It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have gone sick - The Challenge - Terrence Mckenna [HQ]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
We have gone sick.

By following a path of untrammeled rationalism,
Male dominance,
Attention to the visible surface of things,
Practicality,
Bottom line-ism.

We have gone very very sick.

And the body politic, like anybody, begins to produce anti bodies. To overcome the condition of disease.

Phenomena as diverse as surrealism, body piercing [snip], experimentalism, [snip], dance, rave culture, tattooing, jazz, the list is endless; what do all these things have in common? They represent various styles of rejection of linear values.

The society is trying to cure itself by an archaic revival.

By a reversion to archaic values.

So when I see people manifesting sexual ambiguity, or scarifying themselves, showing a lot of flesh or getting loaded; I applaud. Because its an impulse to return to what is felt by the body.

Our very being is a world vivifying and invoking a world of conscious living mystery.

The world is not an unsolved problem for scientists or sociologists, the world is a living mystery. Our birth, our death, our being in moment, these are mysteries.

These are doorways. They are opening on to opening on to unimaginable vistas and mysteries. Hope for the human species. Opening unto doorways; and our culture has killed that. Made us products of shoddy ideas and shoddy ideals. We have to get away from that.

And the way to get away from that is to return to the authentic experience of the body, it means sexually empowering ourselves, and it means getting loaded, it means exploring the mind as a tool for personal and social transformation.

The hour is late, the clock is ticking, we will be judged very harshly if we fumble the ball. We are inheritors of millions upon million of years of successfully lived lives, of successfully lived lives and successful adaptations to changing conditions in the natural world.

Now the challenge passes to us; it means that the yet to be born have a place to put their feet and a sky to walk under. And that is what the psychedelic experience is about, it's about producing an experience that honors the past, honors the future and honors the power of the human imagination.

There is nothing as capable of transforming the mind and the planet as the human imagination. Lets not sell it straight. Lets not sell ourselves to nit-wit ideologies, lets not give our control over to the least amongst us,
Rather claim your place in the sun and go forward into the light.

The tools are there.

The path is known.

You simply have to turn your back on a culture that has gone sterile and dead, and get with the program, of a living world.

And a re-empowerment of the imagination.

edit on 26-10-2012 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-10-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

We have been sick for a long long time, the system itself is sickness. Not just the one we live in at the moment but where it stems from its root. This system is in place so we can learn what is not healthy, what is not free and that which is not beneficial. It is learning through negative experience, this is not the real show it is practice. Practical ice equals almost dead matter,it differs by one major factor. That is it still contains potential to burst in to life, to brake free from the imposed state of hypnotic sleepiness. Let us brake free from that.

edit on 26-10-2012 by ancientthunder because: remove uneeded words

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Thanks, OP. I am a HUGE Terrence fan and, yet, I don't remember hearing this before.

As usual, I think he is right on. Wish he was still around...

People who have awakened know what's right and what they need to do CONSCIOUSLY.

The others - the dumbed down, the numb, those asleep, the sheeple (bless their hearts) - also know what to do but it is long buried in their subconscious.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by capod2t
Thanks, OP. I am a HUGE Terrence fan and, yet, I don't remember hearing this before.

It's excerpted from his much longer two hour talk "Eros And The Eschaton - What Science Forgot", and in my opinion the best talk he has ever given.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
At one point, I had ammased every single video, mp3 and book by McKenna.

I also had the original DOS TWZ software. I used it to predict the market crash in 2008 before it happened. One of the only "predictions" I've seen in 6 years here that came true.

I also haven't heard this one before -- lots of his stuff gets put online and later lost

It's hard on ATS to discuss McKenna because of his aversion to....

Try and keep anything illegal out of this discussion and I think we'll be OK.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroomIt's hard on ATS to discuss McKenna because of his aversion to....

It's extremely hard not to! But so far I am doing very well.

So may this trend continue.

Mckenna really was the visionary of this century. Such a shame he got diagnosed with a brain tumor in 1999 and left us shortly after

Even prominent mathematicians and respected scientists at very prominent institutions were fascinated by his talks and world experiences.

I can link to many many talks of his that are of such great importance to science and philosophy.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
At one point, I had ammased every single video, mp3 and book by McKenna.

Do you know anyone that does similar talks to Mckenna nowadays?

I miss his input so much.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
This is completely misquoted from Terence McKenna and the most awesome parts of the quote left out and changed into something he didn't even say. This is the true quote. How dare you misquote the greatest philosopher who ever lived.

We have gone sick by following a path of untrammeled rationalism, male dominance, attention to the visible surface of things, practicality, and bottomlineism.

We have gone very, very sick.

And the body politic, like any body when it feels itself to be sick, it begins to produce antibodies or strategies for over coming the condition of dis-ease.

The 20th century is an enormous effort at self-healing. Phenomenon as diverse as surrealism, body piercing, psychedelic drug use, sexual permissiveness, jazz, experimental dance, rave culture, tattooing. The list is endless.

What do all these things have in common?

They represent various styles of rejection of linear values.

The society is trying to cure itself by an archaic revival. By a reversion to arachaic values.

When I see people manifesting sexual ambiguity, or scarifying themselves, or showing a lot of flesh, or dancing to synopicated music, or getting loaded, or violating ordinary cannons of sexual behavior, I applaud all of this.

Because it’s an impulse to return to what is felt by the body.

What is authentic.

What is archaic.

When you tease apart these archaic impulses at the very center of all these impulses is the desire to return to a world of magical empowerment of feeling.

At the center of that impulse is the shaman. Stoned. Intoxicated on plants. Speaking with the spirit helpers. Dancing in the moonlight. Vivifying and evoking a world of conscious living mystery. That's what the world is.

The world is not an unsolved problem for scientists or sociologists.

The world is a living mystery.

Our birth, our death, our being in the moment. These are mysteries. They are doorways, opening on to unimaginable vistas of self-exploration, empowerment, and hope for the human enterprise.

Our culture has killed that. Taken it away from us. Made us consumers of shoddy products and shoddier ideals. We have to get away from that. And the way to get away from it is by a return to the authentic experience of the body. And that means sexually empowering ourselves. And it means getting loaded. Exploring the mind as a tool for personal and social transformation.

The hour is late. The clock is ticking.

We will be judged very harshly if we fumble the ball. We are the inheritors of millions and millions of years of successfully lived lives and successful adaptations to changing conditions in the natural world. Now that challenge passes to us: the living.

That the yet to be born may have a place to put their feet and a sky to walk under. That is what the psychedelic experience is about. Is caring for, empowering, and building a future that honors the past, honors the planet, honors the power of the human imagination.

There is nothing as powerful and as capable of transforming itself and the planet as the human imagination.

Let's not sell it straight. Lets not whore ourselves to nit wit ideologies.

Lets not give our control over to the least among us.

Rather, claim your place in the sun and go forward into the light.

The tools are there.

The path is known.

You simply have to turn your back on a culture that has gone sterile and dead and get with the program of a living world and an reempowerment of the imagination."

edit on 21-8-2014 by justinkl74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join