It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your opinion of Anonymous?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

It's something I've been conflicted about for a while now. I'm not sure whether I support them or not.

Do you consider them Internet bandits or masked superheroes?

Sure they speak for the "collective" but is the collective always right? History is filled with countless self-righteous mobs seeking justice for what was deemed 'evil' by that times standards, but today we consider them to have been cruel and ignorant.

In my opinion it sometimes seems like Anonymous is nothing but a tool of vengeance for the public. Does it really serve as deterrent against pedophiles, corporate greed, dictators or whatever other evil they so righteously fight against or seek to prohibit?

Not to mention those in their own ranks who has has fallen victim to betrayal. Most of the time these are young teenagers unable to comprehend the implications of their actions.

Sure, call me a "moralfag" but is my view really so unfair?

Don't get me wrong. I support the same causes, think we all do, but those are big companies and governments in most cases; however, what bothers me is when they target the individual.

You could argue that it goes against the individual's fundamental rights when he becomes the recipient of Anon's brand of justice as it can be considered cruel, degrading and arbitrary by most standards. That's when he becomes the victim of a society more focused on GETTING EVEN with those they consider immoral instead of preventing those actions.

It all seems almost as uncivilized/ignorant as those who burned witches and warlocks or anything else which went against the church's doctrine.

Surely we have come further as a society?

That I do not support as I doubt their comprehension of what is considered morally just and morally wrong.

Guess all I'm saying is that even Anonymous' actions should be put under the same scrutiny as that of the government.

edit on 26-10-2012 by DariusHames because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
There is a big problem with anonymous, everyone can be anonymous. There are absolutely no rules within anonymous what people who call themselves anonymous can and cannot do.
When they all are inviduals and work their tricks from their own personal agenda and targets they can actually harm for example healtcare etc.
When they attack the dirt of society i can agree with them, when they attack system i hope they have considered every aspect specially when something will go wrong. But as stated they are all inviduals and not really a member of anything, S**T can happen.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DariusHames

I remain highly suspicious of anything they put out.

Especially after their apparent leaders were arrested by the FBI in June 2011..................

Top members of computer hacking groups Anonymous and LulzSec have been arrested across two continents after their leader - one of the world's most wanted computer vandals - turned them in. In a startling show of betrayal towards his fellow hackers, 28-year-old Hector Xavier Monsegur led authorities to the five people who have now been charged in court papers in New York. Dad-of-two Monsegur, who has pleaded guilty to a dozen hacking-related charges, is portrayed in court papers as the ringleader of LulzSec, and an 'influential member' of Anonymous. Ever since his arrest last June, he has reportedly been working with authorities to bring down the groups' top hackers. www.dailymail.co.uk...

Unfortunately the group has fallen on its own sword.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Anonymous are a bunch of punks, and posers for the most part, they pretend to be "white hats" and doing the right things for the right causes. They are not doing either, they are simply stroking their own egos, and getting almost 300 kids "skids" ( script kiddies) thrown in jail so far, while they don't suffer the consequences.

What kind of "good guys" let little kids take the fall for their actions? Talking the young and naive into following in their plans, and letting them deal with the results.

Not to mention many of their other known defects of course, they are many, I will link you the proof.

download.adamas.ai...

This was all relesed by Br1ckSqu4d a couple of months ago, to let them know that their crimes against the weak have not gone unnoticed, and are not appreciated, nor is the extra scrutiny they are bringing down on the webs happily unobserved underside.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Yes the leaders...

yes.. what ever did happen to paul carnes.. he was the leader of anon too..

it's tiring reading the same erroneous claims about this group. "leaders".. they DONT HAVE ANY LEADERS.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Just because the do not claim to have any leaders does not mean there are those amongst them with the ability to shift opinion, and usually these are also the same with a better understanding of whole hacker/cracker scene than most.

You must understand that most of those who end up supporting them are script kiddes who are supplied tool by those I just mentioned.

There are real kids who did not understand the implications of programs they're using in order to launch DDOS attacks. Good example is the Low Orbital Ion Canon (LOIC) which when not used with TOR or some other method of disguising your IP address could get you into DEEEP Sh.... Which happened to a few unlucky people.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

A bunch of head-less internauts who are sick of everything. Seems to me just like the face of anarchism. They want to bomb something if Romney wins. They are just out of control, capable of carrying the same heart-less plans as the governments are. I think they are people who just want to strike terror, just as any terrorists would do. Real heroes do not toy with human life, and use bombs to scare people's elections. Anonymous does.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Meh. Botnet herders need both scapegoats and bots. Supply and demand.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The Gospel of Mark, 5:9, describes the following in the country of the Gadarenes:
And He (Jesus) asked him (the man), "What is thy name?" And he answered, saying, "My name is Legion: for we are many."[1]
The Gospel of Luke, Luke 8:30, describes the following in the country of the Gadarenes:
And Jesus asked him, saying, "What is thy name?" And he said, "Legion": because many devils were entered into him.[2]

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's a non issue.

Anyone could claim to be anonymous, for better or worse.

Anonymous as an organization does not exist.

top topics

join