It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Stein Stuns Fox news about Mitt Romney tax cut

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Yes I was agreeing with Annee that people need to take personal responsibility for their actions and learn how to manage their debt properly. I was just adding that the banks aren't completely innocent either. They knowingly gave out loans to people they knew very well were going to default... this neat little scam earns the banks money because they get all the loan payments, but the debtor never gets the house. They do it all the time when they shouldn't, because it leads to stuff like the mortgage crisis.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Of course Ben Stein is 100% right. This is where the hijackers come in and call him a liar, traitor and a sellout.

3-2-1. Bam.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There are currently 312 million people in the United States.

geography.about.com...

There are a total of 8,6 million households in the USA that make at least 1 million a year.

According to Spectrem, there are now 8.6 million households in the U.S. with a total net worth (minus principal residence) of $1 million or more. The number of households worth $5 million or more and $25 million or more also remained fairly flat, with growth of less than 2%. There are now 1,078,000 households worth $5 million or more and about 107,000 people worth $25 million or more.
blogs.wsj.com...

How many business in the USA make over a million a year pay taxes? I can't find that answer but we do know that at least two thirds of corporations do Not pay taxes. www.huffingtonpost.com...

Corporations (most of the time) make tons more millions or billions of dollars than do household millionaires - yet two thirds don't pay taxes? I think Ben is right but he's doing the country a disservice if he's only going to tax the rich homeowners. We need to heavily tax the mega rich corporations too.

edit on 26-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Corporations (most of the time) make tons more millions or billions of dollars than do household millionaires - yet two thirds don't pay taxes

Bingo... I think they need to dispose of personal income taxes all together and just put harder tax laws on corporations. Companies is where the real money is... and getting all of them to pay reasonable taxes should (in theory) be enough to cover Government expenses. I say "in theory" because the Government spends supernatural amounts of money... and it seems the more money they have access to the more they need to spend.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
its not high or low taxes, its not over spending or not spending enough. its the damn fiat money system we have.

the fiat system we have is the problem. fractional reserve banking creates money from debt making it impossible to ever pay that debt off even if you taxed and cut everything.

If i had 2 unique rocks and you wanted to borrow these 2 rocks... but only on the condition that you pay me back those 2 rocks + another unique rock that doesn't exist. how do you pay something back that doesn't exist yet? that's the fiat money system we have - Built on debt. taxing or cutting spending would not solve the problem.

This is 100% true, but knowing they will never change it, and Ben knows that, just like he said entitlements have got to stop as ell, knowing it's not going to change either, we have to do something or the economy will collapse entirely and he's 100% right. Mitt Romney doesn't have a clue about how to create jobs for average Americans, he will bust it entirely if what he says is his actual plan, I have a feeling it's just lip service like everything else out of his mouth, spending has barely increased under Obama, the smallest in recent times from a president this is George W and republicans spending, the party of so-called smaller government, what a joke.

Too many idiots run around and think they know #, because they heard if on television.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by Annee

Yep tax em. Them filthy rats. They worked hard to earn their money and pulled the right levers and used their brains and none of that matters because they're the scum of the earth.

Lets reward them by taking their money away. This'll send a message to others who want to be rich: We'll take your money and make you our slave. That's a good way to boost the economy, eh?

May as well stay poor. And get entitlements. And play the victim card. Then we'll be a nation of victims and no jobs because nobody went to school and worked hard to be rich(er).

The way I look at it is we should reward wealthy people. They're the best of the best, generally. They work hard and they got brains. Those're things we want to encourage, not demean.

I think there's some jealousy and also some bigotry going on. Not everybody is rich precisely because it's not easy. And a great number of people are prejudiced against the rich for this reason. They don't like seeing that somebody else did better. So they have to distort reality in their favor.
edit on 26-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

How many rich people do you know who work hard, lmao. Get serious.

People will vote for their own pension cuts, austerity that will devastate themselves and their families to save the rich. These morons should have their right to vote taken away from them until they can learn to count.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by KoolerKing

I'm not really sure what your saying??????If I build my own company and the company makes millions I do not deserve that money????? Sorry but that is the way the world works.

