 1938. You were incorrect. If you fail to admit this, I will realize that I'm dealing with someone who is personality disordered. I choose to link the ones since 2000 to emphasize just how incorrect you were.

It's as if you have a chip on your shoulders, or a bone to pick with me specifically. You are borderline trolling, demanding respect, yet offering none to me from your first post directed at me! So I'm done here. You can find someone else to trip out on. All I've done is try to bring clarity here, and you've split hairs for no apparent reason.
edit on 28-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by Ghost375

Well there's about 270 different names used for Hurricanes.....
so 1 in 270
yeah, in about 10yrs time ... 270 ? hahahahahahahaha

there are nearly 15 named storms per year for decades --> all of which have a name of their own which is retired once assigned.

there are plenty of names to choose from so it is most ironic that the Drill name and this particular storm name are identical.
(not close, not an abbreviation, not slang, not even an "i" vs "y")

yes, i would agree that all of the similarities are beyond coincidence.

They have six lists of 21 names they rotate through. One a year. Half are male, half are female. Before th 50s they were all feamale. The names are always the same and only retired if a store causes substantial damage. A total of 76 have been retired. So simple math tells us that only 202 names have been used ever. So the odds are not bad at all.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

reply to post by Signals

wonder no more ... it's all part of the plan.
suspended elections have been anticipated for 3 or more years ... i guess we'll see soon enough.
even if the elections complete, there is no guarantee the state of affairs will remain tangible until the next inauguration ... much can happen in 60 days.

There was a lot of talk about suspended elections back in 2004 when bush was running for his second term too. I don't remember the circumstances around it, but remember having discussions about it on AOL.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Sorry folks, but there's no conspiracy, just a coincidence in the name, which isn't all that amazing.

The reason they do drills is because the possibility exists and is likely to happen in the near future, otherwise, why have a drill for it??

It's not something "out of the realm of possibility" at all, it's a storm following a path that would be likely to happen, so likely, that it's happening right now. The name is a coincidence, the rest is probability.

Creepy yes, conspiracy, no.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
It is routine to run exercises off of previous events, since the information is already there. Most pandemic flu exercises ran by the government are based on the 1918 spanish flu, since that was the worst.

Another thing to note is while hurricane paths are not entirely predictable in an extended forecast (out to 4-5 days), they are extremely predictable as weather systems begin to interact and the storm gets closer to land. With that, looking at historical data is pertinent and prudent.

I am with you, there is no conspiracy here. Just prudent planning and practice using available data.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
man, it's like people will do anything to avoid the realization that the atmosphere just has more energy and moisture in it from global warming, thus bigger storms

maybe, but too others it seems will do anything to avoid contemplating the 'unkown variable', that is that mankind now has the ability to introduce potentially huge amounts of energy from such things as ionospheric heaters/ EM weapons/radar systems etc., into the earth and atmosphere with unkown results. With the newer 'steath technology' I think most *everything* has to be at least questioned and little taken at face value.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

man, it's like people will do anything to avoid the realization that the atmosphere just has more energy and moisture in it from global warming, thus bigger storms

your information is seriously outdated!
perhaps you should spend your time online resarching current and relevant factual websites.
in other words, don't 'deny ignorance' with more ignorance

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Signals

wonder no more ... it's all part of the plan.
suspended elections have been anticipated for 3 or more years ... i guess we'll see soon enough.
even if the elections complete, there is no guarantee the state of affairs will remain tangible until the next inauguration ... much can happen in 60 days.

And who is going to suspend elections? The Federal government doesn't have control over elections, those are State controlled. So maybe some states postpone them but I would find that extremely unlikeable and it would only relate to Congressional and local government elections. The selection of electors can be postponed safely due to the fact that electors meet later to cast their ballots for the presidency.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
[

They have six lists of 21 names they rotate through. One a year. Half are male, half are female. Before th 50s they were all feamale. The names are always the same and only retired if a store causes substantial damage. A total of 76 have been retired. So simple math tells us that only 202 names have been used ever. So the odds are not bad at all.

So let's see 1 out of 202 - the odds are 99.5% of not being named Sandy and .5% being named Sandy. Combine this with the drill on 9/11 of a plane hitting the world trade center, the weather channel's special on a hurricane Katrina, and many other "drills" that happened right before a disasters. There was a whole tread on drills that turned out to be true.

