It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hope you've prepared - Sandy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Folks, I've had a bad feeling about this impending storm for days, at my age you feel it in your bones. The East coast is going to get hammered, maybe as far west as Ohio. We're talking flooding, high winds, extensive power outages and as much as a 10' storm surge.
I've never made a thread about bad weather before but I feel sure this one will be a rough ride and I'd like to think my ATS friends are ready as much as is possible.

Have a backup place to go if you live in a flood-prone area and leave before things get too rough.

Check the forecasts often and get what you need now, waiting might be too late.

Do you have?:
Flashlights
Candles
Batteries
Lamp oil
propane
Ice
Medications
Food
Water
generator/fuel
cards/books/games - no internet!!

Are your gutters clean? Full tank of gas in your car?

Check in with this thread and let everyone know how you've been making out as the storm progresses. They're saying it could last as long as 2 days. Let us know any tips you might have found handy during the storm.

Best of luck everyone, may God watch over you all.
Whatever happens folks, make the best of it -

Asktheanimals

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I just saw a report on the news that power could be out anywhere from 7-10 days. You take a major metropolitan area like New York, Philadelphia, or any other large city along the east coast and I guarantee you after day 3 all hell breaks loose.

Excellent thread. Thanks for reminding those in the path of this storm that it is no joke.

I am in NE Ohio and even we are under the threat of severe weather. Stay safe people.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
All my bug out stuffs dusted and ready to go ....good luck in VA!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'm not near the coast however the eye is supposed to come within a couple miles of where I am. Went and picked up a few extra supplies today and am getting the propane tanks filled tomorrow. Typically the weather doesn't bother me however I've been feeling rather achey all day. I'm hoping its not as bad as they're saying but we will see. I'd rather it be snow!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Excellent thread! As of right now, Sandy is still causing rain in Haiti, as well as raining in North Carolina. The cold front that is moving east that is going to merge with her caused our 79 degree weather here in SE michigan yesterday to drop to 53 today. Plus there is a mass of arctic air shooting straight south. Three masses of energy morphing into one super storm, plus the tidal effects of a full moon is really incredible, with a strong chance of severly disrupting millions of lives on the east coast.

People that are on perishable medications need to really prepare for the worst case.

I hope and pray this storm does not do what most of the computer models are saying and bring multiple days of misery.

Stay safe and prepare people. If it fizzles, well then throw a big party. But if it does what it is forecasted to do, then now is the only chance to get ready.

Peace and good luck

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Good luck to everyone there ... will light some joss sticks and ask the buddhas that it not get that bad over there ...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'm still not convinced that Sandy will be the Frankenstorm they predict it will be; but, currently all of the models are pointing that way. Whoa!

My Survival Tip for Sandy Area Residents - Days BEFORE you pour that last jug of water in preparation, TEST the bathtub and sink drains and repair them if you can. There's not much worse than filling your sinks and tub with water, the storm hits, power goes out and you find your sinks and tubs EMPTY because the water slowly drained away through faulty old tub and sink plugs.

When the tub water freezes into a giant ice cube - what do you do then? I had that happen before too.

Also, I have read you can sterilize water by putting clear plastic soda bottles filled with water in the sunlight for a few days; BUT, that also releases the dioxins in the plastic - so - let that water 'air out' (uncapped) for several hours before drinking it. Better yet, use it for washing dishes and drink properly bottled water.

I thank the OP for making this thread.
edit on 27/10/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I just remembered if you have a chainsaw you might want to make sure it's running and you have extra fuel. The models on this storm are still looking ominous and the biggest problem I can see might be the storm stalling out over land for days and causing severe flooding.

Thanks for the tip on the drain plugs Trexter. Those plugs are only a buck or two so some extras on hand would be a good thing.

