It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Car's Interior to Feel Like Human Skin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Came across This article and just had to share.

Nissan wants you to really feel at home in your car, like you're in your own skin, literally. The car company is developing a synthetic material for the interior of their vehicles that resembles human skin.

Using high-end leather and soft-touch plastics engineers at Nissan wear able to create a more "luxurious" feeling. They want to expand that comfort level by matching the physical characteristic of the skin on a human finger: flexibility, temperature, smoothness and moistness. The softness of the human finger isn't just how smooth it is, for the researchers they are also looking at the resistance to pressure the finger pad exhibits.

The feeling of sitting in this kind of interior would almost be like holding someone's hand…on your bum. This is a very cool idea, and will no doubt be super cozy if ever implemented into an actual car. But how depressing will it be when your car's skin is softer than your own?

I can't decide if this is super cool or super creepy. On the one hand, I personally believe the majority of folks in the US are touch-deprived. We need more skin to skin contact; it's been shown to reduce stress. But I don't think this will feel the same at all.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Pretty confident "my rides got a leather interior", will always be preferred over "my rides got a synthetic human skin interior".

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Pretty confident "my rides got a leather interior", will always be preferred over "my rides got a synthetic human skin interior".

Without a doubt!

It's actually kind of creepy, when you think about it...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Without a doubt!

It's actually kind of creepy, when you think about it...

well we have synthetic leathers, but people get that because they cant afford real leather.

synthetic human skin, thats like saying "i cant bring myself to skin a live human".

which sort of implies they thought about it, so ABSOULTLY CREEPY.

I bet Hannibal Lecter's ride has the real stuff, what a show off

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Can I get one with skin like this?

I'd be rolling around naked in it all day.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
If somebody's gonna grope my backside, I want it to be a homo-sapien, not a machine

I agree, it does sound creepy. Just think about the other companies who would be in competition. Would we end up with a "silence of the lambs" type thing going on? Would people start claiming that certain cars were racist due to the hue that's used? It could just get really messy and crazy

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

which one are you and why are you promoting yourself?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

This is definately creepy,remember the german officer, during
WW2,had lampshades made from human skin?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Eww, Can anyone say "HOSTEL"

Just the thought, reminds me of this movie.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
If you starve them first, the skin becomes loose on the body and is easier to remove in one piece. It still needs a good tanning to make it serviceable longer. Why have a cheap imitation when TPTB are ensuring that there will be lots of hides for the taking. Don't you just love our world?

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" Oscar Wilde

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The technology would be interesting for robot developers. There is a lot of research on how to make a robot more human like.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

That's just icky! I think I'll stick with my cow skin upholstery.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

No sense of humor, or do not get it?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I know how they are going to call this rice bowl:

The GTX Hanibal Lector Special Edition.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
Can I get one with skin like this?

I'd be rolling around naked in it all day.

I'd prefer a pillow-top to this no padding version any day. Who wants to sit on a car seat and feel bones poking them?

Not me, that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

That's just icky! I think I'll stick with my cow skin upholstery.

....yeah, I guess we do already use actual skin....

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You obviously haven't driven a Bugatti Veyron, the interior IS human skin.
And there's a matching luggage set. It's very nice.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think the IDEA is really good but will fail just because they compared it to human skin. I really like my leather interior and all the soft touch surfaces. Make them better and I'm all for it. Make me think about riding in a human skinned car and I am uncomfortable. If they marketed it correctly I think it would be genius. It is pretty creepy Smylee.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Maybe if they stressed that it's synthetic and go even further and say "We make it feel like your own skin" as opposed to "human skin".

Maybe even do a DNA test and find a way to inject that into the "skin" even though it's not based on DNA at all. That would make people think it was "personalized" and not link their thoughts to "what if they really skinned people and that's how they made it". ... that may work a bit better and feed the ego of the possible customers.

Just thinking of possibilities to remove the "ick factor".

...resale values would probably stink though...

edit on 27-10-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join