It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hermit Crabs Form Gangs To Kick Out Owners, Steal Most Desirable Real Estate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Interesting peek into nature.. Never ceases to amaze me.

The gang, all get to move up a step on the shell ladder after they kick the large one out. Amazing..

Nothing more to say, but I wanted to let the members check out this story..

www.geekosystem.com

Life in the wilderness — be it tundra, forest or beach — is no bowl of cherries. Hermit crabs, though, make things extra tough on one another. Always on the lookout for a new home, smaller hermit crabs will form gangs to kick their larger kin out of the big comfy shells they’re residing in.

related article can be found here:

www.eurekalert.org...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
lolllllllllll

I used to have hermit crabs, they're really interesting animals.

Reading this made me smile

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Forced eviction!Happens in human world too.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
lol when masses of poor people start stealing large homes from rich people I will call it a "hermit crab eviction".

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

From your source:

Rather than look for a big shell that’s unoccupied, smaller hermits take a more bullying track — look for another crab wearing a big shell already, and then take his. To do that, though, the hermits need to do something very un-hermit-like and assemble a posse. That posse then forms a congo line, from largest to smallest crabs, which works as one unit, eventually tugging the largest crab out of its shell. Once the largest shell is open, its a free for all, with every crab scrambling to get into the largest shell available to them while leaving the unsuspecting crab that’s just been evicted out in the cold, an easy meal for anything that eats hermit crabs on a beach where things that eat hermit crabs are pretty much the rule.

The damn things sound pretty human like to me.

This reminds me of a time I was walking around an island in the Bahama's off the beaten path, with no shoes....the tide came in and these things were all around me, and attacking my feet unmercifully. Those pinchers really hurt.

Don't ever go mucking about in the Carribean without shoes! These things don't like anything else in their territory!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I might have decided to break out some old bay seasoning and steamer

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
lol when masses of poor people start stealing large homes from rich people I will call it a "hermit crab eviction".

You could be on to something here.

I'd love to see video of this. Er.. the crabs, not the humans.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
You know what they say about real estate, location, location, location.
Vicious lil' beasties. They must communicate with one another to set up such a raid. Interesting.

new topics

top topics

join