It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost All of the Jobs Added Since 2009 Have Gone to Part-Time Workers Ages 55 & Older

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Almost All of the Jobs Added Since 2009 Have Gone to Part-Time Workers Ages 55 & Older

Surprises come in small packages they say.

Part time jobs certainly are "small packages".

If the article sources are true, it looks like the majority of jobs added since 2009 are staffed by people 55 and older and are part time !!

The story states that people in ages groups 25 to 54 have actually lost 729,000 jobs since 2009 !!

Perhaps this explains the lopsided jobs reports we keep seeing.

The higher age group jobs really seemed to skyrocket starting this year according to the chart in the article.

The 25 - 54 olds have been on a steady decline since late 2009.

How do you think those 25 - 54 year olds will vote ?

It’s no secret that a great deal of the jobs added in the last few years have been part-time jobs. In fact, as noted earlier on TheBlaze, part-time employment was almost entirely responsible for that miraculous dip in unemployment we saw earlier this month.

But here’s something you may not have known: Of the almost five million jobs added since late 2009, almost all of them have gone to part-time workers ages 55 and older.

“[S]tarting since the official NBER end of the recession in June 2009, the US has cumulatively added 2.9 million jobs,” Zero Hedge reports.

“However, when broken down by age cohort, 3.5 million of these jobs have gone to US workers aged between 55 and 69. Another 729K have gone to recent college grads aged 20-24,” the report adds................

Hmmm.

related article from September 8, 2012...

.......It’s the unfortunate fate for more than 8 million American workers who are not unemployed but who can’t find a full-time job.

A growing percentage of Americans are falling off the margins when it comes to jobs, as the economic malaise continues to grip the country.

Friday’s jobs report for August showed further deterioration in the employment picture. Even the fact that the unemployment rate fell two-tenths of a point to 8.1 percent is worrisome, due to the fact that nearly 400,000 Americans have thrown in the towel on the prospect of finding any work.

One analyst crunched some numbers that suggested that if the labor force were at same level as it was four years ago, the unemployment rate would be 11.2 percent. ......

Part-time nation 8M & growing: The hidden underworked

edit on Oct-27-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

That tells me that the older age groups aren't getting enough monthly income from Uncle Sam, so they are having to supplement their income by getting a part time job.
[so much for retirement, eh?]

Not good for them, neither for the younger ones who can't find jobs.

Sounds like a lose-lose situation IMO.....

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I'm part of that Part time employment, and to be truthful, I like it. Though I am a bit younger of the 55 age range.

Think about it from a employers perspective. You have a job pool who are bored, yet retired on a fixed income, who just want to get out of the house and socialize and earn beer money, or whatever.

You would be a idiot not to access that pool.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Retirement doesn’t mean playing golf all day or sipping Margaritas down at the Country Club.

It means living on a fixed income, which most average people do not like. Even sports figures who “retire” often take up second careers.

I think that the object of retirement is to finally and actually enjoy life. Do what you like to do and hopefully pay the bills in the process.

I think that the younger folk have yet to figure that out, though some have.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Retirement doesn’t mean playing golf all day or sipping Margaritas down at the Country Club.

It means living on a fixed income, which most average people do not like. Even sports figures who “retire” often take up second careers.

I think that the object of retirement is to finally and actually enjoy life. Do what you like to do and hopefully pay the bills in the process.

I think that the younger folk have yet to figure that out, though some have.

I wish back years ago they were hiring older people before my Mom died.

My Mom came from the old school of being the house wife, taking care of the kids while Dad worked.
Well, my Dad passed away from Parkinson disease and what savings they had didn't last but for a few years.
She ended up cashing in their stocks/bonds.....

Long story short, she applied for various jobs, but to no avail. Back then, no one hired people over 50.
Eventually, she lost her house and died on small VA pension.
[wasn't eligible for gov. aid.....]
Us kids helped out when we could but she had lost her pride and was ashamed.
Basically, her drinking got worse and led to the downfall of her health.

To this day, my husband and I are self-employed and he has made sure that I am able to be on my own and not be dependent on any one.
Same with my siblings....we are all pretty much either self-employed or a very stable job.

We learned a very valuable lesson the hard way, at my Mothers expense.

There is no guarantee in life....don't expect any one to help you, except yourself.

