It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
"Much of the currently perceived threat from international terrorism, the series argues, "is a fantasy that has been exaggerated and distorted by politicians. It is a dark illusion that has spread unquestioned through governments around the world, the security services, and the international media."

Article about program

The BBC will be starting a 3 part documentary tomorrow about how the war on terror is a political tool.

Finally! Somebody is talking about this. The week to week terror threats and convinient terrorist videos cannot be trusted! People need to wake up to the fact that only people clearly benefiting from this apparent terror threat are those gaining more power becuase of it.

Just look at the the anti-terror legislation. It is a route to get control and power over the people.

Everyone UK ATSer must watch this!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
So America shouldn't kill the terrorists for fear of a political change?

on Israel

map of attacks

Massive list of Attacks many recent

If George Bush is killing many terrorists and he rises in the polls is that his fault? Bush shouldn't not fight the War on Terror for fear of a rise in the polls which might indicate he is using the war for political gain. If the gain comes then that's not a bad thing but winning the war is what's important.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Great minds think alike.

See my thread on this also:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
So America shouldn't kill the terrorists for fear of a political change?

The point being made is that the terrorist threat has been hugely overblown. In doing this both current UK and US administrations have secured power, taken away basic civil rights and illegaly invaded a country...and people have sat back and accepted this because they are scared.

Some might say that 9/11 is total proof of the need for such drastic measures. Please do not think this. It has become clearer and clearer that the events on that tragic day were known by many intelligence groups around the world and that many warnings had come up. Let alone the fact the FBI stopped investigation into highjackers.

Anyway, if a country restricts the rights of it's citizens due to terror, then these 'terrorists' are winning this imaginary war on terror anyway.

Just look at these liars.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Earthtone, my friend, I couldn't have said it better myself. I thoroughly concur. It's nice to know there are some people who get it. Hopefully as time passes, more and more shall see through the lies.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think the point is that George Bush and his "team" have distorted the threat that terrorism poses to us, and this distortion is why his polls go up (since many Americans believe the president, and are thus terrified of terrorism). So when Bush says "We are winning the war on terror" or some other BS, his approval increases (wrongly), as terrorism isn't that big of a threat. One serious intelligence failure which leads to an attack on WTC, isn't quite justification to declare war on a war tactic. This is why the war on terror is a political tool.

-Attero

Edit: When I started this response I was going to be the 3rd post, so this point has probably already been made..

[edit on 19-10-2004 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Benjamin Franklin said it best:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Ocurs AtteroAuctorita, bush has distorted the "terrorist" every time that he wants to divert what is going on with his government and in Iraq, he uses the "terror" to get people's mind away from other issues.

yes terror is a powerful tool in the hands of a fool.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Earthtone, my friend, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thank you ECK. It's such a sad state at the moment. 9/11 has provided the neo-cons with the perfect situation to carry out their plans. They want to install their "democracy" around the world with force. This is how they trick the people to go along with them.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
By the way the program last night was excellent. It showed the history of how both Al queida and the Neo-conservatives got their ideoligies from people like Strauss. It then talked about how a false threat from Russia was trumpted up by people like Rumsfeld in the 70's. Very interesting stuff. Can't wait fro the next instalement.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Bush is the biggest terrorist

He keeps his whole country in a state of fear so he can control them better...

I for one dont buy the terrorist bull #... any real threats have emerged since he started his little war...

My dad had to fly the day after 9/11 and his company wouldnt let him because they feared the planes would get attacked... He laughed in their faces nd said

'You believe that bull#? They're just fear mongering'

I believe he was telling the truth then, and i believe it now... terrorism is like communism was in the cold war... over rated!

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Great post earthtone

Wow I wish I could see that show but I doubt it will ever air here in the great united states, bastion of freedom

Fear is something the powers that be have used since day one to control the masses and to divert attention away from their real agender.
The gov was encouaged in the 50's when the media discovered the more scary it made it's news reporting the more people would watch.
Instill fear into the population and then convince that population that the gov with it's police and miltary is the only entity that can protect that population.
For yrs we were told the Russians are comming, now it's the terrorists.
What happens when they ware that story out, convince us the martians are gonna attack us.
Our gov has the population scared of it's own shadow.
Think how much profit is made from fear, just from weopon sales, home security, insurance, blah blah blah.
Fear is the easiest of human emotions to manipulate and exploit.
A population in a state of fear will except almost any amount of oppression from their gov if it is convinced that it will protect them.
When has the US ever been without some kind of imaginary enemy ready to come kill us in our sleep any day now. Foreign and domestic.
It is a great deception, the only thing we need to fear is fear itself.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Great post earthtone

the only thing we need to fear is fear itself.

