It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I scared the crap out of my kid, advice??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Some people may disagree, but this is what worked when my kids were little and were afraid of monsters under the bed: I got them each a toy "ray gun", you know the kind that makes a whirring sound and makes little sparkles under the clear plastic top. If the monster came out and tried to get them they could zap it with "space rays". It did the trick.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

YEA, I teach my kid that you tube is a book

She has a paper allergy...duh

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
reply to post by Wifibrains

Yea that's a good idea. But I'm Broke as a joke. Guess If she is still scared on Sunday when I can get shopping I will probably try to find one!! Thanks

Hey, I have a cute stuffed crocodile which my niece visiting from Australia left here, you're more than welcome to it! It's actually in the bag of stuff that one day I WILL get around to taking to the charity shop

I can post it to a PO Box address near you, no problem at all...

CX

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Maybe distract her with something else?

CX.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I have been there!!!

I read my youngest when she was 2.5yrs, SSSSh. And it was a story about how Santa came down the chimney. I thought it would be a bit of pre-Christmas fun. OMG BAD thing to do.
That night she would not go to bed till 2am, on me, before that she would quite willing go to bed when she was tired and sleep all though the night. She was a dream child.
For the next 6 months she hated going to bed and thought Santa was coming to get us all. I had to carry her upstairs after she had fallen asleep. It was a nightmare.

She had and still has a vivid and visual imagination. I found out at her 7mths ear checkup she had the visual spatial ability of a three yr old, told to me by a nurse.

You probably have a imaginative child if she has developed a fear based on a video. So you have allay her fears by using visual and physical clues and keep on allaying her fear. Everyday if necessary.

We worked out what made my youngest fear-it was Santa coming in without my permission or knowledge. So we went through all the ways he could come in. We have no chimney, so we told her that, and as it was winter I showed her that all the windows were locked and the doors were bolted after sunset. And she had to have a nightlight after that too.

It took a long time for the bedtimes to get as easy as they had been but she never got over her dislike for Santa.

My advice is to fill under her bed with cardboard boxes, etc, as soon as possible, so the alligator can't get under there. Then give her a rubber baseball bat so if one did say come near her, she could bash its brains out. This will give her self reliance and maybe a survivor attitude too.

Good luck, life will never be the same again.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It seems to me that most kids get freaked out by something around this age. I remember getting freaked out by some cartoon elephant, not scary at all. The one that wears a crown. Babaar? Too lazy to Google. I think the best thing to do is just ask her why she's scared and explain why she shouldn't be based on her answers. If that fails tell her a very scary cat with makeup will beat up any monsters if they ever try anything.

super sweet 'tiny love'

That is adorable.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I would do 2 things. First I would explain to her that it was just a story. Read to her the story of Puss N Boots, then ask her if a cat can talk? No, of course not. It's just a story. Then find a book on alligators with pictures (no videos, too realistic) and teach her about how they live and where they live and why they couldn't live in a house because they need water. Then sleep on the floor by her bed for a couple of nights so she sees you're not afraid. Then you should be good.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
UGHHH I'm so irritated. I just typed up a huge reply to 3 people in one post, it was awesome. I hit post and the screen went gray, and the tab said something like 'posting' or 'sending post' and it just hung there....and hung there. I hit the back button, and was logged out!!!! I will do it again later or tomorrow. Please don't think I don't appreciate what you guys have said, cause I do...A WHOLE BUNCH!! I have things to say to you AJ, and YOU whose name I can't remember, with your stuffed Austrailan Alligator....

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Can I just clarify it is a stuffed toy and not a real crocodile that's been to the taxidermists

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Well, she's only 3 - but she's smart enough to consider things

Unfortunately, if you don't have a lot of information or experience you get trapped in a kind of possibility loop that you can't get out of - you have to consider that even though you suspect it's not real - you can't know for certain it's not real

Just like what happens often enough here at ATS - only with grownups :-)

So, maybe you could try sitting her down and showing her a nature video or a book about alligators that is based on reality. Explain where they live and that they have to live where they live - and that they can't live under her bed

And, obviously - don't let her see an alligator dragging something under the water or snatching something from the banks or you will never enjoy a holiday near the water again

She has a good imagination - unfortunately kids with a good imaginations are often scared of lots of things

How cool is it though that she could actually tell you what she was afraid of? :-)
edit on 10/27/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Meh, I'm no help here. My dad used to tell me "Is the monster under your bed scarier than me? THEN GET BACK IN BED TWERP!"

Needless to say my therapist still twitches when I discuss my childhood.

When I was about 5-6, my dad told me and my sisters that if we didn't behave he would shoot the Easter Bunny

:-)

We knew he meant it too - so, we behaved

Doesn't sound like it - but he was an excellent dad. Not perfect - but excellent

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Don't brush off her fears. To her, they are very real. Take her to her room and let her watch you inspect under the bed.

You can also vacuum under the bed, tell her it sucked up the alligator. Or use anti-alligator spray (air freshened or water with a bit of perfume).

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Just a warning now, I'm probably going to be posting a few in a row, That's not a bad thing in a thread like this right?

Anyway, thank you for your unsolicited advice Advantage, it makes good sense.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLonewolf

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
Watch two seasons Walking Dead with her.

She'll forget about the Alligator.

