It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk soup.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I was just talking about this kind of soap last night with a friend.
It looks very easy to make and I have to try this.
What sandwich goes with this?

My favorite soup is leek and potato.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Grilled Swiss cheese. Mmmmm

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

We actually do a killer broccoli soup at home (and by 'we', I mean my wife) and the accompanying sandwich is a bacon ben. That is, fried bacon with benedictine spread, sprouts, tomato (optional - yecch) and shredded cheddar, build on whole wheat and grilled until toasty.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

What sandwich goes with leek and potato soup??

For broccoli soup grilled cheese makes sense I will admit.
edit on 1-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

That sandwich sounds amazing!!
I never put tomatoes on sandwiches,it makes the bread soggy.
I have never even heard of Benedictine sauce before but I am going to try it out.

Also when you say the wife,do you mean you and the boys down in Langley,Virginia??

edit on 1-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I should probably let you Canadians have at it, but I just can't stop myself.

What goes with potatoes and leeks (onions, basically)? A nice cold rare roast beef sandwich on a hard roll with some horseradish sauce (I like Woeber's).

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

If by "Langley" you mean Indianapolis, and if by "the boys" you mean my wife of 25 years, then yes.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I can make a split pea with bacon & ham soup that would blow all your minds away. I made it on thanksgiving again recently. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know. You will be eating this the rest of your life. I also have a great lima bean with bacon and ham as well. ~$heopleNation

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Oh I love soup!!

Soup is pretty easy to make I agree esp if you can make basic meals.

I love these soups:

French Onion
Chicken Noodle
Carrot Dill
Minestrone
Potato Bacon
Chicken & Wild Rice w/ Mushrooms
Pasta Fagioli
Any soup that has pasta in it or rice
Any soup that has veggies

I will eat pretty much any soup as long as beans aren't the main ingredient. If they are in it like Pasta Fagioli then I'll eat them.

IF i have soup I always want a grilled cheese with it.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
If anyone wants the recipe, let me know. You will be eating this the rest of your life.

I've actually been looking for a good split pea soup recipe, so I'd love it if you'd share.

In the last two weeks, my wife's made a killer tortilla soup and and awesome potato one. She got a new immersion blender about a month ago and benefits are being reaped. Nothing better than a big bowl of hot homemade soup in the winter.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

yeahright, Thank you for asking, It would be my pleasure my friend.

So here it is, but wait however, I have to say that I get weird about cooking my soup. Meaning, that there is a quick way to making this soup, and then there is the right way if one has the time on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, know what I mean? You can also crock it, but it takes a very long time in a crock- pot.

The key to this soup is cooking the beans (split pea's) and veggies down until they fall a part. When this soup is done right, it ends up in a condensed version, so you can add water as you go throughout the week. If you like stew, no need to add any water whatsoever. Just make sure to get some fresh bread with butter cause it finishes this Soup like a charm.

Just in case, You would want to crock it for 8 hours atleast! On low for about 5 hours, and then turn it on high the last 3.
Anyway..................

1 pound of split peas

1 flat steak package of cooked ham. (you can use about 3/4 of any lunch meat ham if you can't find those flat steak hams)

1/2 a package of cooked (by you) bacon. Then chopped up real small. ( 1 or 2 tablespoons of bacon grease left over as well. which is optional, unless you're not concerned about bacon. We use uncured organic bacon, so I don't worry as much about a little bacon grease.)

1 12 ounce beer ( I use a good lager like Sapparo or heineken)

2 cans of Chicken broth

4 cups of water

very important, 3/4 of a package of chopped organic baby carrots

1 1/2 chopped maui style sweet onions, or any white or yellow onion. (Place the other half left over into the center of the pan, not chopped.)

1/2 Tablespoon of olive oil (poured into and rubbed around the bottom of the main soup pan. (to prevent burning)

1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce

1/2 of Tablespoon of rice vinegar (or whatever will do)

4 cloves of garlic

2 celery stocks or (1 tablespoon of celery seed.)

