I feel that I am destined to be poor.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I was in a similar boat not too long ago. I had been a travelling contract welder for several years. Willing to go anywhere. Had an active secret security clearance. The money was good. I'd pack up my tools and head out to wherever. Alaska, Montana, Washington, South Dakota, Louisiana, Texas, the Gulf of Mexico, the Bering Sea, wherever. My wife hated it but it was bringing in loads of cash for the 6-7 months per year I was working.

But then the market dried up everywhere but the shipyards on the East Coast. One place I do not go. Horrible safety record.

So I was off work for about a year. Got so sick of watching daytime TV that I went out and renewed my welding certifications. Got a good 3-page resume together and fired off about 200 applications to fulltime non-contract employers. Of those 200, I heard back from about 20 of them. Some of the positions were already filled. I got 9 interviews. And got 6 good job offers after doing their in-house welding tests.

I ended up taking a lesser paying job because it was very close to home (30 miles away), is recession-proof, and has great benefits. So now I have my own welding shop. I set my own pace. And I simply repair damaged heavy equipment and manfacture components for them. Whenever I need consumables or material, it is paid for by the State of Idaho.

I don't make nearly as much money as I used to. But it is more than enough to pay the bills, put food on the table, put gas in the tank and still enjoy going out and shopping or watching a movie or going out to dinner.

The best part is that I now only work 40 hours per week. I get an actual work schedule and can go home at the end of the day. Life is good.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Sometimes its location location location. If you live in a piss poor area dont expect to make much of yourself until you move no matter what your skills are..Please dont take any offense at that.

I moved my family thousands of miles and multiple cities before I finally found damn near utopia only 80 miles north of where I grew up (and my starting point).

The secret is you cant fear leaving it all behind and losing what little you have fought for to get to where you see yourself being in life.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

There are always persons who lack the means of existence, even in the midst of abundance. Who is to blame for this?

"In some cases, the selfishness which too often prevents men from being just to others; in other cases, and most often, themselves. Christ has said, 'Seek, and ye shall find;' but these words do not imply that you have only to cast your eyes on the ground in order to find all that you may desire, but rather that you must seek for what you want, and not indolently, but with ardour and perseverance, and without allowing yourselves to be discouraged by obstacles that are often only a means of putting your constancy, patience, and firmness to the proof.

814. Why has God given wealth and power to some, and poverty to others?

"In order to try them in different ways. Moreover, as you know, it is the spirits themselves who have selected those trials, under which they often succumb."

815. Which of the two kinds of trial, poverty or riches, is the most to be dreaded by man?

"They are equally dangerous. Poverty excites murmurings against Providence; riches excite to all kinds of excesses."

816. If the rich man has more temptations to evil, has he not also more ample means of doing good?

"That is precisely what he does not always do. He often becomes selfish, proud, and insatiable. His wants increase with his fortune, and he never thinks he has enough, even for himself."

Worldly grandeur, and authority over our fellow-creatures, are trials as great and as slippery as misfortune: for the richer and more powerful we are, the more obligations we have to fulfil, and the greater are our means of doing both good and evil. God tries the poor through resignation, and the rich through the use he makes, of his wealth and power.
Riches and power give birth to all the passions that attach us to matter, and keep us at a distance from spiritual perfection: this is why Jesus said that it is easier for a camel to pass through the needle's eye than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven. (266.) www.allankardec.ca...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If it's any consolation, I've attended college, trade schools, received numerous certifications, owned a business, and held over 20 jobs until I landed a stable job at the age of 36. If you want to improve your status, and you don't like your current job, continue to search until you find something you like that will improve your standard of living. It's tough and it's probably one of the hardest things you have to do in life. Make as many contacts and pound the pavement. Good luck to you.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
There is no such thing as an honest man.
St. Louis de Monfort

Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious.
Oscar Wilde

Always listen to people who say they are searching for truth, never those that say they have found it
Jordan Maxwell

As far as I'm concerned, there will be big changes worldwide, over the next few years. Staying alive will become your biggest concern.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Destined is not the right word. It is possible but lets just say the deck is stacked against you and it's gonna take a miracle. But they happen, so don't give up if that is what you want. Anything is possible if you don't let them throw you out of the game.

