It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Scans Can Reveal Your Decisions 7 Seconds Before You “Decide”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

In a kind of spooky experiment, scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences reveal that our decisions are made seconds before we become aware of them. In the study, participants could freely decide if they wanted to press a button with their right or left hand.

The only condition was that they had to remember when they made the decision to either use their right hand or left hand. Using fMRI, researchers would scan the brains of the participants while all of this was going on in order to find out if they could in fact predict which hand the participants would use BEFORE they were consciously aware of the decision.

Who is this "self" I have created?

Who is this self "I" have created?

The only condition was that they had to remember when they made the decision to either use their right hand or left hand.

For the life of "me" I can't remember why "I" chose to come to planet earth.

Can "you" help me ATS?

THE RESULTS

By monitoring the micro patterns of activity in the frontopolar cortex, the researchers could predict which hand the participant would choose 7 SECONDS before the participant was aware of the decision. “Your decisions are strongly prepared by brain activity. By the time consciousness kicks in, most of the work has already been done,” said study co-author John-Dylan Haynes, a Max Planck Institute neuroscientist.

Did I go to the SOURCE?

Or did "I" go to the SOURCE?

I can't remember.

Wish I was one of these!

edit on 26-10-2012 by MyParadoxicalSelf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The reason that you experience your conscious decision (up to) 7 seconds after your brain has decided is that you experience all consciousness as immediate memory, regardless of what it is you are experiencing. This is due to this unique brain/mind coordination of progressive sentience that evolved as the most stable and workable survival strategy possible, considering the complexities inherent with such a sophisticated data management system.

One side effect of this strategic coordination is something called cognitive dissonance. This is when external information that was received by either eyes, nose, ears, touch or taste is prevented from entering the brain's memory cloud upon initial processing, due to severe clashes with a primary tenet of the mind's existence narrative. Its during this "7 seconds" (can be as brief as 1/2 second) that this processing effort is accomplished, and the managed data is then "experienced" consciously by the corporeal "mind".

It's pretty fascinating stuff.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

It's pretty fascinating stuff.

Isn't that the TRUTH.

Thank you saying hello. And for the very interesting information!

new topics

join