It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all the South Facing Cams In Antarctica - Out-Of-Service?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It'd be pretty easy for the controllers to just play an old loop on the site.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

Wait, are you suggesting that the entire reason for the presence of the station there, is to have a camera there? Are you really suggesting that you believe that the millions of Euros it costs for the station to be there, is just so that they can have a pretty live feed from the middle of a frozen wasteland?

What utter bloody rot! The station has experiments and research projects running from it, including an observatory, meteorology, geophysics, atmospheric chemistry and more recently infrasound and marine acoustics projects. The location makes the station ideal for all of these things.

The observatory benifits from some of the clearest skies one can imagine, with reduced thermal interferance, that is when there is no massive ice storm happening. Its ideal also for meteorology research, because the weather patterns over the poles are drivers for the weather everywhere else on Earth, so having a research station on hand to witness such a key part of the hydrological cycle in action is a pretty bloody good start point.

In terms of geophysics, the area is a goldmine, because there is not just ice there, but land also, and therefore there is not only an awful lot to learn from a geophysical survey of the location, but the place is ideal for testing and developing more versatile geophys equipment and methodologies.

In terms of thier atmospheric chemistry research, because the area itself is responsible for next to bugger all emissions in and of itself, its a great place to measure the amount of various chemicals in the atmosphere, without the chance of local industry and constant motor vehicle use skewing the results of any experiment or measurement that is taken.

And regarding the infrasound and marine acoustics research, can you imagine a better location to perform those in, than one where the only ambient noise is the occasional crack of ice, and the howl of the wind?

That is what costs the millions of Euros. The camera is not costing a whole hell of a lot, and really serves very little purpose indeed, other than to allow people to observe the outer skin of the research station, and observe the suns progress around the place. It is not an important feature of the work being done there! Its like the silly bloody virtual tours you can get at museums. Its funky, and a bit gimmicky, but its the archives downstairs where the proffessors work that are the real goldmines of information. In the same way, the fact that there is a camera there is a bit of a red herring, but the really interesting work is going on inside, using measuring equipment bolted onto the outer hull of the station, and scattered around the locality.

Before going off on a tangent, you might wish to do some research of your own, lest you appear thoroughly under informed!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hi all!

I was just reading about this whole Nibiru stuff when I suddenly got to think of the movie "the fifth element"

derpderpderp

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A quick calculation, assuming "Nibiru" were a brown dwarf with the mass of Jupiter and being 2000km away from Earth results in:

"Nibiru" exerting a gravitational force of 1.8919511028e+29 Newton on our good ol' Earth
This giant gravitational force would cause Earth to accelerate towards "Nibiru" at a rate of 31659.155 m/s2

Now, this is not happening, does it?

What utter nonsense. I guess with the web cam, they also could turn off the law of gravitation. Take that, Newton!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nv4711
"Nibiru" exerting a gravitational force of 1.8919511028e+29 Newton on our good ol' Earth
This giant gravitational force would cause Earth to accelerate towards "Nibiru" at a rate of 31659.155 m/s2

Now, this is not happening,
where do you people get this stuff?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaRediculian

Probably just a few gravitational force calculations.

I haven't checked his math, but he may have used:

F = [(G) (M1) (M2)] / D^2

G = Gravitational Constant
M1 = Mass 1
M2 = Mass 2
D = Distance
F = Gravitational Force

edit on 10/26/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: EDIT: D^2, not G^2

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Just took the known values of Earth's mass, took Jupiters mass (and was lowballing with that because the Nibiru fans use much larger numbers, up to 4 times the mass of Jupiter) and assumed a distance of 2000km, the rest is just Math based on Newton's law.

I hope you're reading me right: I tried to show that Nibiru (or any other unknown body of giant mass) and the OP's paranoia because a web cam stopped working are laughable.
Earth isn't moving anywhere and I also haven't heard of any monstrous tidal waves or any other catastrophy such a close Planet would cause.

edit on 26-10-2012 by nv4711 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Probably just a few gravitational force calculations.

I haven't checked his math, but he may have used:

F = (G) (M1) (M2) / G^2

G = Gravitational Constant
M1 = Mass 1
M2 = Mass 2
D = Distance
F = Gravitational Force

Yep, that's it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nv4711

I had to edit it -- it is divided by D^2, not G^2

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

No I suggest it's there for the specific reason that a brown dwarf can't be observed anywhere else..

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JrDavis

No I suggest it's there for the specific reason that a brown dwarf can't be observed anywhere else..

Why can't it? Can you please elaborate?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Follow up to the Shadows, He also uses Stellarium. I was going to do it myself but he already did.

The time the shadows are casting next to the camera the sun is under the horizon.

Give it a watch. The sun isn't constantly up at Neumayer it does dip bellow the horizon and he covers that.

Also covers the fact that they changed video footage too since their ATV tracks dissapear nearly instantly towards the end frames on 10/24/2012.

