It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of Agriculture May Be Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Pretty interesting concept. Definitely worthwhile for bustling cities of the world. Would love to see it become a reality in the US.

The idea is flowering in many forms. There's the 12-story triangular building going up in Sweden, where plants will travel on tracks from the top floor to the bottom to take advantage of sunlight and make harvesting easier. Then there's the onetime meatpacking plant in Chicago where vegetables are grown on floating rafts, nourished by waste from nearby fish tanks. And the farms dotted across the U.S. that hang their crops in the air, spraying the roots with nutrients, so they don't have to bring in soil or water tanks for the plants.

Click on the 'interactive graphics' for images.
LINK
edit on 26-10-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I didn't quite finish the article. All the climate related, UN-driven BS put me off.

LOVE the idea, though it's hardly new, and surely wasn't "invented" by someone in 1999. Hell, we were growing stuff "vertically" 30+ years ago in our garden when I was a kid. Any gardener knows that growing as much as you can off the ground helps save your plants from pests which would otherwise be scrawling and munching away at your food if it were left to grow near the ground.

I'm doing this inside this winter. I've acquired a bunch of used shipping pallets. Will be using them as vertical planters for some herbs and such.

new topics

join