I agree that the deck is not in his favor but I don't think it takes a miracle.
Most people don't really get focused and give it everything because they don't realize what that means.
They just don't realize how much power and opportunity they have if they throw out the average mindset.
Anything is possible and good things are probable if he pushes himself and steps out of his established and familiar enviroment.
We can't let societies consolation prizes like unemployment, welfare and minimum wage cause us to settle for less than we can be.
We've got to be vigorous in pursuit of a better life and realize that not many truly happy people get handed success.
The truly happy souls actually do earn it.
But society doesn't want us to know that.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Thank everybody for your input.

I could not get to sleep last night. I was thinking of how I could purchase a gas generator welder.

A few thousand dollars is a little out of reach though.

My gf is trying to get this promotion at her work. She is currently working only about two to three days a week at near minimum wage. This would help out matters a lot, but that is if her boss gets another job she wants. To many ifs to get excited over.

Anybody got a welder they want to give away? Lol

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
Thank everybody for your input.

I could not get to sleep last night. I was thinking of how I could purchase a gas generator welder.

A few thousand dollars is a little out of reach though.

My gf is trying to get this promotion at her work. She is currently working only about two to three days a week at near minimum wage. This would help out matters a lot, but that is if her boss gets another job she wants. To many ifs to get excited over.

Anybody got a welder they want to give away? Lol

Find one for rent from an equipment company.
Get a bid on a job accepted then rent the welder.
Do the job, return the welder.
Rinse and repeat until you can buy the welder outright.

Even if it cuts into profit, it's still profit.
Get whatever work you can as often as you can.
Add em up and buy the equipment you need later.

edit on 27-10-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You should read the mega thread about the law of attraction. You will always be what you expect to be. If you expect to be poor, you will be. I am willing to help you if you want. It requires a change in your way of thinking and what you focus on.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hououinkyouma

sry I meant to say middle class. I forgot, rich people don't have the same problems with the Irs.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Join a labor union and put in some OT.

You'll even be able to send your kids to college.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

I didnt read every last post but perhaps look for a crappy job to tide you over? I know you feel down but as someone who has only ever just gotten by with multiple part time jobs, I think you'll be alright. Working one job and getting paid a good paycheck would be great, but thats not whats in the cards for many of us. Gas Stations, restaurants, grocery stores, shelf stocker, gotta love being on the bottom of the food chain.
edit on 27-10-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Poor is a matter of perspective...most of the world's inhabitants would consider you rich.

Simply having clean water and healthy food makes you quite wealthy when measured against
a large percentage of other humans on this planet..

If you have a comfortable dwelling to sleep in and eat when you want, you are rich.
If you have recreation and liberty, without the stress of war, or oppression by government...

you're are downright wealthy.

edit on 27-10-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
No one is destined to be poor in my opinion. My great grandparents were uneducated and poor, my grandparents were uneducated and poor, and my parents were both uneducated and poor. I do not believe that having an education is a guarantee of having a good paying job, not anymore. Now they say that not being educated and having a degree it is near certain that you won't have a good paying job, but having one isn't a guarantee of getting one. So it's a measure of protection I suppose, but in my case we started our own business. We had years of barely scraping by, but we kept working hard day after day. When there was no business and things seemed pointless into the 3rd year, we kept working hard at it. Here we are 11 years out and we may not be rich, but bills are paid, we bought a house, and manage to do fairly well with a family of 6.

My point is that no one is destined to be anything more than what they are willing to make happen. Having a job working for someone else isn't going to make you rich in most cases. If you believe you are destined to be poor then that is what you will be. If you believe that you can do what you need to eventually do better for yourself and break the cycle then you will become that. The key is to not stop working hard and to not stop trying when you are years out and it doesn't seem to be working.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well the way the pyramid is set up...You can only have a very small number of very wealthy people...then it goes down in degrees, til you get to the middle classes...and beneath them the working class...and underneath them the under class.
Just like a pyramid made of bricks...the largest economic sector are the underclass...overall they will account for about 2 thirds of the population..either homeless, or living pay cheque to pay cheque..or motel to motel..... surprisingly that bottom level enables the level above it to exist and so on...its simple maths and economics.
There have to be billions of very poor people in order to have a few very rich ones..The poor and desperate work for pennies and are expendable and reliable..due to their urgent need for food, water and shelter..these basic needs are used against them in a form of extortion. Otherwise who would make our Nikes?

