It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Possibly a tradeoff ? Bring energy sector jobs for shipping few automobile jobs overseas? At this stage it is only an announcement by Jeep's executive. This should go down very well with the Unions and especially the OHIO voters. Could it also be the case that the Jeep Executive himself is not happy with the POTUS and broke the possibility to Bloomberg?

In another potential blow for the president's Ohio reelection campaign, Jeep, the rugged brand President Obama once said symbolized American freedom, is considering giving up on the United States and shifting production to China.......

Well it appears that the taxpayer bailed-out Chrysler is looking back and now considering cutting costs by shifting production of all Jeeps to China, which has a strong desire for Jeeps.

In a Bloomberg interview, Jeep's president said the automaker plans to restore Jeep production in China, suspended in 2009, and is considering making all Jeeps in China. "Fiat SpA, majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers' operations in the region," reported the business wire service.

LINK
Your thoughts/comments/viewpoints/opinions please.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This shows more for our economic situation than the political. If Obama was truly the root cause of the problem, then why wouldn't they just wait and see of Romney was elected?

They know that either way it doesn't matter. The economy cannot support itself much longer in it's current state and it's best to take their company to a place that has a better environment to prosper. Unfortunately, China has a lot to offer and since our politicians can't get their head out of their asses, our American jobs are going to the Chinese.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well, my thoughts are that I won't buy another Jeep. But, I was considering NOT buying another one.

I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, and I've been fairly happy with it. It still runs and looks good, but I've had a problem with the heat/ac for quite a few years. The problem is with the control head....and Jeep has no solution for it.

I wrote to Jeep telling them that I am not happy with their service...that I was considering buying a new one, but wanted a solution to this problem. I also complained to them that I took the Jeep to my local dealer, told them where the problem was and for it to be fixed. I was charged 89 dollars for them to tell me what I had told them when I brought the Jeep in for repairs.

I received no response from Jeep. So I wrote again telling them that if this is how they are going to treat their customers that I'll look to an alternative manufacturer for my next vehicle. Still no response.

So, as far as I am concerned, forget Jeep. And now that the manufacturing is moving to China...I will certainly not buy another one. I have no doubt the quality will decrease.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Agree. I had a 1960 CJ3B which I sold it recently. Pure all american simple engineering. Can't get that anymore. However CHRYSLER is the problem where they have a bad engineering department (mostly outsourced engineers) and ofcourse it starts from the management. They use tonnes of faulty sensors and components that it becomes a money pit after a few years. Would love to get a fully restored MB someday

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
This shows more for our economic situation than the political. If Obama was truly the root cause of the problem, then why wouldn't they just wait and see of Romney was elected?

They know that either way it doesn't matter. The economy cannot support itself much longer in it's current state and it's best to take their company to a place that has a better environment to prosper. Unfortunately, China has a lot to offer and since our politicians can't get their head out of their asses, our American jobs are going to the Chinese.
Agree. Exactly why the POTUS shouldn't make empty promises to the voters that we will bring manufacturing jobs back to US shores and blah blah blah. With Romney, it is a given that he comes from a business background and it is part of the business/economic equation based upon the unfortunate but sad reality of US economy. Ofcourse businesses focus on ROI and Returns to the stock/share holders as that is what anyone would expect on their investments. How can a company provide just that if our UNION workers (for the most part) lack work ethics with respect to QUALITY? Take the case of BMW which does not have a union in the US yet the quality of cars are still maintained just the same as other Japanese manufacturers that manufacture/assemble them in US. In reality, it is the economic situation that is forcing anyone(Republican/Democrat/Independents) to make such a trade decision.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Regardless of how this affects Obama, it would CRUSH Jeep! Jeep enthusiasts will NOT buy Chinese Jeeps. I have owned 4, and I currently own a 2011 Wrangler, and the quality in 2011 is nothing like it has been in the past. I won't buy a new jeep again, I'll stick to the 70s and 80s models. If they move production overseas, it will just reinforce that sentiment even more. All the jeep enthusiasts I know would feel the same way.

Surely Jeep has focus groups and marketing firms, and surely they will put out some feelers to guage the impact on sales before they do something stupid like this?

Actually, the more that I think about it, hell let them move! The Used Jeep business will go through the roof, and maybe I can make a few bucks buying and selling old Jeeps! The New Jeep business will be dead in the water. Maybe this would actually be a good thing for me, LOL!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I would not go as far as to blame the Unions for lack of quality or work ethics.

As an Executive Chef, I know that the quality of the food we produce and the work my people do is completely based on how I lead.

If I purchase less then acceptable products to build a meal, and if I do not lead by example by getting in the trenches with my people, it will affect the final product.

So I would blame the people at the top of Jeep that are making bad decisions that compromise the quality of the product. The Union people on the lines are just doing as they are told.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by hp1229

Regardless of how this affects Obama, it would CRUSH Jeep! Jeep enthusiasts will NOT buy Chinese Jeeps. I have owned 4, and I currently own a 2011 Wrangler, and the quality in 2011 is nothing like it has been in the past. I won't buy a new jeep again, I'll stick to the 70s and 80s models. If they move production overseas, it will just reinforce that sentiment even more. All the jeep enthusiasts I know would feel the same way.

True. At the same time, I know for sure that the Chinese auto industry has been lobbying heavily to penetrate the US market for a long time. They openly do not market or advertise their 2 wheelers in US but they do sell them through small distributors. I bet they'll use the opportunity (should jeep finalize the deal) to inject few chinese models/versions of the jeep back into the US market. I agree about the 2nd hand used jeep value going up
Too bad I just sold my 1960 CJ3B.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by hp1229

I would not go as far as to blame the Unions for lack of quality or work ethics.