Be safe.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here in Florida it was a non-event. A little wind and some rain. Hope you guys up north have similar luck.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yes, This storm is going to be a wild ride... I would also like to add to your list - SOLAR LIGHTS. I have about 20 of them and when the power goes out, I bring them inside at night to light the house, they last through the night which is a bonus when you have children. They also save on gas and the noise of the generator.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thanks for this tip! I totally didn't even think about this and with having big trees around our house, its definitely something that we should have prepped! I'll get my hubby on it as soon as he's home from work.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
This is already a pretty bad storm and if the weather boffins are correct this will get very bad indeed.

I hope the damage isnt too bad or many more lives lost, i dont know anyone on the coast but i know plenty 1000 miles inland, i do hope it dies out fast when it trys to creep inland!

Best of luck riding it out guys
edit on 27-10-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
don't buy anything from the refrigerated section of the market that you won't finish by sunday
cook all the leftovers in the freezer this weekend
catch up on laundry

I work for a propane company. please be very careful about using a temporary or outdoor propane heat source indoors !!!! I have heard stories of people using BBQ grills indoors, construction or "high hat" heaters etc because these don't require electricity to operate

if any heat sources uses a carbon based fuel (propane, butane, oil, natural gas) it needs plenty of oxygen to combust, and the normal products of combustion are heat, moisture and carbon DI oxide. (2 oxy molecules)

WITHOUT ENOUGH OXYGEN YOU WILL CREATE CARBON MONOXIDE

please avoid using an outdoor heater indoors without proper ventilation.

permanently installed appliances have proper exhaust and air intakes

one last note. even when used outdoors, generators can create CO as well, so make sure you point or aim the exhaust away from the house !!!!

stay safe !

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Don't forget stuff like toilet paper to be kept in a waterproof box as its a bit useless once rained on, might also be worth looking at keeping as much stuff as possible sealed in waterproof boxes especially stuff that can't be replaced like photo's/family movies etc/important paperwork faulty

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Here in Florida it was a non-event. A little wind and some rain. Hope you guys up north have similar luck.

Yep, I can confirm this statement.
The worst we had here in Daytona was a little leakage. Roofs aren't designed to keep out sideways rain, and walls ain't built like roofs.
Mostly no big deal. I hope everyone else weathers it in a similar fashion.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I was born in florida myself and went through a cane and it will put the fear in you for sure.

More so than any gov or terror junky.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by tekeen
I was born in florida myself and went through a cane and it will put the fear in you for sure.

More so than any gov or terror junky.

Yeah, a beefy 'cane will definitely earn your respect.
More so than any government or terror junky.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I will add a few comments here myself.

Power will be the issue for most.

Power failures will shut down your communications fairly quickly
Cable networks most likely will fail soon after power outages as they really dont keep up
with battery replacements along the cables so just know that.

Cell towers not on generator backup should last 4-12hours at best. 4-6 is more the norm.

large plastic soda bottles frozen now will help hold your fridge or coolers. I keep at least 8 frozen and
when power goes out move some to your fridge side.

Power inverters DC to AC sold at most auto stores wallymart target bestbuy. a 400 watt unit connected to a cars lighter port and an extension cord will run some lights and maybe a small tv. They come in 100watt to 2000watt so its just your pocket. I have a few and they work for basics. Marine stores might carry larger units
like a xantrex prowatt 2000 pure sinewave. Very good unit and will run a large fridge, LCD tv or computers.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm in South Jersey. We prepped yesterday, and let me tell you, the supermarket was a zoo!! The local Lowes & Home Depot are getting emergency shipments in today of generators, because they are all out. We got our generator from an auto place. So if any of you along the coast can't find what your looking for at the bigger stores, try the smaller stores....good luck, & thanks for starting the thread op.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
For all the people posting that they are in Florida and it was a non-event - the hurricane did not take a direct aim or hit land in Florida at all. This storm is not only taking a direct aim at the northeast it is also combining with another storm / front coming from the west making it even worse. Every one should be prepared.

We live in upstate NY and they are telling us to prepare now because of potential power outages that may last days or even weeks. Hopefully it won't be as bad as they are saying but better to be safe than sorry!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join