It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hope you've prepared - Sandy

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by detachedindividual

I'm sure you'll all be fine. There probably won't be massive blackouts, flooding or riots... just as there haven't really been any major incidents like that as a result of any other recent storm either!

You may be right.......and my house probably wont burn down.....doesn't mean I'm not insured in case it does!

Absolutely right to prepare, I don't argue with that.

What I do argue with is people creating threads making a storm into a life changing event before it's even hit the coast.

It's Human nature to imagine bad scenarios, it's how we prepare for things. But people on ATS take it to a whole new level.

It serves people to be prepared and give warnings, which the government is doing. It does not serve people to imagine the end of existence because it gets a bit windy.

ATS is full of doom merchants who make every Asian quake into a coming Tsunami, every puff of smoke from a Volcano as a cause for Yellowstone to explode, and every rumble on the West coast of the US as a warning that the Big One is about to hit...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by Argyll

I'm sure you'll all be fine. There probably won't be massive blackouts, flooding or riots... just as there haven't really been any major incidents like that as a result of any other recent storm either!

You may be right.......and my house probably wont burn down.....doesn't mean I'm not insured in case it does!

Absolutely right to prepare, I don't argue with that.

What I do argue with is people creating threads making a storm into a life changing event before it's even hit the coast.

It's Human nature to imagine bad scenarios, it's how we prepare for things. But people on ATS take it to a whole new level.

It serves people to be prepared and give warnings, which the government is doing. It does not serve people to imagine the end of existence because it gets a bit windy.

ATS is full of doom merchants who make every Asian quake into a coming Tsunami, every puff of smoke from a Volcano as a cause for Yellowstone to explode, and every rumble on the West coast of the US as a warning that the Big One is about to hit...

Waiting until it hits "IF IT DOES" may be to late for some.

BTW, they are reporting now that is NOW beginning to hit the coast lines.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I think what is being pointed out to those trying to downplay the severity of the situation, is that it is irresponsible.

By reminding each other of what should be done to prepare, and basing this on a worst-case scenario, those like nixie_nox and others are much more helpful than those who say don't worry it won't be that bad. Proper preparation calls for a full understanding of the worst that could happen, and preparing for that. Anything less is not acceptable. If the worst-case scenario does not play out, then that's good too, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Now, as a widowed mother, who has the primary responsibility for the survival of my family, who's advice would I be better off heeding?

Even though I went food shopping last night, I went out today and got extra propane, filled prescriptions, stopped for a few more things at the food store, and even picked up a couple of small flashlights and batteries (although I was already supplied with those). I also topped off the gas in the car after the errands even though I filled up yesterday. I went out in the yard and put everything loose into the shed, and secured the heavier wooden furniture. Today I also did all the clothes washing and dishes, and dug out some blankets that were stored away and washed those to be fresh. I'd prefer to be prepared than to shrug it off thinking - ohh everyone is saying it won't be too bad.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Just wanted to add to the naysayers that category of hurricane doesnt always correlate to damage.

Its more of a matter of location than it is solely on strength.

There have been tropical storms that have caused more damage than hurricanes.
So plz stop with the "oh its nothing", or the "There are only real storms where I live!"

If some of you have a need to have bad weather on lockdown and somehow own that, that's fine. But please allow people in this thread who are currently going to be affected speak to one another.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by morethanyou

Important point on the documents. PITA to get them replaced. And some have sentimental attachment like birth or marriage certificates. Throw photos in there as well.

That's right. Can you imagine the bureaucracy after one of these monsters?

We have all sat somewhere waiting for red tape under good situations and with ID.
You get the idea about ID.

If you can at all help it, avoid paper images, unless they are old. You cant pack all that with you.
Best option for that is secure it and leave it.

Again, bags are your best friend here.
Take a Rubbermaid container (storage bin), nothing over 25L or it wont go in a bag or knot.
Fill the bin utilizing space, put your name and a contact number on a piece of paper on top, put the lid on then wrap it a few times with tape. You don't want the lids opening, as the sharp edges of the images can tear the bags. So tape em in place.
Place them in bags tie them off tightly, repeat.

