It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween and Terrorism... are you concerned ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Not at all worried here.....I don't "think" we'll have another attack, I think they would of already done it....of course that's a big "I think", but that's how I feel about it.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'm more scared of the kids in my neighborhood than terrorists

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself, and government.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
No, I'm always fairly vigilant anyhow... I'm not worried...

I sure worried others last year though, with my costume (went as an Arab terrorist :lol
. At least you know I'm no coward, hehe...

It sure made getting to work easy, people were more than happy to get out of my way, hehe...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Why would Halloween provide a better opportunity for attack than a relatively unprotected Day Care Center, Elementary, or High School? Sure, you could kidnap some kids on Halloween, but if you want mass casualties, you need all the kids in one location, not scattered across every suburban neighborhood in America.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
No terrorist attack on Halloween.

The kids and parents will be out running around, not
grouped together in one place that can be blown up
or something.

The attacks that will happen are the usual - bullies
beating up kids and stealing candy, sickos with razors
in apples or poison in the pixie stix ....

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
No eggs being thrown about tho' so I guess it'll just be discarded house bricks, auto parts, fireworks and street furniture furniture just like last year ...

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Supermarket giant **** has banned teenagers from buying eggs, traditionally used as "trick or treat" missiles, in the run-up to Halloween.

The store says it has warned staff to be extra vigilant in spotting youths buying eggs.

It says the decision was taken following reports of egg-related vandalism last Halloween. 2

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Many urban areas have Halloween indoors in large malls. If you have 3000 people with children and add the 500 or so employes of a medium sized mall, and you have a high casualty count. Strike 10, 5 or even one iste across the US and we have pandemonium. I am not worried though about myself or my son. When your time comes, it comes. do not live in fear, but with vigilance.

note- i still believe that they are going to strike Wal-marts(orTargets) or high school foot ball games.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Would be kind of a downgrade wouldn't it? For me the most suspect target would be any stadium type event (except baseball, too empty of seats, hehe..)

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Less security. Try to bring a camera or a purse into some professional sports games. Raymond James is very tight. HIgh school football in a major city, couple thousand in each area. This would disrupt the educational system with fear. If you have a child (mine just started K) you do not fear a chechnya type event, but if one happened in the states, you would think differently about yourchilds safety.

HIt Wal-Mart and you take strike hard at commerce and the average Joe. 4 out of 5 people shop at a Wal-Mart for something. Disruption of everyday life along with mass casualties would take the "At least I won't fly I am safe" mentality and throw it out the window. We should have learned from OK city how it can, and will again most likely, occur.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
In the UK Halloween isn't a big deal and doesn't have that many participants, certainly not in a trick or treat sense anyway.

I used to live near a USA airbase here and therefore my best friends were American. I used to go trick or treating on the base and it was GREAT fun.

With the popularity of it in the States and with all those folks in the streets I would have thought it was one of the safest times to be out and about.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
YES I'M WORRIED ABOUT TERRORISM BETWEEN NOW AND THE ELECTION....I'M NOT LOSING SLEEP ABOUT IT, BUT I WON'T BE THE LEAST BIT SUPRISED IF IT DOES OCCUR. I'VE SEEN ENOUGH INSTANCES OF OUR URBAN YOUTH GANGS TERRORIZING LOCAL MALLS, PARKS AND PUBLIC GATHERINGS OVER PAST HALLOWEENS THAT I KNOW HOW EASY IT IS FOR TEENS TO PULL IT OFF. SURELY DEDICATED TERRORISTS COULD.
THEY PROMISED IT PRIOR TO THE SPANISH ELECTIONS AND THEN THEY DID IT. THEY PROMISED IT ELSEWHERE AND THEN DID IT. SURELY WE'RE NOT SO EGO-CENTRIC AS TO BELIEVE WE ARE TERRORIST PROOF WHEN THEY PROMISE US THAT THEY ARE GOING TO ATTACK US AGAIN!
I'M NOT HIDING UNDER MY BED. I DON'T DO THAT WHEN A SPECIFIC CRIMINAL THREATENS TO KILL ME IN PERSON, BEFORE OR AFTER I ARREST HIM. I'M NOT GOING TO ALLOW ANYONE THAT MUCH CONTROL OVER MY LIFE, ESPECIALLY NOT BIN LADEN. BUT AS I GO OUT TONIGHT AND TOMORROW IN MY PIRATE COSTUME (W/ MY WIFE AND FRIENDS) I WILL BE THE BEST ARMED PIRATE ON AMERICAN SOIL SINCE BLACKBEARD. THERE'S A 99.99+% CHANCE I WON'T NEED ANY OF IT, BUT IT'S BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT. AS A WISE MAN SAYS, THE FIRST RULE OF A GUN FIGHT IS- BRING A GUN.
BESIDES, HERE IN HOUSTON, IF I WAS A TERRORIST, I'D ATTACK THE EAST SIDE CHEMICAL PLANTS WHILE THE WIND WAS BLOWING TO THE WEST. THAT WOULD HAVE LONGERLASTING EFFECTS AND POTENTIALLY BE MORE EFFECTIVE THAN SOME CLOWN WITH AN AK-47 SHOOTING INTO A CROWD.
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM! SEMPER FI, Y'ALL!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
TXCOP - little overkill with the capslock.

Halloween would be an obvious target date for terrorist but i know that nothing will happen, its just a fun holiday and some people here need to calm down. Look at the bright side, Osama masks are selling like crazy.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Given the state of security and preparedness, I don't think that they can actually "time" an attack for a certain event. I think they will strike at targets of opportunity, but trying to predict them based on holidays or solar flares or numerology is an exercise in futility.

And it's dangerous. It presumes that we can heighten our security for certain events that the terrorists may not even KNOW about (different cultures, folks) and ignore security the rest of the time.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Whoa! Ease up on them caps, TEX!!!

Halloween passed, and no terror. Resume normal worrying.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Did I say Halloween, I meant election day, yeah, that right, thats the ticket, and then it will be Thanksgiving, yeah, thats it , that's what it will be, a pane... a boat..a.a.a. .a a dirty/boat/bomb/plane, yeah, that's irght, thats the ticket.....Stay vigilant

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I went trick or treating last night, and I did see terrorists!

two kids, one with a saddam mask, and one with a bin Laden mask. And i thought, how cute! bet that will scare some paranoid soccer mom!

I am no more worried about terrorism any given day of the year, and gave it not a fiorst nor second thought on my most favorite of holidays!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Given the state of security and preparedness, I don't think that they can actually "time" an attack for a certain event. I think they will strike at targets of opportunity, but trying to predict them based on holidays or solar flares or numerology is an exercise in futility.

And it's dangerous. It presumes that we can heighten our security for certain events that the terrorists may not even KNOW about (different cultures, folks) and ignore security the rest of the time.

It's nice to finally find someone who also believes that operational success is the primary motivator behind the timing of an attack.

Beyond that, I have always thought that our 'high profile' targets are simply not. Why try to hit the World Series or the RNC or DNC when security is so high? Might as well go after something with a lot of folks and limited security like a college graduation or Texas high school football game. Unless you're highly connected to the security apparatus at one of the 'high profile' events, you're not going to have any luck there. Even if you are connected, you might not want to hit an event associated with your connection or you'll give it away and never be able to use it again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join