It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is You Reaction To This Poster? ["Some People Are Gay. Get Over It!]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I was at some traffic lights today when a bus went past with the following poster-

Initially, I didn't know how to respond. I guess the message is trying to promote tolerance to gay people but it never had that impact on me. After a few minutes of contemplation, I found it borderline offensive- the poster is telling me what to think and assuming I have an issue with something I do not. Surely, I am able to make my own mind up over something like this?

The 'Get Over It!' complete with '!' for attitude is almost confrontational.

The poster is telling me to 'get over' something I wasn't even thinking about, the poster thus forces an opinion on you completely out of nowhere. People are free to be gay, but do I need to be driving my car and see a poster telling me to 'Get over' something I'm not even concerned about?

The slogan turns out to have been designed back in 2007 by school kids to start a 'zero tolerance' campaign towards homophobia. I would argue that is a noble cause in terms of people having the right to be what they are amongst two consenting people, but surely this poster is going about it all wrong?

If you have someone who is homophobic, then if they see this poster it's not going to change their opinion, in many ways it would strengthen their view- trying to impose how someone thinks is not how a democratic society should be IMO.

What is your reaction to such a poster?

edit on 26-10-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

I think it pretty much says it all. I am from NY however, and we really don't pussy foot, or beat around the bush. Not intending any kind of a pun with that expression either. And I'd like to S&F you for the thread but I really don't know how you feel and surely it depends on that. Are you for civil rights for all people, or only for most people?

edit on 26-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Actually, it doesn't bother me at all. That is because I am over it. You may as well try and get me upset by saying some people have brown eyes. Okay, and?

The reason I am not bothered is that I don't see as targeted towards me. I've made the choice that it does not pertain to me. It is like anything else, we choose what offends us. I choose to not be offended.

link   

I found it borderline offensive- the poster is telling me what to think. Surely, I am able to make my own mind up over something like this?

Well with the introduction of discrimination laws, we are continuously told how to think, so it's not something that is surprising.

However, I wonder if the statement read 'most people are hetrosexual get over it' it would not be deemed to be offensive to the gay community?

All I can think is ' some people are gay? so, what!!'

+11 more 
link   
My reaction ? I'm only wondering why a certain group of human beings, with a certain sexual preference, have to get in my face with it 24/7. I'm not rubbing my heterosexuality into the homos faces on a daily base either, do I ?

And on a second thought: All these campaigns do certainly cost a bunch of bucks, so I'm wondering who is paying for all of these, and whom does it benefit ? I smell an agenda here ...

Other than that ? I couldn't care less what someone does in their bedrooms behind closed doors and never have.
edit on 26-10-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: typ0

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'd ask it another way.... If My bus had a sign "Some people don't accept gays: get over it!" would it be offensive? It's simply stating the opinion of the "other side" . Nothing more said....but as the OP says, so much implied by the choice of words and arrangement.

It's obviously trying for confrontational without being outwardly combative. They succeeded.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I agree with the statement. And also, I would like to see notices on bus's and public places telling us our governments and courts are corrupt, to live each moment from the heart and create the Euotpia, Eden, Equality here and now and help all in need. No left or right politics, just the right thing all the time, without any slavery.

Truth all around us for a change.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
doesn't bother me at all. it would have been kool if there were a pic of 2 hot ladies making out.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

I found it borderline offensive- the poster is telling me what to think. Surely, I am able to make my own mind up over something like this?

Well with the introduction of discrimination laws, we are continuously told how to think, so it's not something that is surprising.

However, I wonder if the statement read 'most people are hetrosexual get over it' it would not be deemed to be offensive to the gay community?

All I can think is ' some people are gay? so, what!!'

"Some people are Gay, so What!"

You're a genius, that's just so much better because I can agree with that 100%.

Saying 'Get Over It' is counter productive IMO.

Nice post

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I think it pretty much says it all. I am from NY however, and we really don't pussy foot, or beat around the bush. Not intending any kind of a pun with that expression either. And I'd like to S&F you for the thread but I really don't know how you feel and surely it depends on that. Are you for civil rights for all people, or only for most people?

edit on 26-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

I am civil rights for everyone, I just think the way this poster is worded is counter productive, I found it offensive not because I am homophobic, but rather it is telling me to 'get over' something that is not an issue to me.

The other posters suggestion over 'Some people are Gay. So what?'- now that is a lot more effective because rightly so, if someone is gay, so what? We don't need to be told to 'get over it', which creates a divide just by it's statement IMO.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

doesn't bother me at all. it would have been kool if there were a pic of 2 hot ladies making out.

What if it were two guys making out?

Be honest.

What if you were flipping through your TV channels and turned on Real Sex on HBO only to see two guys going at it?

Would you be offended then?

Dont lie.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

What bothers me more is that they are bringing kids into this who are supposed to be learning real life skills and education. Not serving some political left wing homosexual agenda.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It's not a positive step. It tries to force a mindset that can't be forced. I would see any agenda that tells you how to think as being counter-productive. A positive message about homosexuals would be more effective than the implied negative message about the person reading the sign.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
And some people will never accept you for it, YOU get over it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

we live in the year 2012. People have been gay since???????????

I do object to this kind of statement being needed for tolerance.

Like I said, what year is it?

Why should something that has existed for ever need this kind of statement?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I am all for equality and don't have a judgmental bone in my body. However I am really sick and tired of people forcing their beliefs on others. For equality or not. All these womens rights and gay rights campaigns. Good lord. There will always be groups... LARGE groups of people who are anti something. So just let them be anti whatever and you just keep doing you.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It's how life is.

And it's just a poster.

I often see religious banners, or posters saying Jesus is Life etc.

After all guys # girls, girls # guys, guys # guys, girls # girls and the threesomes and the foursomes, guy,girl,guy girl,guy,girl etc.

It's how life is, it happens it is life.

Deal with it.

Maybe you need to experiment a bit.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

But advertisements for products tell you everything every day. Your feet stink, you're fat, poor, incontinent and impotent, you have to buy this or you are not going to be that. It is a visual onslaught of orders and suggestions to take actions that will probably in the long run do you more harm than good. All that visual pollution is OK? Not offensive or an intrusion? What about an ad that tells us abortion is wrong. We see those too. It is a moral issue and I guess evidence of free speech in action.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

What bothers me more is that they are bringing kids into this who are supposed to be learning real life skills and education. Not serving some political left wing homosexual agenda.

Thats right.

We are serving the "straight" agenda...!

...with a side of mashed potatoes.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Some of us are straight and find gay sex repugnant. Get over it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join