...Just as a rich boss cannot become rich without underlings and workers..who directly contribute to his wealth....same as in a bee colony or ant colony...workers, drones, soldiers and a queen..the lowest ranks being the majority of the population.

World trade attempted to turn this pyramid structure of economics and wealth...in to a global pyramid...where developing countries like China were at the middle propping up the top level...which has been the USA. China producing consumer goods whilst paying workers peanuts in sweat shops..Then Africa being the world underclass...a whole continent used for its resources.. minerals for cell phones and computers, copper, gold and diamond mines...and at one time slavery, (a free labor force), this is the real reason Africa never develops...if it did advance the west would be destabelised ..Just as now, when China develops the west trembles and fears being demoted in the pyramid structure.

..even ordinary westerners look down on people from developing countries as being less value than they are....This mentality is reinforced by the media...for example if a plane crashed killing 300 people...only the 2 brits on board will be mentioned on the news...emphasis on the nationalities of only the few important nations, makes the rest of the people seem unimportant....similar to how the USA also coined the term collateral damage...And as we see in the "wedding video" made by a "friend" of Justin Timberlake..using homeless people as the butt of the joke...but most of us are the butt of an even beigger joke....because money equals value...and if you don't have money your considered worthless...or a figure of fun.

So knowing this...the choice is climb the pyramid...knowing you really do have to try your best and when that doesn't work you have to be willing to cheat...AKA Lance Armstrong...a man who would always have been a legend if he hadn't been caught.
There is no "nice" or decent way to climb to the top...no matter what anyone says..i don't buy it...the good guys with money simply have never been caught..also the simple fact of being wealthy whilst your know billions are poor...well... that's takes a certain personality to live comfortable knowing that.

As Pablo Escobar once said "There are two hundred million idiots, manipulated by a million intelligent men."
He may have been a psychotic scum bag..but evidently an honest one.

Money and wealth are inherently evil things...because the system of money only allows a few to be well off...whilst the many remain in poverty...This is undoubtedly evil...another choice is to have anarchy which would make life an even bloodier and more uncertain affair..The only other way to live and be secure, is to be fully self sufficient...and get out of the rat race all together.. this is the most moral and ethical and practical solution.

So acquire land...and build your own home...even a log cabin.

www.youtube.com...

Dick Proenneke an inspiration to us all.
edit on 27-10-2012 by TheBlackHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I was born poor, raised poor, and currently poor.

I am 33-34. I am not affraid to work.

A couple of years ago I tried(and still trying) to change that. I enrolled myself at the loacal college after 12 years at the same dead end job. I did really well in the grade sector. Got a job three weeks out of college. I scored in the top 5 in the testing to get the job.

I worked for a year and a half with no problems, and some of my posts reflect this. Now the construction industry has taken a hit, it seems that the federal funding band aid fell off.

Now after a month of being laid off I am starting to lose hope. I have heard some in the trade that lay-offs can last many months. My unemployment is not even paying the rent and now it is starting to hurt with Christmas coming around.

I really do not want any sympathy. I just needed to put some thoughts out there.

Should I stick with the trade and tough out the thought times or move on? I like what I am doing working for a mechanical contractor. But being laid off sucks.

I keep trucking along trying to make something happen, but when will lady luck be there for lj01.

I do not wish to be rich. I would just like to not have to worry about the power bill, rent, or food on the table for the kids.

What does one have to do to obtain that?

I have skills but damn man, I am losing faith(IA am not religous).

Piss poor out of luck.

I have been on ATS for a while now. I expect some post's of immaturity. I just wanted to see of anyone with the
same type of luck or similar experiences could chime in.

Just living the American dream

You know a trade. Do whatever you can to ply that trade outside of your normal job.

You can take care of your family, but you must never lose hope.

Work "under the table", and collect while you can.

You will make it, if you persevere.

God is testing you.

Are you up to the challenge?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Join a labor union and put in some OT.

You'll even be able to send your kids to college.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I would like to ask you if you are in a labor union or ever have been in a labor union?