PEACE
snarky

edit on 27-10-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-10-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Great post TDawgRex, a job is a job is a job. And if you enjoy your job and it's part time - that's a bonus.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about your Mom. But yes, a valuable lesson was still taught.

I retired from the military at 48, after six months I decided that sitting around my apartment was enough for me.

I aimed low for a job, though set my sights on a decent wage and found it...literally on the first day. Dumb luck probably, or maybe proper planning? I don't know.

I wanted to start at the bottom again and work my way up...again.

My Mom and Dad used to bitch at me for not buying property. Now they are saying I made the wise choice. Heck, the past is 20/20, but the future is blind.

I'm a nomad at heart, born and raised in the military, did another 31 years as a adult and have only been a proper civvie for the past year and a half. It's been a strange yet fascinating journey which has taught me a lot.

I think that a lot of people who are looking for jobs are looking to pick up where they left off. In todays economy, that will be a rare thing, regardless of age.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Appreciate it....

Another thought, people were schooled that at a certain age, you're supposed to retire and enjoy the "Golden Years".
Maybe now they're breaking away from that way of thinking and doing stuff not only to bring in a little extra cash but also to meet people and basically, have some thing to do, like you stated.

We always have observed that it seems like a person's health deteriorates if they just sit around the house doing nothing.
Kinda like an abandoned house or car....

But if they stay active, not only are they meeting people but their mind stays active too.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Dead nuts on in my opinion...

You're mirroring my philosophy and signature...which I truly believe. The one about arriving in the grave..
edit on 27-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

You're mirroring my philosophy.

Good minds think a like......

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

You're mirroring my philosophy.

Good minds think a like......

Good? Good?

Hell, We're Grrrreeeeaaaat!

(Courtesy of Tony the Tiger)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
it's a sad thing that most newly created jobs are part time. i wish there was some regulation that for big companies (not talking small mom and pop type things), that a certain percentage of jobs have to be full time. i say this after working for one of the biggest retailers and saw how they were actively getting rid of full time employees especially the ones who had been there the longest and thus paid more. while at the same time hiring mainly part timers to replace them. one reason this seemed to have been done was that they didn't have to help pay the health benefits the full times got (even tho a fair chunk was paid by the employees themselves), as well as full timers getting vacations. it also lets them crow about how many people they have working for them.

they even went so far as to give my department that had the longest working and most full time staff, a much lower pay budget (listed in dollar amount and not man hours), in the region (one of the busiest stores), and then whine at the manager that we weren't doing enough business. rather hard to do a lot of labor with only a couple employees there, as that is all he could afford with the piddly budget we had. they constantly dropped hints that the manager needed to get rid of the full timers, and hire lower paid part timers. it was bad enough that some staff were not even able to take the legally required breaks as there was no one to cover them, as certain positions HAD to be manned at all times, yet there was no one else that were able to even cover for 15 minutes forget about a meal break. all part of trying to anger the full timers into quitting. this type of thing seemingly happened all over the store. things like good shifts being given to newer part timers leaving the worst shifts for the full timers. and the lack of government mandated breaks all over, in positions that had to be manned at all times. all done in the name of making bigger profits.

the thing is that you CAN NOT AFFORD TO LIVE on a part time salary. so you need to then work MULTIPLE JOBS to try to make ends meet. so for example if you see say 3,000 new part time jobs open up, that doesn't even mean that 3,000 people now have jobs, it could easily mean that 1,000 people got 3 new jobs each. it even happens with full time work especially at low paying jobs. i once worked with a guy who worked one full time job, then part time with us (normally just under full time hours), as well as delivering pizza late at night. is it any wonder he severely hurt himself at his full time job as he was too tired to think straight when his machine malfunctioned? :shk:

as for most of those new part time positions being given to older people, well unfortunately from what i saw over the years the older people were actually willing to WORK. while the younger generations seemed to think that they just needed to show up, do nothing and get paid for it. seems that they all seem rather entitled to getting paid for doing nothing. sadly in the company i was in, instead of getting rid of the dead wood they instead expected the ones that did actually work to do more and more work for others then complaining that your work was not done, (yet again mostly done to the full time staff). in the end i know that had i run my own business i would rather hire an older person then the younger ones who don't seem to want to work.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The trend toward hiring all part time workers will get worse after ObamaCare kicks in. If the business keeps the worker's hours below 33 hours (I think), then the business doesn't have to pay for health insurance, the worker has to.