Yes I know that's how the world works, and I also know that's exactly why we have so many economic problems in the world. We truly have cast out the idea of fairness and equality. I'm not saying you don't deserve that money, I'm saying you don't deserve SO MUCH of that money compared to what your employees are earning. They are working their fingers to the bone countless hours a day, typically 5 days a week... I don't care what you think you deserve just because you own the business, those employees also deserve some level of fairness which makes all THEIR hard work worth it.

Screw the shareholders and CEO's... what makes their jobs so much harder that they deserve so much more compared to other people? The answer is NOTHING... absolutely nothing makes their works so much harder that they deserve thousands of dollars a week when their employees may make a few hundred a week. I'm sorry but these are the simple facts of the matter, and some day you're going to have to wake up and see past your programming and realize this. The scientists and mathematicians are the ones who deserve millions and billions of dollars. They contribute the most to society out of anyone, and they are the people with the truly hard and difficult jobs... full stop.
edit on 26/10/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

Someone with a clue, I didn't think it would happen.

Chaotic order gets it. Excellent post chaotic.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Wow, you know what I keep seeing having come back to this thread?

I see a lot of people offering statistics, facts, data and evidence, and then I see a lot of Publicans screaming "you're wrong!" or just quoting other Republicans, repeating others opinions, more of the same BS.

The facts are there, and Republicans here STILL absolutely REFUSE to even concede for a moment that the Republican mentality of throwing money at rich people to magically fix things is a complete fantasy.

THIS is why Bush came into power and completely messed up your country. Too many Americans believe the political BS of their party and ignore the actual facts.

Neither leader will fix the insane debt you have. But one will make the ride less bumpy for the majority, and the other will be determined to suck the last of the money out of the country for him and his buddies to pocket, speeding up the collapse of your country.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by macaronicaesar

I have Asian Indian friends with several business, they would be cosidered rich for our area and they work 12 to 14 hours six days per week, used to be 7 days per week but wanted more time to be with their children.

So many people look at them and scream they get special incentives, nope. Their father lived in little more than a chicken coop for years while he went through college to become a vet. He then invested that money into buying an apartment complex they once lived-in. Then bought a hotel and convience store all run with their children.

Rich people don't work hard, you are blind to reality.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by newcovenant

He can say what he wants, but he brings up hte period 1943-1971 and there were also far fewer entitlements back then AND less regulations on US companies. I think some of that tax money probably went to paying off any debts that were accumulated during world war II and the cold war and to pay for housing and medical for veterans returning from war. But after 1971 it all went to hell. We kept increasing the size of government and adding entitlements and now we just can't pay for it. We were more responsible between 1943-1971, so comparing the two sets of data is meaningless.

I think our country hasn't met the demands, especially in education. Our kids are fat and dumb; grow up on xbox and fruit loops. This is as much a result of teenage apathy extending into adulthood as it's a failure of parents to discipline their children. Too many jobs are going overseas because government has enacted too many regulations and has made doing business in america a hostile venture. I don't see this trend reversing. We're doomed. This is the way of rome. Greed and indulgence is killing us.

Too much hatred for the things that made this country great. Too much denial. I heard you can't even use the word "fat" in the UK to describe someone overweight. Same disease. We can't use the word "loser" to describe somebody that's clearly losing. We can't call a duck a duck. Instead we gotta give them handouts and tell em they're a winner and pat em on the back reassuringly.
edit on 26-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

So you think a better way would be to kick them to the curb? What are you suggesting instead of helping poor people become spenders again? You cannot build an economy until you have people spending money.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Thank you!

At last I'm not the only one who feels as frustrated as you!

It seems no matter how many studies, stats and facts I present -- conservative republicans just ignore them.

It's quite frightening. It reminds me of a sexually molested child protecting their abuser.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Why do republicans on here not worry about themselves first? Like the poor and middle class we all know you are. You're not rich, stop caring about something 99.9% of you will never be.

Trickle down economics does not work......helloooooo...look at current day USA. Are you that blind?
edit on 26-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

You got a star from me chainz.

You took the words right out of my mouth. At times I wonder if the GOP has people to come on these boards and reletlessly post in support of their agenda.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Oh...this is awesome.

We are talking about BEN STEIN. A guy so conservative he not only worked for the Nixon campaign...but still thinks that Nixon was just awesome.

So...now what is Mittens and Ryan going to do? LOL

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Neither leader will fix the insane debt you have. But one will make the ride less bumpy for the majority, and the other will be determined to suck the last of the money out of the country for him and his buddies to pocket, speeding up the collapse of your country.