If you do not have many paper photos to do up, you can store the finished product in the oven. Secure the oven door. More than likely when the mess gets cleaned up, someone will have found your photos,and if they have not moved then you'll know exactly whereto find your pictures of Granny.

All your trying to do here is preserve something you can not pack with you. And if you do try and pack them with you, you will loose them.

You all should have a plan in place for these little things that are not replaceable. Photos, family heirlooms, etc.

All your digital images should already be on memory sticks and secured zip lock bags, and hidden or secured somehow.

Dopler Radar Image

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
By the way... the reason I got "small" LED flashlights and AAA batteries today was because there are NO C or D batteries to be found ANYWHERE. I think I have enough batteries for our larger flashlights, but I figured it could not hurt to get a couple of more. In each store, there were people at the batteries, shaking their heads in exasperation over lack of stock.

The stores were also almost out of water and there are no generators. The food stores already had some empty shelves and long lines. And this just happened in 2 days of people stocking up.

I actually grabbed that last 2-pack of propane for our heater at Tractor Supply. I asked if they had more, and they did not. While I was walking through the store, a woman asked me where I got the propane, and I told her "sorry it was the last one". Was it silly I kind of held it to my chest when I said that? Probably
But the reality is, when survival supplies become scarce, people can do unpredictable things. Did you ever see those chaotic scenes at stores just because they are having a good sale? Imagine what it would be like in a real SHTF situation, when you are trying to get out with the "last" of something that is scarce? (not that the propane today was like that).

I also went to Home Depot, and they were out of propane too, and mobbed with people buying coolers, plastic, kerosene heaters, and some things that made me wonder "do I need that.... what is it for?" (haha).

Seeing what it is like in a potentially severe situation like this gives us just a glimpse of what would happen if it "really" got bad - as in the whole country having supply issues. It would get scary fast.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The weather models are predicting a somewhat rare blocking ridge pattern that may cause the system to stall over the coastline somewhere.

Prolonged gale force winds and rain cause power outages which are a major PITA.

Real time steering winds

A couple plastic gallons of frozen water will keep freezer contents cold for a couple days.

I'd cook up that expensive frozen stuff early if you don't have a gas stove though.

Battery backups typically only last a few hours.

Gasoline pumps require electricity, so do most credit card processors...

I heard Bloomberg decided not to evacuate the battery, Anyone know the flood risk there?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

Ajah,

When your preparing for these types of things, think back to how they lived 120 years ago. Just before electricity became so popular.

If you purchased flash lights so as your sitting around you'll have light, your going to have problems.

Get to a second hand store, flee market or antique shop even a hardware store and pick yourself up a coal oil lamp. A pack of extra wicks as well. A jug of oil for the lamp. Many oils will soot up badly, you need the correct on for lamps.

Only use the flash lights when absolutely needed.

Only use the lamp in one room. Hey remember those bags? get some over the windows, you do not want to be advertising you have light when so many others may be sitting in darkness.

Being low keyed is so important. Always move low keyed, not flashing lights saying HEY COME TAKE MY STUFF AWAY FROM ME.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Well, it's suppose to directly hit my area. I'm not worried though.
Hell, a few days off work will give me time to let my body rest for once.
Just no power for more than 3 days will be rough, but we got generators and fuel.
The important thing is, even if your not worried at all, be a little prepared at least.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Thank you, that is good advice. I do have a camp light style light, which also runs on batteries and can light up a room. I also have a supply of candles, including one that is supposed to last for 100 hours.

That is good advice about not advertising what we have and covering up the windows.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I hope that everyone fares well during this storm. I have not kept up with it, but heard from someone that there was a bad storm out east. I'm in Colorado so all those things on that list are my normal 'winter' list to keep. Around here you never know when a blizzard will come through and take out power or for how long. Which reminds me, I need to get some more firewood stocked up this week. I don't know how it is there, but here you can go to the city yard waste recycling disposal place and get free firewood if you are willing to chop yourself. People bring in old trees, tree limbs, ect.. so we go down there and chop things up and bring whatever we can home for free. Free firewood is a good thing for Colorado winters!! If the power goes out then I know we will have heat and if it comes to it I can cook in the fireplace in my cast iron dutch oven or skillet if need be.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah

Thank you, that is good advice. I do have a camp light style light, which also runs on batteries and can light up a room. I also have a supply of candles, including one that is supposed to last for 100 hours.

