It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Second World War in Full Colour.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The Second World War in Full Colour.

This is a great documentary colorizing old original footage from the second world war were 72 million people died, with letters and diaries from those who lived and died in this horrific war.

----------------------------------------TOTAL WAR----------------------------------------
Narrator John Thaw
WARNING SOME SCENES MAY BE DISTURBING

With the rise of Germany once again in Europe and the world added with there aggressive dominance of the EU, i though it be a good time to remind people of the second world war, its only been 70 years since this war.
The pain and misery the germans inflicted on europe is still a open wound, most people only ever hear about the 6 million jews that died in world 2, and hardly anything is spoken of the other 66 million who died.

The Soviet Union lost the most with 25 million deaths, but only about a third were combat related.

China's death toll is incomplete but estimates are between 15 and 22 million.

Poland had 6 million deaths including 3 million Jews, roughly 20% of its prewar population.

Japan had 1.2 million battle deaths and another 1.4 million soldiers listed as missing, almost 1 million civilians were killed in the bombing raids between 1944 and 1945.

Over 1.7 million Yugoslavs and 500,000 Greeks died in the war.

France lost 200,000 soldiers and 400,000 civilians.

Italy lost 330,000 people.

Hungary lost 147,000 men in combat.

Bulgaria lost 19,000 in combat.

Romania lost 73,000 in combat.

Great Britain lost 264,000 soldiers and 60,000 civilians in bombing raids.

The United States lost 292,000 soldiers.

The Dutch lost 10,000 soldiers and 190,000 civilians.

Australia lost 23,000 men in combat.

Canada lost 37,000 soldiers.

India lost 24,000 men in battle.

New Zeland lost 10,000.

South Africa lost 6,000.

So i think it's fair to say Europe has good reason to be suspicious of Germany and the way they are behaving within the EU.

My mothers father was a British Sergent Major and died a prisoner of war in africa fighting Germans, and my dads father was a B52 radio engineer, who was part of the bombing of berlin, he survived the war.

The bombing of london killed 9 of my family members in total let alone those that fought overseas, and my grand mother was found dead after German night bombing of london holding her dead new born baby in her arms, this was why my granddad joined the royal Airforce.
I remember him telling me as a kid when i asked him about the war and he told me, he and his wife never wanted any part of this war, but when he found his wife(my grand mother) and his new born baby dead, he wanted to kill ever german he ever saw.

Anyway this is a great documentary to watch, and great for the younger people at ATS, and the older lot to recap.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Something odd, Canada set up Nazi pow camps. Funnly thing though. They were practically like little resort villiages. Most had everything you'd find in a country side bed and breakfast or resort, including swimming pools. When the war ended many of the prisoners desperately tried everything they could to stay here rather than go back to the bombed out cities. We sure treated them good anyway. ha ha.

3:37 the indoor swimming pool of Camp 30.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
OP is it my idea or you didn't mention the Greek losses and the Greek fight against the Nazis? Greeks were the most important part of the war against the Nazis in WW2...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Alda1981

didn't bother reading the rest of the sentence about the slavic deaths no?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadpoolPete

We get a lot of headline readers at ATS, he also never watched the documentary as it covers the greeks, infact it covers all nations that took part and story's and letters from all over the world, and being in colour it really brings it home of what it was like in those days.
It be great if they could do this to the first world war footage aswell.

I posted this thread in the wrong forum by mistake, wanted in the world war 3 section, but hey it happens.

top topics

join