It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dinosaurs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hi there all, this is my first post in this forum. I am creating a new post so that some of you veterans of this forum can point me in the direction of some information on my question. I am too lazy(sorry
) to search through all the threads here.

Whether I believe in any God/s is not relevant here, but here goes my question.

Did a God/Gods greate the Dinosaurs? If so are they mentioned in any religous scriptures? What was the reason for their creation? Do any scriptures claim a God/s wipe out the Dinosaurs? If so why?

If they are not mentioned in any writings, why not?

Thanks guys.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

Just guessing wildly... Because there where no archaeologists when either of the ancient text was written?

I dont think we even knew dinosaurs existed 1000 years ago.

But you never know... According to the bible water existed before God. Maybe early dinosaurs (as in sea living types that then migrated on to land) existed in the water. Something to think to about.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
In Job's book chapter 40 in the Bible, you'll find descriptions of some great creature called Behemoth: www.angelfire.com...

... and in chapter 41, there are descriptions of some creature called Leviathan:
www.angelfire.com...

According to the descriptions, they might have been some kind of dinosaurs, although the word 'dinosaur' is not present in the text (because it was invented in the 19th century).

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It has been theorized that many legendary creatures (dragons, Cyclops, etc.) are based on the discovery of fossil bones and skulls in ancient times.

As for why the bible does not mention dinosaurs, well the last dinos died out 65 million years ago, while the oldest books in the bible are a scant few thousand years old.

(and merka, the scientists that study dinosaurs are called �paleontologists� not �archeologists�.
)

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
(and merka, the scientists that study dinosaurs are called �paleontologists� not �archeologists�.
)

Bah, same thing. Dirt movers is what they are.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I think God did create the dinasaurs, in Job it mentions animals that fit the description of dinasaurs.

One thing to consider is that maybe dinasaurs were alive before the flood?? I mean if you talk to any evolutionist they will laugh at the thought of a flood covering the whole earth, most say it only happened in one area like the euphraties flooding , BUT if you consider the idea for a moment that a flood so heavy that covered the entire earth and mountains that happened in 40 days and then suddenly recided again, wouldnt the force of such an event fossilize many creatures??? I mean that much compression in that short time could do it, also there are not that many fossils found to suggest that there were millions of dinasaurs. also isnt carbon dating a bit of a long shot, its not 100% reliable.

so what im saying is that its not just it rained alot but that water came up from the earth and then recided again which would have dragged alot of stuff down with it?? including dinasaurs?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
It is possible the bible is refering to dinosaurs when refering to "leviathan"

However, it is highly unlikely.

-leviathan is described as existing in the same time period as man (2500-5000 years ago)

-leviathan is described as returning to earth in the end times (there are a few dragons mentioned in revelation)

according to my bible, leviathan would be a very large dragon, who sleeps underwater, and doesnt have a finite life span, (however he can be killed)

E_T

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka
I dont think we even knew dinosaurs existed 1000 years ago.

Maybe early dinosaurs (as in sea living types that then migrated on to land) existed in the water.
They have been known about two hundred years.

And dinosaurs lived only on land!
Those big creatures living in water were reptiles.
(my personal favorite of them is Liopleurodon which would eat sharks as snack)

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The Ancients were avid fossil collectors. I have a picture in a book at home that shows a Neanderthal axe including a shell fossil in the blade. The Babylonians were also known to collect fossils. The Chinese collected many "Dragon's bones." Human fascination with fossils goes back quite a ways.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
(my personal favorite of them is Liopleurodon which would eat sharks as snack)

Ah Liopleurodon the largest Carnovire to ever live that was a monster, about 80 feet long weighing 100-150 tons . If any creature ever deserved the name Leviathan that would be it.

E_T I love the described diet of it on the site you provided

"Diet, Any animal in the ocean." so true

[edit on 20-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Did a God/Gods greate the Dinosaurs?

To say the most, no evidence supports this idea.

If so are they mentioned in any religous scriptures?

No.

What was the reason for their creation?

Apparently around the time they started gainig ascendency in the ecosystem the previously dominant primitive reptiles had experience a major die-off. It also looks like a few groups were "experimenting" with the general 'dinosaur' type (it bipedal reptiles), so apparently the ecosystem was putting 'selection pressure" on the different populations f animals for this sort of thing. Dinosaurs apparently did it better than their competitors. But there was no 'reason' for the 'creation'

Do any scriptures claim a God/s wipe out the Dinosaurs?

No. None of them talk about dinosaurs proper existing. Some talk about 'big things', but thats hardly going to mean dinosaurs. Especially since man wasn't around when dinosaurs were around. However some ancient myths do seem to be based on fossil finds. There is a plain in greece that apparently is smoking, its supposed to have to do with either a lava source or I think its that there is a coal/lignite seam under the ground. So the ground appears to be scorhed or something. It also has lots of fossils (like mammoths and large mammals) that could apparently be arranged to look something like giant humans. The story goes that this is where one of the battles of the titanomachy occured, and it still smolders from zeus's thunderbolts and is littered with the corpses of cyclopses and others.