I only ask this because I have stated that I am a tradesman. I am a union sheetmetal worker at a local just outside of ST. Louis.

Out of a year and a half I put in 6hours of overtime. This was only because of the general contractor messing up.

Trades work well when the economy is doing well. I was hired on because Obama infused the construction sector with federal funds to build schools, courthouses, and other public buildings. A lot of that construction is coming to an end, hence the reason I am unumployed.

Also if you have ever been in an union and worked for any contractor using union employees, you would know that mostcontractors absolutely hate and sometimes refuse to pay overtime.

I know this for a fact.

Most unions are hurting to find steady employment because of a push for "right to work", such as Romney wants.

I am only speaking of my experience being in a union and having contact with about every other trade out there.
There is not one trade on any site that they said they are receiving overtime. It is quite the opposite. Tradesmen need work. A lot rotate time with other employees.

edit on 28-10-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by newcovenant

Destined is not the right word. It is possible but lets just say the deck is stacked against you and it's gonna take a miracle. But they happen, so don't give up if that is what you want. Anything is possible if you don't let them throw you out of the game.

I agree that the deck is not in his favor but I don't think it takes a miracle.
Most people don't really get focused and give it everything because they don't realize what that means.
They just don't realize how much power and opportunity they have if they throw out the average mindset.
Anything is possible and good things are probable if he pushes himself and steps out of his established and familiar enviroment.
We can't let societies consolation prizes like unemployment, welfare and minimum wage cause us to settle for less than we can be.
We've got to be vigorous in pursuit of a better life and realize that not many truly happy people get handed success.
The truly happy souls actually do earn it.
But society doesn't want us to know that.

That sounds like a BS speech a boss gives his minimum wage employee to get him to bust his butt for longer hours. There is a difference between an honest dollar and building the pyramids. By that I mean a job without a future that is taking advantage of what ever they can get for free out of you. They keep piling on the responsibility and adding the hours until you get fed up and quit. There are not a lot of altruists in the workforce. After many years of that your body breaks down. The success story is certainly the exception. If it were easy everyone would do it. Look around you. People always dream of the day they work for themselves.
You call minimum wage something people settle for? It is what a grinding days worth of work will pay and for 10 years the GOP did not think it should go up. Meanwhile the folks selling products to us - their prices went up. Higher and higher taking more and more. Cost of living was growing exponentially while our earnings stayed the same. And this pattern continued until it became unsustainable. There was nothing else to suck dry.
Anyway long and short of it...yes he can make it but he can't have a down day and he is going to have to surrender his life to it and chances are good when he finally does achieve appreciable success he will die of a heart attack from the stress and not live to enjoy the fruits of his labors. This way one moves along making room for the new. Insurance company hedging bets on how long you might live make money. Quite often there is a widow involved, she will do alright.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

reply to post by badgerprints

That is what I am kind of thinking. Being in the construction industry I travel a quite a bit anyways.

I was thinking of oilfield welding. I need to touch up on a few rough spots, but it is doable.

If I do anything else, i will probably start in the welding field first. That is what I originally went to school for.

Thank you for the advice.

Oilfield welding? If thats what you want to do (or can), save up some coin and move the family to Canada (specifically north western Alberta). You'll be rolling in money. Oil field is rough up here (you work in brutal cold, and you're away working 3 weeks at a time, and the hours are long), but the work is plentiful (in season of course), and you make boat loads of money.

Not my cup of tea, personally. I'd rather be poor. But if it's money you're after you can make lots of it in the oilfield up here and there is always a demand for skilled workers. When work drys up during spring break up, you should still have enough money to coast through the off season if you aren't blowing your $6-9000 checks every month.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Tht sounds like it would be an experience.

I have a problem though, I have made a few mistakes in my past and I do not believe I can get a passport. I have two non violent convictions on my report and was told I can't vote or leave country.

I have not done too much research on it though. I know that Illinois does not pardon felons to vote, so I really don't know about the leaving bit.

It would suck but I think I could do it for a while. If things don't turn around for me around here I might che k into it a little more.

I would like to add that there is not a day that goes by that I do not regret my ignorance of my younger years.
edit on 28-10-2012 by liejunkie01 because: phone spelling

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join