Thank you, and well said with that. As I said in this thread in a previous post, allowing a nation to live in fear is acceptance that the terrorists have won! Bush is doing their work for them.

As you said, American governments have always created a demon for the nation to fear. The mexicans and their "loco weed", communism, the Russians, and now the war on (for) terror.

I don't know what will jump start the American and British people into seeing this for what it is.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I watched the program last night. I was suprised about how much information was in there and that a program could be so direct with its approach. I am glad it is showing and hope more people get to see it. The Strauss theory is so clear to see in todays events, and the Qubt in the muslim events.

Earthtone, yeah hearing Rumsfeld back in 1972 mouthing off about russian weapons that never exsisted was scarey. He sounds EXACTLY the same today. I hope some how Americans get to see this program via uploads or something, everyone in the world needs to see it. Also how the Neo cons preached their way into power by washing the masses with church nonsense, and how America are gods chosen people who defend freedom around the world. (every mad dictator uses that line BTW) Hitler did!

I hope the program shows the document ' The plan for a new American Century'. That has Cheney, wolfawitz and Rumsfelts blessing.

Again all U.K ATS users/readers watch this next week. BBC2, 9pm Wednesday.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by 7th_Chakra]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Wow I wish I could see that show but I doubt it will ever air here in the great united states, bastion of freedom....

I suggest everyone in the US who would like to see this program visit www.bbcamerica.com... and request that BBC America add it to their programming.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a truly great program, all americans should see it, it may cause a revolution

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Fisrtly i had tried to alert people to this show on the BBC...
but oh well no one ever listens to me

Next: verfed
Please alert people to the fact that you are inking them to the ADL!
Did you know the biggest terror attack against britain was not by the Irish but by.. the... well there was no Israel then... it was the king david hotel.. so boohooo to Israel suffering from attacks like that...

About using fear... the US has used false pretenses for all the wars i can think of....

Sinking of lucitania WW1

Pearl Harbour WW2

The commies are coming.. every war between 1945 and 1980 usually complete CIA fabrications. Viet-Nam... Nicaragua... etc.

Now its terror, oh and them invisible WMDs...
Need we go on..

The frear of death is the beginning of slavery! (or religion)

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It was a superb start to the series, insightful and shocking at times, uneasy yet compelling viewing. I've always been suspicious of an oligarchy led by corporate powers, but it seems that the people running the political show are just as bad, if not worse.
After watching the programme, I decided to google Leo Strauss' name, and found some interesting articles. The top link being a biography of the man.
There's also a link here to a profile of Strauss, taking a similar, if more direct stance to Adam Curtis in his programme. Here's quite a damning quote from the article:

The hallmark of Strauss' approach to philosophy was his hatred of the modern world, his belief in a totalitarian system, run by "philosophers," who rejected all universal principles of natural law, but saw their mission as absolute rulers, who lied and deceived a foolish "populist" mass, and used both religion and politics as a means of disseminating myths that kept the general population in clueless servitude. For Strauss and all of his prot�g�s (Strauss personally had 100 Ph.D. students, and the "Straussians" now dominate most university political science and philosophy departments), the greatest object of hatred was the United States itself, which they viewed as nothing better than a weak, pathetic replay of "liberal democratic" Weimar Germany.

It's quite frightening when you consider how many 'Straussians' currently hold high powered positions in the Bush administration, especially when you look around and see what's going on in the world and in America, at their hands.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
Fisrtly i had tried to alert people to this show on the BBC...
but oh well no one ever listens to me

I started a thread on this a few days back aswell, but it seemed to go unnoticed. At least here we can see that the programme didn't go that way, which is the imporant thing.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I must admit i missed it... went to be really early

Will try to tune in next wed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join