What's so hard to believe that the military or other people in power, have ways to predict/cause disasters? You think they would share it? Is it more logical to believe all these drills were just coincidences or more logical to believe they have secret tech they won't share?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Statistics are only as good as the people shaping the context in an attempt to give them meaning.

You are choosing to push an agenda of proving a conspiracy by mentioning other events which had 'coincidences' surrounding them.

You are also choosing to disregard the incalculable amount of events which have passed that have not been shown to have such 'coincidences'.

From the near infinite possible variables of the totality of major events which have happened in the world in recent times, one could shape the context with statistics and attempt to prove that: the sky is falling, TPTB mean to depopulate, we're entering a golden age, the worst has already passed, or we're about to all be harvested by intergalactic space creatures because we have some rare precious nutritional composition which is a cosmic delicacy of sorts.

Just picking a few points of reference, and trying to claim odds to world events, is nonsense, in my mind. You can choose to try and fool other people. I don't buy it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by klhbrown

Originally posted by iwilliam
Perhaps, but I'm not sure THIS is a coincidence. Apparently almost a month ago someone made a post on reddit claiming they had insider (military) information about a coming possibly DISASTROUS storm, predicted for this exact timeframe. This looks like it could be legit intel:

About 2 weeks ago my mom called me to see if I had a bug out plan, which is interesting because we have never talked about anything like this. We have discussed politics, religion and various other issues, but nothing along the lines of "What do we do if the # hits the fan?" Her reasoning behind this is that her best friend of 37 years called her and said that her daughter and son-in-law were called into a private meeting on base regarding a probable evacuation scenario of the East Coast. (Son-in-law is in the Special Forces, apparently high up. I think the base was Ft. McPhearson in Georgia). From what she said, the daughter and SIL where brought in and made to sign a non-disclosure agreement saying they would tell no one, under the penalty of treason, what they were told during the meeting. They were told that in 4-6 weeks (this was around 9/20) the East Coast would experience some type of disaster that would cause it to be under water. They were also told to make a go bag and be prepared to leave at a moments notice. That is about all I have. This does come from someone I trust, and someone who trusts her daughter and son-in-law. I don't see any reason for them to make it up or freak out over a routine or drill. From what my moms friend says the military does not do these types of drills without warning everyone that it is just a drill. She has been married to a military man for 20 years.

Source: www.reddit.com...

Take note that this post is 22 days old.

EXTREMELY interesting.

Yes, this *is* extremely interesting, not saying it means anything, but I heard the exact same thing echoed on George Ure's urbansurvival.com economic/political analysis website, just a week or so ago, before any mention of this storm, where a reader sent in the same tip, that someone in the military also informed their significant others/friends not to travel during this time period right before elections, because of the risk of being stranded and unable to get home.

Leaks happen, whistleblowers that care about their fellow man will still often find a way to blow the whistle, even though the best attempts by actors will attempt to keep things in the dark. Again, 'coincidences' happen no doubt, but so do crimes and often though the public can imagine the most brutal crimes against neighbors on a small scale happening, many have such a hard to impossible time imagining the most rich and powerful actors with virtually unlimited means and opportunity pulling of such things. Let's just see how it plays out. I happen to think "Wag the Dog' type scenarios play out much more frequesntly than the average Joe on the street imagines, but that's just my take based on my personal observations, other's may be more comfortable simply believing and supporting at all cost the status quo and whatever the 'guy in thr white coat' tells them is 'truth'.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JeZeus
I honestly think its more of a conspiracy to dumb people down , they`re making sure you cant remember anything youve seen before.

They do it all the time with the MSM , they`ve reported the same things a few times and it seems to go un noticed.

We can't get any more dumb and blind.

I'm dumb and blind, so I'll ask you, seeing as no one else has. What things have they reported a few times? Examples and links please.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Right! and the eeerie coincidence that it is also named Sandy, like the current storm. But overlook the fact that the person who created the exercise was named Sandy.

So when my exercise developer creates a hurricane exercise, and calls it Dan, and Dan shows up next year, I willl accuse him of mass conspiracy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join