Soon everyone with a job will be part time, doing the job of three people, earning minimum wage, paying higher taxes and getting crappy healthcare.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
The trend toward hiring all part time workers will get worse after ObamaCare kicks in. If the business keeps the worker's hours below 33 hours (I think), then the business doesn't have to pay for health insurance, the worker has to.

Soon everyone with a job will be part time, doing the job of three people, earning minimum wage, paying higher taxes and getting crappy healthcare.

It's 30 hours for "full time".....

some discussion here:

Obamacare Mandate: Anyone Who Works 30-Hour Week Is Now 'Full-Time'

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Its a case of older folks supplementing their income, and choosing part time as employers do not like to choose older folks when they can choose younger folks for job positions. Perhaps they should toughen up age discrimination laws but republicans wont like that one, eh?

Lets face it, this country CANNOT AFFORD A BUSH THIRD TERM!! Period. This Romney/Ryan team of clowns will bring us backwards. Just ask Economists!! Even CONSERVATIVE Economists!!

Besides, Romney is the Prince-of-outsourcing. More jobs WILL BE CREATED under the Romney/Ryan clown team. BUT, the jobs will be in ... CHINA!!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Wrong, wrong, wrong,

This is not about supplementing income this is about the state of the economy and what big corporations are doing to avoid paying retirement and pensions to long term workers.

At age 55 is far from collecting SS or pensions in thisdays and time unless you have been working since been a teen

Companies are giving away more of one sum pension deals that most people take in need and leave them pension less and unemployed until they find out that the one sum is not enough and come back as part time workers

Taking into consideration that government employees are the ones targeted in this scam since the 90s.

Most people after 50 are full of medical problems with their allowance of prescribe drugs that they can not afford and are not entitle to Medicare.

Life in America has degraded since the 80s our standards of living deteriorating and the welfare state is growing incredibly.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

That tells me that the older age groups aren't getting enough monthly income from Uncle Sam, so they are having to supplement their income by getting a part time job.

It also says to me that the seniors are willing to take these part time, low paying positions.
edit on 27-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

I fully agree with your points and the last few points made by posters.

Let's be honest and face the facts, whomever we vote for. This issue is critical for if part time jobs are allowed, more employers will opt for this option inorder to buy their lamborghanis and seafront properties around the world.

Part-time jobs are nothing but a crutch for the unconscionable rich and employers to cut on basic entitlements for service to the growth of the company inorder for them to profit more. If you are sick, you are not paid your salary, nor medical costs, and do forget about paid leaves or holidays.

As much as I am gratified by the rise in employment, and seeing more having at least some needed pennies to buy food for oneself and family, this is NOT the way for a nation to progress, prosper and evolve.

It can only be done by sharing, being productive, and rewarding in fair measure to employees who spend their waking hours to slough for the company's profits.

Will the corporations grow some conscience? Most certainly not if they set up shell or front companies in USA offering low wage while their manufacturing had fled to and are in China reaping profits with paying slave wages to the suffering while profitting immensely by selling their china made products to USA tariff and tax free

edit on 27-10-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Part time income also CAN enable the maximum use of income, as in EIC.

Example: young single parent with a couple of children, gets public housing, food stamps, TANF grant. The parent can earn under a certain amount of income before reducing/losing public assistance funds. Public assistance funds are not considered income. If said parent earns $500/mo, when they file taxes, they also get a large EIC check from the IRS. Before anyone rushes out to say it doesn't happen, I know for a fact it does and has been for years. I knew a single gal with 4 kids on public assistance and working part time. She got a raise. She went to payroll and asked for the raise to be removed because it would greatly reduce her public assistance. Yeah, that's only one example. I have always been on the lower end of the pay scale and as such, so are the majority of the people I associate with. I see it all the time.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

It also says to me that the seniors are willing to take these part time, low paying positions.
edit on 27-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

Personally, I think it's great that seniors work, but only if it's because they want to, not because they come up short at the end of the month.

My husbands parents when they were alive, would come up short near the end of the month so we would give them about $300-$400 so they could make it until their checks came.
As with my Mom before she died, at that time no one hired people over 50 years or older.

So, in that respect, I find it great that these places are hiring older people now.

Besides, as TDawgRex & I were saying earlier, it gives them some thing to do besides sit at home.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join