1 Tablespoon of Yellow curry powder

1 Tablespoon of Coriander

1/2 Tablespoon of Black pepper

1/2 Tablespoon of White pepper

1 seeded Jalepeno pepper (optional for those who like it spicy, even though ou really can't taste it as long as no seeds)

So, Those are the ingredients. I will follow up with the directions on how to apply them next. ~$heopleNation

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

yeahright, So start with pouring the olive oil into your main larger Soup pan, then set it on low. Rub it all around in order to prevent the soup from sticking later on (trust me). Pour the beer, water, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar in, then after they boil add the split peas after you have rinsed them (no need to pre-soak split peas). Then set to low or a regular simmer.

Then, get a smaller sauce pan and drop a little olive oil in that as well, set that on medium heat. Now, if you get weird like me, then you can follow this. Otherwise, you just add the split peas, all liquids and follow up with the veggies and already cooked meats. I pre-grill what I am gonna add to my soup, but some people during certain times can't do that, but it's still great that way as well, so no worries. Searing the veggies will provide a more richer flavor.

Back to my weirdo recipe..........

Start with pouring the can of beer and the 2 cans of chicken broth into the main large soup pan.

Then put the carrots in the seperate small sauce pan on medium for about 10 minutes. Dump them into your larger soup pan after they are browned. Then do the chopped onions and Garlic for about 10 minutes as well. Dump those into the same large soup pan after browned in the smaller just like the carrots. Then repeat the same with the celery stocks and whatever other veggies you prefer, like seeded jalepenos ect.

The point of this is to grill some of the veggies prior to adding them to the chicken beer broth. Now cook your bacon, and then chop that up and add it. Then chop up your ham, and cook that about 5 minutes in the left over bacon grease. Add the ham to the main large soup pan as well.

Then add the water, The curry, Coriander, black pepper and white pepper. Wait to salt it cause the ham and bacon salts it pretty well.

Now just simmer for about 4 hours while stirring every 1/2 hour or so. You want the peas and veggies (carrots most of all) to split a part and actually turn mushy, but not overcooked burnt mushy. Carrots make this soup as much as the meat and beans. As long as you SIMMER this soup while stirring, you will never overcook it. What you will end up with is a condensed soup that you can add water to as you eat it. Usually just a few tablespoons per bowl. If you follow this, you will love it.

Now, If I missed anything, then message me. My daughter erased my post twice tonight! LOL! I hope you enjoy it. Well, I know you will. Also, just switch the split peas for Lima beans (gotta soak them over night though) and you will have another great soup. Either one, you will have some super food soup to enjoy with your family. ~$heopleNation
edit on 8-12-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely give this a go sometime over the winter. Always love a good homemade soup and anything involving pork and beer has to be a winner.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
We make a killer chicken soup...lots of chicken, egg noodles, broth, seasonings, diced onions, carrots, celery, red and green peppers, and minced garlic..

Guaranteed to cure what ails ya...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I stole (copied
) this recipe this morning, so right away I'm going to give all credit to DestinyOne. She had posted it on a thread that ended up 404ed. I got it just on time.

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but it sounds sooooo good.
I think I'm going to try the onions carmelized, puréed, and go from there.

Potato soup....

1 pound bacon, chopped

2 stalks celery, diced

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

8 potatoes, peeled and cubed

4 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes

3 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon dried tarragon

3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro

salt and pepper to taste

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
1 pound bacon, chopped

That's a tough puppy. Precook and you lose the fatty, juicy goodness of bacon. Cook it right in and you've got that but also a pantload of cholesterol. Imo, to hell with it. You only live once.
Secondly, cooked bacon is easier to deal with. Ah, hell, make up your own mind.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I'm going to precook the bacon, and if I carmelize the onions, that'll give a bit more "smokiness" to it.
With the real butter and heavy cream, I'm thinking that'll be enough fatty goodness

There were no instructions that came with the ingredient list, but it'll be easy to throw together.
It was on the "potatoes on Mars" thread.

If I add a bunch of clams, does that make it into clam chowder? I've never made a chowder, but this soup sounds creamy enough.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Chowder is a different puppy. If you make it wrong what you've got is watery, milky soup. Sucks. It takes as much time to make a good chowder as it does to make a decent chilli. Time. It has to "stew". As to chowder I know 4 types. 2 different clam chowders. A fish chowder. And a corn chowder that you would kill for.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I think I'll stick to soup for now then, and when I start to practice for chowder, I'll start out with something cheaper than clams

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
That potato soups sounds awesome, i might try to make it. All i need is the tarragon, and cilantro. thanks

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join