It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sig Sauer M400 Tactical Carbine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by NLDelta9

An ambidextrous charging handle and a spring loaded ejection port cover is great.

But I have seen some seriously provocative reviews on why this weapon and it's manufacturer should be treated with skepticism.

This link has an in depth review of the weapon

Somebody likes ADCOR? Wow!

I had a buddy of mine try to sell me his BEAR....some buddy.

We took it out to the range and proceeded to have multiple problems. Ejection and feeding...probably due to the rounds which were British NATO. But I didn't have those problems with my old Bushmaster using the same rounds.

I offered him $500.00 as it would take quite a bit of tweaking the weapon to make it reliable. That costs money. Of course he refused, but now it is his problem. Not mine.

anyone could say the same about a Bushmaster which has very bad reputation
Both are obviously great guns though with the BEAR having the most unique features that really make sense.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

It has documented reliability issues. Documented production problems that they are unwilling to correct. Documented poor customer service.

Sorry but you are defending a lame weapon with a hefty price tag.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Bushmaster is a terrible company and I wish they had never been given the contract to produce the ACR for the civilian market.

They took a great concept and made it a pile a crap.

Remington is producing the ACR for the military and LEO community and it has done a great job producing essentially the same rifle with none of the issues.

Every weapon may have it's issues, but any company that refuses to address them is in the same boat as Hi-Point.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Bushmaster is a terrible company and I wish they had never been given the contract to produce the ACR for the civilian market.

They took a great concept and made it a pile a crap.

Remington is producing the ACR for the military and LEO community and it has done a great job producing essentially the same rifle with none of the issues.

Every weapon may have it's issues, but any company that refuses to address them is in the same boat as Hi-Point.

The ACR is no cheap rifle too with wiki saying launched at $2,685–$3,061.00
I think the standard M4 shape just has to stay given all the accessories and matching parts.

Those problems in that thread don't seem significant to me and could even be his own problem or faulty gun.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Yep, I concur. I sold my Bushmaster and will never purchase another.

But my friends BEAR had even more problems.

I am a fanboy of 7.62/.308 and love the M1A. Heavy but reliable.

But if I were to get another 5.56/.223 and had the money it would be a POF.
( I think that my money would be spent better elsewhere.
)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

reply to post by DriCo04

I've tested many weapons and have done a lot of extensive research.

The results, as far as I'm concerned, speak for themselves.

When it comes down to it poor maintenance discipline is the number one cause of failures. However there are many common failures to the AR platform. They are not 'myths'. Having dealt with military and civilian versions of these weapons I can tell you first hand that some weapons cant handle certain ammo, they overheat, they have overpressure malfunctions. It happens. Using a crap load of froglube ain't gonna mitigate those failures.
edit on 28-10-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

So because you've had no problems with your Sig Sauer means that your "testing" and "research" is the 100% definitive answer? I'm not just repeating what I've read elsewhere, sorry to say. The so called "military versions" are the same Colt 6920 you can buy at Wal-Mart, only they are on a select fire lower, which is nearly identical also. Some weapons may not like certain ammo but it's typically weaker pressure .223 such as PMC, Wolf, Tula, etc and all you need to do is swap for a lighter or heavier buffer, depending on the size of your barrel's gas port and what you're using for ammo.

AR15's do not over heat, unless you're putting excessive rounds through the weapon at a very fast pace, and shooting in semi auto makes this a non issue. If you're shooting any weapon excessively on full auto you have the chance of melting the barrel, gas tube, etc. What I'm trying to say is as long as you're knowledgeable about the AR15/M4 platform then failures are not common. 99% of malfunctions with the platform are caused by the end user; things like poor maintenance, using incorrect buffer, misaligned gas tube/gas block, bad extractor spring, o-ring, leaking gas key, etc.

If you're shooting a quality weapon that is built to spec (which the Sig M400 is), shooting proper ammo such as XM193 / M855 5.56, using quality lubrication (Remoil does not count), and using quality magazines (Pmags, Troy Battlemags, etc) then there is no reason for failure. The platform is not rocket science and it's generally pretty easy to diagnose a failure.

What I'm trying to say is the platform being unreliable or having common failures is a MYTH and only happens when you're not knowledgeable on the weapon.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The best thing you could ever buy for any AR15 variant is a White Oak Armament barrel with their Wylde Chamber.

THE most accurate AR15 barrel ever made. There are none better. The Sig AR15 looks pretty, it would still take some money to get a good barrel for it to make the little varmint round a tack driver.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If you want to play around with the AR platform and not have persistent malfunction issues, I firmly believe that you have to build them from parts yourself, with your own tools. You have to troubleshoot your own problems, and fix them yourself so that you understand every component and how it interacts with all the other components in the platform. It will take you a little while, but it will be well worth it.

I built mine for under 1200 (including an aimpoint 7000sc used on ebay), and it is deadly accurate, has quick release everything, all major accessories, DD barrel, FF Rifle length guard over low profile Gas block, etc..., anti walk pins, etc...

Had occasional little issues while everything was getting broken in, but since I installed everything, tweaking/solving the problems was easy and enjoyable.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
the innovations you speak of arent relatively new, troy makes an ambi mag release, there are far better bolts out there, fail zero, lmt, both have magnificent chrome nickle bcg's and bolts, ive got an lmt bolt in my 7.62x39 ar15, the lugs have relief cuts in them so that the tapered case dosnt stress the lugs to breaking (ive broken lugs on standard bolts before) it has a dual spring extractor (lobster tail) and is rather robust for just a bolt, buy a upper and lower combo, throw these two parts on there and youve got your sig. also, if fde is your thing, you can have the upper and lower receivers cerakote'd or duracoat'd and then buy the magpul furniture seperately while doing your build, ar15's are like legos, you have so many options and often times you can build a serious ar cheaper than an already assembled one

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
OP thanks for this thread.
I own two sig p220 (45 cal) one a combat and the other is a stainless. i love the brand and build.
looking to step into an m400 soon, but I can't believe they are so cheap.
I paid $1156.00 for both of my sig pistols, and you can get an AR for less or same amount? wow.
sold.
thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by voiceoreason
If you want to play around with the AR platform and not have persistent malfunction issues, I firmly believe that you have to build them from parts yourself, with your own tools. You have to troubleshoot your own problems, and fix them yourself so that you understand every component and how it interacts with all the other components in the platform. It will take you a little while, but it will be well worth it.

I built mine for under 1200 (including an aimpoint 7000sc used on ebay), and it is deadly accurate, has quick release everything, all major accessories, DD barrel, FF Rifle length guard over low profile Gas block, etc..., anti walk pins, etc...

Had occasional little issues while everything was getting broken in, but since I installed everything, tweaking/solving the problems was easy and enjoyable.

I have to disagree I have a Knights Arms Sr-15 and it is the best shooting AR money can buy. Laure,Noveske,Bravo all make great factory ready guns.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join