It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's The Greatest Flaw In Religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I was just partaking in one of those bible thumping threads - As I do now and then - to gain perspective and poke just a *wee* bit of fun..

I'm actually inclined to believe Emmanuel existed, as did many other messengers of greater knowledge than our selves.. However, I have my own strong metaphysical beliefs - that conveniently (for me) allows these people to exist whilst denying most of the written texts (such as the Bible) - Because, lets face it - a lot of it is fanciful.

So I'm just wondering - What, in your opinion, is religions biggest flaw?

Here's the last post I made in that thread, that will offer you a brief glimpse at some of my irks:

"He is going to judge you" - That ladies and gents is the biggest lie of all.
ETA: Who gave god a penis anyway?
Flaws, flaws everywhere - in your knickers in your hair

So, pick any religion of your choice - or multiple - and tell me why you think its flawed

edit on 27-10-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The biggest flaw in all religions, including my own, is that they believe they are the one true religion and all others are false.

Even if they don't come out and say it, they do believe this or else they wouldn't be part of that religion.

The only reason I am of the "religion" I am is because of tradition. I don't buy into the thinking that my religion is the one true religion, I don't believe that exists.

I am not arrogant enough to say the version of God I believe in is the "truth" and I am also not arrogant enough to say that there is no God.

I think if more people thought this way, people wouldn't have as many issues with religion. Faith shouldn't be turned into a game to see who is "right" or who is on the "winning" side. It should be personal and mostly private.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

G'day Sinny

Thats an easy question - RELIGION is the flaw in religion.

Why!

Because it denies spirituality and promotes hate.

Love one another, do as you would be done by.

That seems sensible to you and me doesn't it - well not so if your intent is control of the masses - divide and conquer is their game plan.

S&F

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
You want people to be specific to a particular religion?

Well since im a part of none, i will say what i thought while reading your post about all of them.

They arnt actually flawed if you do not think literally about everything that they all say, to the letter. Its my firm belief that whoever started it all up (call them a god if you must) only believed in creating a structure of respect to live a civilized life too. You could say that the first prophets and priests and such, were politicians and policemen on the day. Problem with that is not a problem when you are the only religion in town, thats where real laws rights and such were created from, they just got the ball rolling for stopping things you wouldn't like done to you while being fair to all and creating a respectful environment.

Im not calling politicians or policemen the priests of today either, but clearly the role of a pastor preacher any religions "professionals" couldn't all be covered by one man, so we divided it up and creating a modern society. Because different religions, why all respectful in their own rights dont work when mashed together and scriptures and texts are ripped own to every word in a sort of religious show down. Thats why we split up the really good ideas that they did all agree on, into laws while trying to preserve each religions right to exist.

I dont mind who believes in what, but in a land with laws, you stick to those whoever you are, and so will i.

The only flaw i see is that they have run their course for the modern man, but since the belief without any proof of anything is so powerful is humans practicing it for 100,000 years, its likely its actually a part of our genes to have a predisposition to believe. So cutting our ties with an old control system for civilization and going to the next, is not worth the argument and loss of life or land over. Move forward, not back and all that.

I hope that provides something more than just a wall of text to read

EDIT: There is something to be said for the fear of something 'else' other than a punishment creates a more solid structure, but a modern law based society can achieve that too if its believed in and respected. Some people will always be bad without the fear of God, because they dont respect or fear man.

edit on 27-10-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
"There can only be one" religion that could be true but because there are so many then all must be false!

Many does not = 1

So many or any of the many = 0 thus false!

Flaw is they all = 0

And 0 = b.llocks

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The biggest flaw of religion is that it is based on deception. It is about controlling people rather than enlightening them. No God that was worthy of following would expect any form of worship or obedience. Our actions should spring from our spiritual growth and be motivated by the depth of our grasp of truth. Anything that threatens to do something to us if we don't follow the rules, is about power and control and has nothing to do with spiritual growth. We must learn to shed all negative emotions, if we want to grow spiritually. To try and find anything worth holding on to in religion, is like trying to decide which is the prettiest side of the manure pile. Some things are best understood and then dropped as useless for our needs and religion is one of those.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The absence of logic, the lack of evidence (in most cases the entire religion is based on a book), and the fact that religions are backwards belief systems that should have been left behind when we began to understand the world and the origin of man, I think a lot of religions were made up to explain this. There are a lot of flaws, it's hard to say.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I have no problems with religion. I have problems with religious zealots. People who can only discuss religion based in their own framework with assumptions that are not universal.

Basically the whole self-referencing logic of "My godling is the only path to heaven because the bible says so and it was written by said god"

Like you, Sinny, my path allows me the flexibility to acknowledge the existence of these historical figures and even the divinity of their gods and goddesses but I'm not beholden to any nor am I willing to entertain the egos of their followers in their assumptions of divine superiority.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
"My God is better than your God."
and human interpretation are the two biggest flaws I can see.
Plus,a bit of hard evidence would be nice,although that sort of defeats the object I suppose.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

It can all be summed up in this thread. Those are the flaws I find most irking in Christianity, or any Judaic religion. Well, that might not be all of them, but it's definitely a large portion!
edit on 27-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I would have to say the biggest flaw with religions is they convince the subject to believe them from them. For example, the only justification to the bible is the bible. 99% argue the basis of the truth of the bible with quotes from the bible. No one is born with a religion, it is taught and brainwashed, and then if you ever want to leave, you are threatened beyond all human measure (eternal punishment).

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
"What's The Greatest Flaw In Religion?"

- Authority over the believers behavior & actions - demanding obedience which in turn goes to the next problem, threats of eternal punishment if one is not obedient.

I think the real answer to this is Religion, humanities greatest flaw'
edit on 27-10-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Religion, humanities greatest flaw'

Possibly the smartest thing anyone ever said.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Religion is regional. Usually it is where you live that specifies what religion you are part of. This is it's greatest flaw. Many are raised without a choice and the entire time are told they have a choice of freewill.

I also second what other posters have said that Religion is a flaw in itself by removing individual spirituality.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
No matter what religion it is the HUGE flaws are human interpretation of scripture and dogma.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
In my opinion, one of the greatest flaws in most religions is the element of EXCLUSIVITY.

Each group/belief feels it is the sole exclusive owner of the ONE TRUE whatever.

This creates tension with people of differing belief systems where and US vs THEM attitude and culture becomes a prevalent feature.

If this exclusivity didn't exist, and all religions simply taught that each system is a different path where all paths may eventually lead to the same destination, then, we probably wouldn't be having these gang turf wars and radioactive philosophical fallout storms.

Without exclusivity, we'd likely not have these theologically driven rivalries to the extent we see them between the big 3 of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam especially.

edit on 27-10-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Ooo, I know!

This idea that "God" is all knowing, all powerful, all compassionate, all loving, all forgiving,. etc.

Yet "He" doesnt do squat. You would think that the most powerful/compassionate entity of all time would stop human suffering once in a while, but noooooooooooo.

See, "He" can do whatever he wants, but "He" CHOOSES not to do anything because its all a test of faith.

Mm hm, sure.

edit on 27-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taiyed
The biggest flaw in all religions, including my own, is that they believe they are the one true religion and all others are false.

Even if they don't come out and say it, they do believe this or else they wouldn't be part of that religion.

they do?

www.berzinarchives.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Religions, at their core, are ideas. I think the biggest flaw is that people use those ideas to promote their opinions, generally using fear to manipulate others to agree with them.

For example, the primary concept in the New Testament is to love one another. Yet we have groups like the Westboro Baptist Church who do anything but that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join