It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is what Sandy looks like.

page: 1

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

She looks mean because she IS mean.

Let me tell you, I live in the Dominican Republic, and this what the storm looked like from my neighborhood which is very close to the sea. Rain for DAYS non-stop. Never seen so many cars floating around the streets. I can't stress enough how vicious this is and I shiver to think what it can become. I have lived through several of the nastiest hurricanes to have ever hit the Caribbean and they have been powerful yet very quick, gone within a day. But not this one, this one was SUPER SLOW and it just would not stop raining. It took 3 days and finally left, though we are still having some wind action.

I urge everyone in its path to get prepared, not because of some apocalyptic gale, but certainly for the most amount rain you will experience in a long time. Find a good parking spot if you don't want to ruin your car, make sure your pets are safe (we're still finding dead puppies and kitties all around the city covered in mud) and prep for a week or two and organize yourselves in advance.

Peace out.
edit on 27-10-2012 by lupodigubbio because: typos

edit on 27-10-2012 by lupodigubbio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I don't live in the areas that will be affected (Southern Illinoiis) but this is a GOOD preparation thread. I hope everyone will take action before it's too late. Sounds like it's going to be brutal.

Just hope no one starts spouting 2012 about it, heh.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Okay .... I need more!

What are we looking at? Is that simply "a" wall of rain coming across as part of the overall storm or is that a main feature of the storm itself?

NICE pic by the way. I'd love to be in the right spot for shots like that....of course, the damage the subject of the picture brings with it tempers the excitement.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Do you think it by the chance will hit Hamilton, Ontario?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Did you take that pic? Cool pic!

I am glad you made it through ok.

People are deceived by the Cat numbers. Poeple forget that katrina was a 2/3 by the time it got to shore, not a 5.

The cat scales only go by windspeed, not any other capabilities.

Some of the most damaging storms in my state were barely organized TS. Cat 3-5 can be fast, and zip by. But a slow, lumbering storm will wreak havok. I would rather have a fast cat4 then a slow TS.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Okay .... I need more!

What are we looking at? Is that simply "a" wall of rain coming across as part of the overall storm or is that a main feature of the storm itself?

NICE pic by the way. I'd love to be in the right spot for shots like that....of course, the damage the subject of the picture brings with it tempers the excitement.

hahah, well I can tell you it was like a huge wall of violent rain tha mostly looked like that, i really had to strain from my balcony to see the neighbors home. It had its moments of relative calm, but even those were kind of rough. I'll try to post more pics that my friends took.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I live in Southern Illinois also. Not sure if you were around here several years ago, but we had an "inland hurricane". I believe it was 120 MPH winds for 22 minutes. A heck of a lot of destruction in the Marion area. Unfortunately, being a long distance from the Oceans do not always keep us safe...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I live in Pittsburgh. How worried should I be??

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Hurricanes are huge water-moving machines. They weigh over 100 billion pounds.
Judging from the amount of water Sandy is dumping, this one probably weighs twice as much.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lupodigubbio
[...]make sure your pets are safe (we're still finding dead puppies and kitties all around the city covered in mud) [...]

Oh man I hate hearing about animals like that.

But it should be said because everyone/thing should be remembered,especially when it comes to major storms. People, please remember your pets (especially those that live outside), and check on your neighbors (especially if they are elderly or live by themselves).

Glad you made it through ok. I hope the same for everyone that is about to experience it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

edit on 28-10-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

I heard we are lucking out somewhat. Hope so.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I live in southeast MA, have been worried about this storm, especially because I work at a food distributer, and we have NEVER closed for any storm, even Irene we had to go to work. The main thing I'm worried about with Sandy is that I don't know of anyone around me preparing for it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

I remember going out on a south pacific island after a typhoon roared through. I didn't think it was all that bad of a storm but there were dead cats everywhere. It's like when you go out and see dead worms after a rain. It was horrible. I'm an incurable animal lover. I've taken care of stray cat colonies before. I never saw anything like this in America so far and I'm terrified this time I will. I don't know if my nerves could take it and I don't know how to prepare my kid for such a sight. I pray it doesn't happen.

I don't know why there were so many dead cats but not any other kinds of animals. I don't know what made the cats more vulnerable. I just hope everyone who has outdoor cats brings them in for the storm. I got a dog and I don't rightly know how we are going to deal with her if the storm lingers a whole day or more. She is too big to use the cat litter boxes. We might have to put piddle pads in the garage but she is so stubborn and neurotic about having to go deep into the woods in tall bushes that she might not cooperate. I'm dreading losing power for my fishtanks too. There's things I can do to mitigate the problems but it's hard work.

We haven't even fixed all the property damage from the derecho yet. I still got holes in the ceiling from having a hole torn in the roof. I got damage to the house from the earthquake too.. I been in MD all my life and never had to worry about storm damage and quakes and now I'm going broke from this crap. Go figure.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

files.abovetopsecret.com...
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

800 miles wide and its going to join up with a storm coming from north america
to make a super storm.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It bothers me thinking about the fact that people abandon and leave their pets behind. I couldn't even imagine having to do that with my kitties.

However, those pictures are great, and man she looks like a mean witch. I'm glad my partner and I stocked up when we did, though that comes with the military territory methinks.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
That's monstrous....

It's coming over land and bringing the whole ocean with it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
First photo.....
By the Gods.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

I live in Pittsburgh as well, I don't think we need to be too worried. Can't be any worse than when Ivan came through a few years ago.

top topics

join