Because no one ever saw them, outside of their remains. Similar to the above, the mythical Griffin is thought to actually be something scythians and other steppes peoples came up with after noticing protoceratops fossils (the bones in the gobi and possibly other parts of the steppes fossilized a bright white, so they are obvious). The griffin and protceratops have four legs, occur underground in associated with gold and gems and have beaks and long tails. The griffin winds are thought to be corruptions/inspirations from teh head frill. Not to easy to serperate things when its a jumbled fossilized skeleton.

merka
as in sea living types

There were no aquatic dinosaurs. Icthyosaurs and plesiosaurs and the like are not dinosaurs (just be to technical anyway)

otherwise
According to the descriptions, they might have been some kind of dinosaurs

I don't see anything about scaly skin or extremely long thin necks. Those descriptions could match so many creatures that they don't seem to be very useful.

tstf
wouldnt the force of such an event fossilize many creatures???

It wouldn't necessarily fossilize anything. It would just kill stuff.

also there are not that many fossils found to suggest that there were millions of dinasaurs

What makes you say that? The process of fossilization seems to be something that will happento a very small percentage of dead bodies. Also, these animals would need a population in order to survive and breed for any length of time.

Shadow, you might be interested in this site's page about liopleurodon.

www.plesiosaur.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Shadow, you might be interested in this site's page about liopleurodon.

www.plesiosaur.com...

Thats very intersting the first I have ever heard of that estimate of liopleurodon's size. 2.5 tons a 60th the size of other claims.

The guy on that site seems to think the larger bones found come from a yet unknown and very large taxon but not Liopleurodon. Very interesting Nygdan.

I cant understand how people could get its size that wrong if this is true. It would be like people claiming T-Rex weighed in at 420 tons when it was really only a 60th that size.

E_T

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction
...wouldnt the force of such an event fossilize many creatures??? I mean that much compression in that short time could do it, also there are not that many fossils found to suggest that there were millions of dinasaurs.

Fossilization takes long time.

And not every dead animal ends up as fossil, it has to be buried fast to soil to prevent scavengers taking it apart.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hmmm,,,Created? Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!Ha!
Where did cavemen come from? Do you really think that a "***" made them too? The evolutionary process that most animals took showed the progression to their present state.
If "****" and "***" were made by "***", in the image that you all think of,
then they must have had UGLY children! and what about all that! Relatives having sex with each other to create more people? Get out!
Willy-nilly creating without thought? Give it a rest, and take a step into the REAL world, and the REAL future! It's time sll this kookery stopped.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
God created everything including dinosaurs. Other forummers have posted the bible verses that could point to dinosaurs.

Gen. 1:24"And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beasts of the earth after his kind: and it was so"

"beasts" could be dinosaurs too.

Why they died? Well their time was up that was ordained by God. I don't know why He did it, hopefully I'll get the chance to ask.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Did a God/Gods greate the Dinosaurs?

If you believe in God, and you believe Dinos once roamed the Earth, then by default you must believe he did. It's all about belief...nobody here can answer that for you.

If so are they mentioned in any religous scriptures? What was the reason for their creation?

You'll see references to dragons, leviathans, etc. all of which Christians have tried to shoehorn to fit dinosaurs, but frankly, no I can think of no scripture which accurately describes or mentions dinos...

Do any scriptures claim a God/s wipe out the Dinosaurs? If so why?

No, nor can I even think of any to stretch and "shoehorn" it to fit...

Because the Bible was written by men, not God, nor was it dictated by God. The extinction of species in general would mean God isn't perfect, if he indeed created all of these beasts, therefore once again the Bible would be in error, as it holds God to be infallable....
Of course, the cop out below could be used...

Why they died? Well their time was up that was ordained by God. I don't know why He did it, hopefully I'll get the chance to ask.

or, put another way, "the Lord works in mysterious ways", the stamp used on anything that refutes what the Bible says....

[edit on 21-10-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
A dragon like creature is mentioned in the Bible in Revelations chapter 4 verse 7

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cearbhall
God created everything including dinosaurs.

Any evidence to support that claim?

Other forummers have posted the bible verses that could point to dinosaurs.

None of those sections indicate dinosaurs other than the thing being 'big'. There were definitly small dinosaurs too. If they were around at the time, one thing I'd expect is for them to be included under kosher-non-kosher. Well that and around 65 million years of extra fossils and actual accurate descriptions of them.

"beasts" could be dinosaurs too.

It could be anything. Plus, this passage tends to distinguish between 'beasts' like mammals and 'crawling things' which usually refers to reptiles. Living dinosaurs would've been something of a confusion for this, since they were reptilian in some characteristics and bestial in others.

Well their time was up that was ordained by God. I don't know why He did it, hopefully I'll get the chance to ask.

Thats a non answer.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If the bible is coherent, then wouldnt that mean humans and dino's lived at the same time???....I find that a little hard to beleive, considering there is no such evidence of this happening. WE wouldnt be at the top of the food chain at the time, would we???...

Have they ever found dino and human fossils together???..

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
A dragon like creature is mentioned in the Bible in Revelations chapter 4 verse 7

Well, yes... but that's a "vision of the future" rather than "information from the past."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join