It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WEB APOCALYPSE: Is the Internet Crashing Across America?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
There could be a simple explanation:

Maybe (s)he was looking to have a cat-scan done.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Nothing noteworthy to report here, aside from slowly loading pages here and there. I wonder why some people had no problems and other people couldn't access whole websites for hours?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm a bit confused.

This picture you posted.

The description says its a graph to indicate the packet loss over the last 24 horus?

But when you go to InternetTrafficReport.com(The site these graphs come from) the graphs indicating Packet Loss have clearly got "Packet Loss" displayed on the graph. Look

Then they have Traffic Index and Response Time graphs as well. And as you can see for yourself both clearly state the name of what they represent on the graph.

Why does the picture indicating the drop in Packet Loss say "Traffic Index"? Something about that article doesn't seem right.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I've heard awhile ago that the IP addresses are all used up and they have to switch to new ones ?

Maybe switching caused the crash?
edit on 27-10-2012 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
OMG. Ha ha.
These replies are so funny. I wish I was in IT. I could earn a fortune!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I've been getting:

Gateway 503 Error

...from a few websites for the last couple of days.

reply to post by 0bserver1

Super easy fix already implemented a while back. Basically is non issue, similar to the y2k bug/scare.

IPv6
edit on 27-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I can't get into Twitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I've been having trouble with the wireless too, all week long, I just assumed that it was network DNS server. I think there's something going on though now that I've read your reports. Good post thanks for shedding some light on the situation.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seanmorgan27

Oke genius lets hear it...?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
No issues at this here side of the globe..
wisconsin..

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Wow, a thread I can actually relate to. Here in NM I get a top speed of 12 down and 3 up but for the last day or so I've been unable to top 3 down and 0.5 up. Pissing me off cause I got 4 other internet users and 3 doesn't cut it.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Kind of creepy, my internet has always been a little slow, but ive realized that it cuts out ALOT more and is much slower than usual. And now with all these scandals and earthquakes and hurricanes and storms and... and....

What's going on?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
and this is the apocalyps why ?
since the internet ppl have become lazy and fat, they should get rid of it

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
I've heard awhile ago that the IP addresses are all used up and they have to switch to new ones ?

Maybe switching caused the crash?
edit on 27-10-2012 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

It's not a global thing, there was as far as I know, no mass movement towards IPv6 - and that would really have no effect on the speed of the Internet. There may be some hurdles to have IPv6 DNS coexist on a IPv4 domain, but again, I don't think this will really effect the speed of anything.

I just imagine some trunklines are having a few issues, that's all. Some trunks are used more than others - if a major trunk goes down or has issues, could have a ripple effect on everything else. There is an Internet backbone so to speak, and if the issues are there, the effects are more widespread.

But no matter how big the issue is, the Internet keeps on humming. Perhaps humming slower, but humming none-the-less. That's why the idea of an Internet "kill switch" amuses me so much.

How do you "cut off" someone from the above image? You don't.

p.s after some speed tests this morning, everything seems fine from my home (in Denver) and my office at least.
edit on 28-10-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I could use a good excuse to break my addiction to the computer. Actually if this thing cut out on me I wouldn't worry too much. I have radio and television, presumably but they were never as addictive as this. They were the pot and Quaaludes where this Internet connection is the crack. LOL

Actually if the Internet crashed I'd use it as an excuse to get something done around here. I would wait for it to be repaired and reinstalled. Where is the crisis? We lived for many years, in fact most of my live without it. Won't kill us to live without it now.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
well of course the packets went missing, takes a long time to go throught the new " filters " cough cough. they may be able to record super fast but its not instant ^^.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I think loam is actually trying to point out how many "vital" services are now bound over network connections. Online banking, online bill pay, direct deposit, stock brokerage, medical records, earthquake monitors, and most POS terminals, just to name a few, are all processed via secure server connections. To lose that connection is to deny access to those services.

Perhaps you need gas, and use your card at the pump, a sure convenience, but you are told by the clerk that the connection is down. No gas for your automobile. Cash only, the clerk says, so you go to an ATM, but lo and behold, it is non-functional as well. You go to the bank, to withdraw cash in person, and they tell you their computers are also down, no internet connection. So how do you get cash? Wait till they fix it? You need gas now.

My point is that we have slowly relinquished most transactions concerning money to the internet, thinking the internet can never fail. True, it won't, as long as there is an electrical grid in place to power the computers that serve such information, but the bottleneck of information WAITING to be processed (packet loss), will strangle it's effectiveness.

Small outages will decrease the overall function of the interwebs, but to me, that's enough of a situation to create a "tipping point" to chaos. To me, we are on a very thin line. Our dependence upon the internet, versus our ability to live without it.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
For the past 3 days or so I have noticed my internet has been dropping off for a little while, but then it comes back online. This is not normal for my area. Whenever outages happen, it never lasts for more than a few hours at the most, and it never occurs over many days like this. It is just weird, but it may or may not be related. Probably not, but I just thought I would let people know what is going on here.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
i have been trying to get into yahoo card game for bout 2 hour get a error saying cant get on the game server

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join