That is good advice about not advertising what we have and covering up the windows.

Hey that's a-ok.

People as a tool.

Before being confronted with a disaster, we should all ask ourselves the following.

Who are we with? Who will we be with? and why do we want to be with them.

This is especially important for single mothers, people who live alone, or the young/elderly.

Facing a disaster alone is rarely a good idea.

Lets take a worst case scenario, where you are alone, scared and vulnerable, and there is a looming threat of chaos. You have no family, or no one to look after your well being.

You should have already sized up the people around you that you know. The neighbors, your friend from Yoga class, people you work with.

You should have discussed whith them the fact you are alone and feeling vulnerable. You should have a plan on whereto head to be with others. You should have something that is valuable for the betterment of the group.

When you whip out your coal oil lantern and light it up and shed some light on the situation, I bet you'll get stars and flags from those around you.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
For living in Wisconsin i'm still scared, think of how this is going to affect the whole east coast! This is going to be a doozy people!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Just came across this, very interesting!
1997 Hurricane Sandy Simulation

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauliflower
The weather models are predicting a somewhat rare blocking ridge pattern that may cause the system to stall over the coastline somewhere.

Prolonged gale force winds and rain cause power outages which are a major PITA.

Real time steering winds

A couple plastic gallons of frozen water will keep freezer contents cold for a couple days.

I'd cook up that expensive frozen stuff early if you don't have a gas stove though.

Battery backups typically only last a few hours.

Gasoline pumps require electricity, so do most credit card processors...

I heard Bloomberg decided not to evacuate the battery, Anyone know the flood risk there?

The two high tides on Monday will be the most critical tides.

Probability of + 3 foot surge :

Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

M 29 Low 2:21 AM 0.1 7:24 AM Set 7:11 AM 99
29 High 8:32 AM 5.4 5:56 PM Rise 5:46 PM
29 Low 2:59 PM 0.1
29 High 8:53 PM 4.7

Tu 30 Low 3:01 AM 0.1 7:25 AM Set 8:09 AM 99
30 High 9:07 AM 5.3 5:54 PM Rise 6:22 PM
30 Low 3:41 PM 0.1
30 High 9:33 PM 4.6

Monday - 8:32 AM and then 8:53 PM are the times to watch for around the Battery NYC
edit on 27-10-2012 by morethanyou because: do u think im stoopid?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Wonder how many planned NDAA executions will take place when the power goes out?
What's taken place worldwide to date should be a wake-up call. Martial Law/Rex84/Agenda21 is planned and at the ready/pending just around your corner. Form emergency community meetings and formulate a plan, an early warning system and a local neighborhood watch/defense strategy.

Lock and load folks and keep those doors locked for when/if they knock (local or foreign troopers); do Not open that door.
Also, there appears to be 100s of thousands of vacancies in the FEMA death camps. Never go williingly.

If they burst in 'without' that warrant, you 'should' know what to do as it is your Right and Duty to do so for yourself, your family and your neighbors. Aim high. This storm has the signature of a HAARP created and steered opportunity in disguise.

edit on 27-10-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Right on the money there. I love it when "3 feet of snow" brings some worlds to a hault. Its been snowing here for 3 days.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I am seeing and reading something totally different, looks like you got the Bloomberg version...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I think that your data you supplied is a little off.
3 ft storm surge?

The flood elevation is a combination of a 6.5 ft storm surge coinciding with the time of a high tide, so slight changes to storm surge timing could help reduce the forecast water level. The forecast flood elevation at Kings Point is still about 13 ft, but it is noteworthy that it would be a 7 ft storm surge that is arriving three hours before the time of high tide, so it could be worse with a slight delay in arrival time.

seaandskyny.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hold on a minute folks, when we had power out for 10 days we never saw the NG but my ex inlaws who lost power for about 45 minutes had them visit twice to see if they needed anything...

My point is that just because NG or others come up to your door in a state of emergency, DONT just shoot first and ask questions later, please contain your paranoia!!!

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join