Changed footage, Objects that do not reflect Stellarium. Idk what else you guys need as proof that something is happening there.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
In theory if a brown drawf star (like people claim Niribui) or whatever is exist, and it had the orbit discussed it would be visible in infra only, unless it was close enough to reflect light from the sun like a moon. If such a thing does exist this IS EXACTLY WHERE YOU WOULD SEE it first.

What's with all the people belittling a guy who simply wants to see what the light source is and finds it strange that any camera that might show him is offline?

There is a SECOND source of something, as someone who's actually been to ANTARCTIC what's pointed out in the video is very, very strange.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydrawolf

Fix your own webcam then!

I quit. *mumbles*

...wont give me my star, how dare he.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydrawolf

Okey Dokey then!

Wheres my sled..

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

If you are looking for Niburu and angry that your only veiw of it is obscured, and that is why the camera has failed...

...There is no basis for that assumption. If you are telling me that an object from space that is significant enough in size to have been called Planet X in past versions of this story, has approached to within less distance than the moon, but can only be observed in any fashion from the Antartcic, despite the fact that the space around Earth is RIFE with satellites, never mind the sodding great space station that is orbiting the planet.

Do you want to try a different, slightly more realistic approach to explaining your indignation about the unfortunate malfunction of the utterly insignificant camera at Neumayer Station?
edit on 26-10-2012 by TrueBrit because: grammar edit

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JrDavis
www.youtube.com...

Follow up to the Shadows, He also uses Stellarium. I was going to do it myself but he already did.

The time the shadows are casting next to the camera the sun is under the horizon.

Give it a watch. The sun isn't constantly up at Neumayer it does dip bellow the horizon and he covers that.

Also covers the fact that they changed video footage too since their ATV tracks dissapear nearly instantly towards the end frames on 10/24/2012.

Changed footage, Objects that do not reflect Stellarium. Idk what else you guys need as proof that something is happening there.

:sigh:

You do realize that the sun can be below the horizon, but that the glare from it can still cast enough light to cast shadows, yes?

Or no, apparently you don't.

Try it yourself. Step out a few minutes before sunrise or a few minutes after sun set.

It's been proven time and time again on here that you can NOT have an object that is up to 15 Jupiter masses (a brown dwarf), anywhere in the solar system and not affect the orbits of the other planets.

People on here have shown it with math, and have shown it with neat programs like Universe Sandbox again, and again, and again, and again, and again.......

Normally what happens is the people spouting NIbiru Nonsense change the subject (better than than to admit they have been fooled by a YouTuber making a fake video, or manipulating video or pictures because they want to get a lot of hits on their channel or are just doing it for the luz ), or they just drop from the thread......

Only to come back again, with a iPhone lense flare picture swearing up and down that it's Nibiru, or Planet X......

And still nothing happens. Nothing is there. No drastic changes in our orbit or any other planet's orbit. No magical, defies all laws of physics planet/brown dwarf (etc) showing up, anywhere.

Funny too considering how many of us amateur astronomers have IR equipment.......none of us have been able to detect it either.......nor have we seen anything blocking the stars.........

So unless it's the size of a couple of football fields, only about 100 miles away, it just can't hide. Sorry.

All of you are going to have to prove basic science, geometry, astronomy, physics and astrophysics wrong.......

And it's going to take a bit more than a lens flare picture, or a phony YouTube video (that always seems to show up AFTER the original video from these web cams is no longer available.).

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
again, it's very possible that it could only be visible in the southern hemisphere in a VERY clear sky like antarctica, if it not lit and needs the sun to reflect light to make it visible. In fact discover channel covered this exactly when it talked about a fake idea that our sun has a binary and how we would discover it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is a pointless exercise....

We have all sorts of conspiracy theories on ATS but the Niburu one really is laughable. With some basic facts like people have pointed out about line of sight and gravity this is so easy to debunk. Hell, a planet bigger than earth? Just buy a telescope and have a look for it! It isnt there.

Now, thats not to say they are not hiding anythin in Antarctica though! Afterall it would be a perfect place for research (off the grid and away from populated areas). I like to think that there might be some spaceships under the ice or something.....

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Actually what he is posting about a second light source is correct. yes we are aware of what you are talking about we've all seen a sunset. This is different.

As far as an object the mass of jupiter. Why would a dead star have this size and mass? Also there are many claiming that gravity on other planets and even on earth has been changing. Actual real scientist reporting that gravity has been changing. I'm not claiming that it's this or that I even believe any of this, but there is nothing in evidence to show that this absolutely can't be true.

We don't know everything about heavenly bodies. I think everyone thinks that if a planet or dead star where to wiz by it would be a huge event, and the earth would be changed and we'd all look up and see our doom.

No in fact gravity would slowly change as it got closer causing earthquakes, more storms, and floods. Also peoples bodies adopt slowly. It's not going to be an overnight thing. Especially if this planet x or whatever it is has an orbit of 3,800 years our bodies would slowly adjust constantly for hundreds of years.

reply to post by eriktheawful

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join