As an Executive Chef, I know that the quality of the food we produce and the work my people do is completely based on how I lead.

If I purchase less then acceptable products to build a meal, and if I do not lead by example by getting in the trenches with my people, it will affect the final product.

So I would blame the people at the top of Jeep that are making bad decisions that compromise the quality of the product. The Union people on the lines are just doing as they are told.
Ideally speaking yes it would make sense. But I have worked for union back when I used to attend college (80's). I was instructed by the union to stick to the quota and do not work or increase the output. At the same time, I have witnessed workers with the lowest technical skills working on the assembly line (Westinghouse) who couldn't care less what was expected. The only thing mattered was the union representative and ofcourse the time cards even though the management's quality expectations were up there. The result was rejected product from the retailers months after they were shipped off the assembly line.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

In a Bloomberg interview, Jeep's president said the automaker plans to restore Jeep production in China, suspended in 2009, and is considering making all Jeeps in China. "Fiat SpA, majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers' operations in the region," reported the business wire service.

heads up....Apparently production was going on back in 2009...

I believe China products suck and so does Walmart...and American's want Made IN America products....They'll be back...once their there profits take a hit and they realize no one wants Cheap, Poisionous, Child labor China products...They'll be back.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
General Motors years ago sent a military humvee to China for them to try, trying to get them to order some.

China took it apart and copied every single piece. Made their own. They even made it better by changing the motor over to a Cummins and putting a 5 speed stick transmission behind it. The Chinese Humvee will outrun, outpull, and gets twice the fuel mileage of an American military humvee.

China laughed at General Motors. I don't think America ever did get that first Humvee back or even paid for it.

Sure send Jeeps to China Obama...see how that works out for ya. LOL!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm a huge fan of Jeep. Not anymore, should they move. I've only owned a foreign car one time in my life. I want my money to benefit our hardworking Americans. I've had three Jeeps in the past. My very next purchase was going to be a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited next year. Guess I'll go back to Ford. Yeah, I realize that most car parts are made overseas. Very frustrating.

Interesting.........just after this post, all I see is Ford banners and avderts. Crazy world we live in.
edit on 29-10-2012 by SinMaker because: P.S.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Fiat CEO, Sergio Marchionne, to make announcement in next couple days in regards to building Chrysler models in Italy, including Jeeps, for export to North America.

Coming hot on the heels of speculation that some Jeep production may be moved to China comes a bombshell from a Bloomberg report. Fiat is now considering moving Chrysler and Jeep production to Italy.

"To counter the severe slump in European sales, (Fiat CEO Sergio) Marchionne is considering building Chrysler models in Italy, including Jeeps, for export to North America. The Italian government is evaluating tax rebates on export goods to help Fiat. Marchionne may announce details of his plan as soon as Oct. 30, the people said."

AUTO BAILOUT BOMBSHELL: Fiat Says Chrysler, Jeep Production May Move to Italy
Submitted by Mark Modica

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by alternateuniverse

So basically, take away jobs that build an all American car and then sell the said vehicle back to Americans?

This is so dirty.

edit on 29-10-2012 by Clisen33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33

So basically, take away jobs that build an all American car and then sell the said vehicle back to Americans?

Chrysler isn't all American. Italy owns it.

The Germans designed and built the transmissions, chassis, suspension, and engines in many of their vehicles.

There's already Chinese parts in them. You no longer have to have 100% of the parts made in America to be able to claim it is "Made in America".

Chrysler isn't American. Hasn't been for some time.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Does anybody do their own research anymore or do we just believe what we want to hear?

Jeep not moving to China, Mr. Romney

www.csmonitor.com...

In an e-mail to employees, the chief executive, Sergio Marchionne, said that Jeep’s commitment to the United States was unequivocal. “I feel obliged to unambiguously restate our position: Jeep production will not be moved from the United States to China,” he wrote. “It is inaccurate to suggest anything different.”

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com...

Romney was apparently responding to reports Thursday on right-leaning blogs that misinterpreted a recent Bloomberg News story earlier this week that said Chrysler, owned by Italian automaker Fiat SpA, is thinking of building Jeeps in China for sale in the Chinese market.
"
The truth is that Chrysler is not moving its Jeep production from America to China. As Chrysler said today, 'Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China.' And what's more: President Obama has fought on behalf of U.S. auto workers by challenging unfair Chinese tariffs on U.S. auto exports to China, including Jeeps, while Romney would have let the American auto industry and a million jobs go under."
/ex]

www.detroitnews.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This was on NBC nightly news
and found to be entirely NOT true.
Try again Romney.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sealing

Former Chrysler CEO endorses Romney.

Former Chrysler President Hal Sperlich called the disagreement between the auto company and the former Massachusetts governor a distraction in a USA Today op-ed endorsing Romney.

Sperlich said Romney would create the most conducive economic environment for car companies to thrive.

"My former Chrysler boss, Lee Iacocca, and I have watched the last four years, and it hasn't been pretty with so many Americans out of work," he said. "Gov. Romney proposes a turnaround for America that will make America the place to do business, providing the jobs our people need. I know it's a cliché, but we can't afford four more years like the last four."

Former Chrysler executive endorses Romney for president
By Keith Laing - 11/02/12 03:42 PM ET

top topics

join