If it's all the same to everyone else, i'd rather take the head shot than bleed out

But as to the subject at hand. I got to the point where I felt the GOP was not going to take the sensible position and I had to walk away. You can not solve this debt problem with cuts alone. You have to raise revenue at some point, anyone who proclaims otherwise is either stupid or a liar.
edit on 26-10-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It doesn't surprise me that Ben Stein supports a tax increase. He is a very intelligent and educated man, but I wouldn't necessarily say that he has the best interests of the US at heart.

The simple fact is, we could pay off the debt in a few years without raising taxes if we just cut defense spending and get rid of the Federal Reserve Bank. But then, we need a bloated military if we are going to continue to invade the enemies of Israel, they seem to have a lot of them, and then we need to pay to rebuild those countries. And we have to pay people to molest children in airports, and we need fully equipped SWAT teams to raid organic produce stands, and we need to give away billions in foreign aid while children go hungry in this country, and we need ...

You know what we really need? We need a way for taxpayers to have the final say in how our tax dollars are spent.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Just one more reason I love this man. Ben Stein for President!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
My take on "cutting taxes on the rich/job creators"
1) people aren't going to give up on being rich just because they have to give an extra 10%
Ask anyone if they would rather have their earnings reduced from 4 million to 2 million, or take nothing at all and everyone will gladly give up 2 million in order to still have 2 million.
2) Job creators don't hire based on how much money they have, they hire based on how many people they need to hire. After all, they are about profits, so they won't hire more people than they need.

I don't really like how ben stein said it was partly taxes and partly spending because he almost made them seem equal when anyone knows spending is the far bigger problem.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Tax everyone until it hurts, and then tax them some more till it hurts bad, only then will we wake and stop wasting tax money on gazillion dollar planes for the military, BS pork barrel projects and aid to countries that want to destroy us.
if congress wants to waste money on all this senseless stuff then congress and all their rich buddies should be taxed till they bleed to pay for this garbage.

Like Ben said we aren`t children anymore, if we want all this stuff then we better be prepared to pay for it even if it means 90% tax bracket for everyone.

it`s like I used to tell my wife when she would overspend, " it`s easy to spend money if you don`t have to work for it"
It`s easy for the government to spend money because they don`t have to work for it, they just stick their hand in the working mans pockets and take what money they need.
The rich are better off than most of us and yet they are the ones crying the most about paying taxes. if the rich insist on having such a massive military to protect the country so that they can continue pilliaging the country and enslaving the working man then the rich should pay for it.

The poor and lower class have nothing to lose if the country was taken over by some other form of government because they are already poor and enslaved. The rich benefit the most from a massive military, the rich are the ones that would lose the most if the country was taken over by some other form of government, so the rich are the ones that should foot the massive bill for the massively expensive military that they insist that we maintain.

The poor don`t care about government overspending because they aren`t paying for it, they don`t pay taxes. The rich don`t care about government overspending because they pay so little taxes that the taxes they do pay doesn`t affect their lifestyles one bit.
The overspending and waste of money will never stop until EVERYONE has so much skin in the game that it hurts everyone every time the government overspends.Only then will none of us will tolerate government overspend and it will stop.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
My take on "cutting taxes on the rich/job creators"
1) people aren't going to give up on being rich just because they have to give an extra 10%
Ask anyone if they would rather have their earnings reduced from 4 million to 2 million, or take nothing at all and everyone will gladly give up 2 million in order to still have 2 million.
2) Job creators don't hire based on how much money they have, they hire based on how many people they need to hire. After all, they are about profits, so they won't hire more people than they need.

I don't really like how ben stein said it was partly taxes and partly spending because he almost made them seem equal when anyone knows spending is the far bigger problem.

Actually if you watch all three of the videos, in one, one of the professional newscasters tries to battle the respected economist with exactly that "spending" argument and he dismisses it categorically and completely, in fact he says the stimulus was too small and we need more spending so that people do not die. He said "you can't touch SS or Medicare" and those two make up 90% of our non defense budget. He also said something about he worry's for the future of his grandchild. Sounded pretty sincere to me.

I totally agree however, with your first couple of points. 1 & 2.
edit on 26-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join