It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's The Greatest Flaw In Religion?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
robes and beards and people who say 'thine'.
if i get to heaven i dont want to have to hang out with those guys.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
robes and beards and people who say 'thine'.
if i get to heaven i dont want to have to hang out with those guys.

LOL. Yes, we should all speak Elizabethan! Truly, I wonder how all the subterfuge of religious talk transcribes to the original speak.

I would kill myself if I had to talk that way for eternity. You made such a great point that you dont even know.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

That's an easy one... it's all very old hearsay! No proof! No God speaking to large crowds of people, only a few people in private! Old stories, old and borrowed from other religions.... and also changed over time through translations.... just as the Jewish people about the Christian Old Testament... even they say there are changes but they are supposed to be the same book! Why are there contradictions in the Bible? Why haven't entire stadiums of people been approached and spoken to and had the ability to see an all powerful being? It's all Elders of various religions telling people what to do or what writings to read or how to interpret them.... but no proof, just hearsay.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I can tell you the number one biggest flaw in religion is they are told they should
question everything and at the same time that they are to believe by faith they
are right, applies to most main stream religions, my personal experience with
this is my family, my mother has said flat out that she knows evidence exists
that calls (in her case christianity) the validity of the bible into question, she
simply says she is not interested in hearing or seeing it.

This is the core of the problem, to believe without question that you are right
even when faced with facts that prove without much of a doubt at all that in
fact things are not as you say or believe, it creates fanatics because when
their meager arguments fall apart through logic the only response you can
get from almost any of them is anger.......

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
VERY good question...

The greatest flaw is the fact that religion is one massive LIE that was created as a mind control weapon.

The stealth agenda behind it is to cause people to hate God.

The definition of the word religion is to connect with God.

The fact that religion does the exact OPPOSITE of this definition is enough to make it obvious that God is not the one behind it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Religion's greatest flaw is that 3/4 of the world's population adheres to one.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
To me, the biggest flaw in religion is that in every single religion no matter who, what, where, or why, the problem to me is that another man Is the person telling me. I don't care what book or what have you its always other men telling you. The only one who really stays out all the fighting is G-d. I mean seriously it all comes down to.men arguing on how to worship G-d. The whole thing don't even stick togther with crazy clue.
They all have good teachings, but can't seem to live together.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I don't necessarily think it's religion that is flawed. I think the flaws come in the believing part.
Look at how many loopholes, interpretations, and contradictions the bible has. It's written
brilliantly so so it can be interpreted in many, many ways. I just took a look and there are 9,000 Christian denominations---all stemming from one religious book. It's a genius way to control thousands of people.
Don't believe in the trinity? There's a denomination for that!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RP2SticksOfDynamite

I have a question for any or all.

How much better would humanity and life in general be if we had never had religion or if we finally kicked away the crutches?

The answers Im sure will reflect the flaws of religion!

Are you asking for a specific religion, or the very first religion which probably involved human sacrifice to stop a volcano god from getting very angry?

I'm thinking that mankind survived for over 100,000 years without the (ahem) one true god, so we'd probably be better off today if religion had never been thought of.
edit on 10/28/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Are you asking for a specific religion, or the very first religion which probably involved human sacrifice to stop a volcano god from getting very angry?

I believe 'had never had religion' answers that question, or he would have specified.

I'm thinking that mankind survived for over 100,000 years without the (ahem) one true god, so we'd probably be better off today if religion had never been thought of.

'Survived' is a very good word for it. 'Survived' as in 'just barely'.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Sinny,
your title captured my attention. Then I realized it was in General Chit Chat.

Did you post it here initially? The responses seem to reflect that you did, and oh, how I wish these folks would participate in the "forum proper"!!!

Would you make a similiar thread in the "Bible Thumpers" forum, please? (We need fresh reinforcements!)

edit on 28-10-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Reinforcements against what? Just to be clear, arguing with idiots is a doomed mission. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. You can't follow an illogical argument using logic because they don't listen, and the train of debate is so slow you can't keep up.

edit on 29-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Reinforcements in our camp who advocate for tolerance, common sense, education, research, and open-mindedness!

It bothers me that anyone thinks these three forums (those regarding theology) are considered the domain and territory of "Bible Thumpers", when there are some very intelligent, thoughtful, and genuine people contributing on them as well. The more we contribute to bring modern thought and logic to light, the less of a strangle-hold the hard-liners will have on the unsuspecting and naive.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

It bothers me that anyone thinks these three forums (those regarding theology) are considered the domain and territory of "Bible Thumpers",

That is only true as long as you let them have the last word.

The more we contribute to bring modern thought and logic to light, the less of a strangle-hold the hard-liners will have on the unsuspecting and naive.

Many choose the simpler path, because it's easier on their unhardened feet. And remember, it's always easier to be mistaken than right.
edit on 29-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I have my own strong metaphysical beliefs - that conveniently (for me) allows these people to exist whilst denying most of the written texts (such as the Bible)

My religion is just fine. Greek Mythology. Here's why:

It is now taken as metaphorical these days. In other words, it isn't in any way taken literally. It served the purpose of developing language. Many abstract words and concepts necessary for Philosophy started out as concrete names for concrete gods and goddesses.

Once abstract thought became language the gods retired into literature, not sacred text. My gods are all retired, but their names live on in abstract concepts.
----------------------
Examples:

Words Derived from Greek Gods?

Chronus, Gaea, Eros, and Chaos are four of the Greek primoridal gods. Some current English words have their etymological roots in the names of these gods.

CHRONUS (or Khronus) was the Greek god personifying time.

"-chron-" (time): anachronism, chronic, chronicle, chronology, synchronize

GAEA (or Ge) was the Greek goddess personifying the Earth.

"geo-" (earth): geography, geology, geometry, geophysics, geopolitics

EROS was the Greek god of love, lust, and sex.

"ero-" (sexual love): eros, erotic, eroticism, erotogenic

CHAOS was the original state of existence from which the gods first appeared.

"chaos" (void, disorder) : chaos, chaotic

But the sacred text religions live on as literal instead of literature - that seems to retard abstract thought and imagination rather than enhance them. Bummer.

edit on 30-10-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The ridiculous notion that an ALLMIGHTY, OMNIPOTENT, OMNISCIENT creator of all that is seen and unseen...

...could, or would 'create' for itself an adversary, capable of amassing over aeons of time, other 'creations' of an ALMIGHTY, OMNIPOTENT, OMNISCIENT creator of all that is seen and unseen...to fight some battle against...

There really is no excuse for this kind of abject stupidity...

Think about this...long...and...hard...

A99

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Greatest flaw with religion? The effect it as had on scientific advancement, Check Galileo for example www.bbc.co.uk...

In 1614, Galileo was accused of heresy for his support of the Copernican theory that the sun was at the centre of the solar system. This was revolutionary at a time when most people believed the Earth was in this central position. In 1616, he was forbidden by the church from teaching or advocating these theories. In 1632, he was again condemned for heresy after his book 'Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems' was published. This set out the arguments for and against the Copernican theory in the form of a discussion between two men. Galileo was summoned to appear before the Inquisition in Rome. He was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment, later reduced to permanent house arrest at his villa in Arcetri, south of Florence. He was also forced to publicly withdraw his support for Copernican theory.

I wonder how further advanced we may have become without religious interference with mans desire for knowledge.
edit on 30-10-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Science.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

As I have said many times before (threads in my signature elaborates the point) religion and fundamentalists and traditionalists have all been fearful of change for many, many years now.

That is the detriment you are describing.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join