Love that show...Midnightsunshine you could always show her my avatar and say "this thing lives in the closet and eats alligators"..I'm an ass I know

edit on 26-10-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-10-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)

HEY, you said it not me!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Some people may disagree, but this is what worked when my kids were little and were afraid of monsters under the bed: I got them each a toy "ray gun", you know the kind that makes a whirring sound and makes little sparkles under the clear plastic top. If the monster came out and tried to get them they could zap it with "space rays". It did the trick.

No I don't think that's a bad idea at all, What ever works right? Thank you Super Granny!!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradisepurple

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
reply to post by Wifibrains

Yea that's a good idea. But I'm Broke as a joke. Guess If she is still scared on Sunday when I can get shopping I will probably try to find one!! Thanks

Hey, I have a cute stuffed crocodile which my niece visiting from Australia left here, you're more than welcome to it! It's actually in the bag of stuff that one day I WILL get around to taking to the charity shop

I can post it to a PO Box address near you, no problem at all...

OMgoodness you are sooooo kind!!! Thank you for your generous offer, If things don't get any better around here, and I can't find one soon, I just might have to take you up on that! Super Sweet of you, and Thank you for clarifying because I SO though you wanted to send me a taxidermied Australian Alligator...I was all like "WHAT?"

Editing to say I really didn't think that, but people never get my sarcasism and silliness so...a
edit on 27-10-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Haha, I wondered if you may have thought that, your poor daughter would never have slept again

You're welcome to it, Monkeyfishfrog's idea was so great!!

But, fingers crossed, your daughter will snap out of it soon enough and you won't need to clutter up the place with stuffed crocodiles anyway

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Keep an eye out for what she could hear on TV or from older children about the "alligators living in sewers" thing. She could start being afraid of the bathroom.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AriesJedi
I have been there!!!

I read my youngest when she was 2.5yrs, SSSSh. And it was a story about how Santa came down the chimney. I thought it would be a bit of pre-Christmas fun. OMG BAD thing to do.
That night she would not go to bed till 2am, on me, before that she would quite willing go to bed when she was tired and sleep all though the night. She was a dream child.
For the next 6 months she hated going to bed and thought Santa was coming to get us all. I had to carry her upstairs after she had fallen asleep. It was a nightmare.

She had and still has a vivid and visual imagination. I found out at her 7mths ear checkup she had the visual spatial ability of a three yr old, told to me by a nurse.

You probably have a imaginative child if she has developed a fear based on a video. So you have allay her fears by using visual and physical clues and keep on allaying her fear. Everyday if necessary.

We worked out what made my youngest fear-it was Santa coming in without my permission or knowledge. So we went through all the ways he could come in. We have no chimney, so we told her that, and as it was winter I showed her that all the windows were locked and the doors were bolted after sunset. And she had to have a nightlight after that too.

It took a long time for the bedtimes to get as easy as they had been but she never got over her dislike for Santa.

My advice is to fill under her bed with cardboard boxes, etc, as soon as possible, so the alligator can't get under there. Then give her a rubber baseball bat so if one did say come near her, she could bash its brains out. This will give her self reliance and maybe a survivor attitude too.

Good luck, life will never be the same again.

Before I reply to the above quote, I just want to say thanks to all of you again. You really have no idea how grateful I am that you are all here for me with great advice, and laughs to get me through. I was weary of posting this because I thought people would think it was silly, and I knew a few would insinuate that I don't read to my kids/be rude to me. I'm so glad I did it any way.

Your post really nailed it AJ. She, like you're daughter, has a SUPER imagination. One of her first phrases was 'I love to play pretend'. It's so sad, it's like her independence is gone now. This afternoon we had trick r treat in our neighborhood. We woke up and kept busy all morning and she was fine. Then afterwards, while we were having a break and getting ready to start dinner, the fear came back
She was in another room when it did and I could her the terror rise up in her tiny voice, it is so awful.

Your poor daughter too. Must of really sucked to have Santa Clause of all things be the monster under her bed!!

I have more to say, I'm going to double post.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

Well, she's only 3 - but she's smart enough to consider things

Unfortunately, if you don't have a lot of information or experience you get trapped in a kind of possibility loop that you can't get out of - you have to consider that even though you suspect it's not real - you can't know for certain it's not real

Just like what happens often enough here at ATS - only with grownups :-)

So, maybe you could try sitting her down and showing her a nature video or a book about alligators that is based on reality. Explain where they live and that they have to live where they live - and that they can't live under her bed

And, obviously - don't let her see an alligator dragging something under the water or snatching something from the banks or you will never enjoy a holiday near the water again

She has a good imagination - unfortunately kids with a good imaginations are often scared of lots of things

How cool is it though that she could actually tell you what she was afraid of? :-)
edit on 10/27/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

reply to post by smyleegrl

SOOO on to you two little bits of genius!!! After the fear came back(she won't even get off the couch and play with her toys) I did what you suggested and we talked about where alligators can and can't live and more.... She just talks and talks and talks...Anyway I told her people that live near rivers buy anti-alligator spay at the dollar store and she was dead set on getting some. I told her even though we know alligators couldn't live or come into our house we would get some to be sure. She also came up w/ her very own idea of buying a magic wand and saying some crazy thing she made up that sends any alligators back to their ponds. So she got one of those, AND she got a cute little stuffed alligator of her own, that she loves.

So smyle...I found a pic of an alligator in a circle with a line through it, printed it, and applied it to a piece of clear tape that I later applied to a bottle of anti pet odor spay. ALL of that was no easy feat when you have a scared 3 year old attached to your leg
but I did it.

So we spayed and she is exhausted and ready for bed now, so we will see how things go!!!!

I

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join