It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do PC Liberals hate/deny genetics so much?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I have some taboo but logical questions. Why do liberals and politically correct people always seem to deny the genetic factor in human behavior, even though science says that 50 percent of our personality/behavior comes from our genes? What drives them to be so irrationally against the science of genes and their effect?

Why do they have a need to believe that everything is a social construct conditioned by culture and that we are all born a blank slate? Some even go so far as saying that there are no differences between men and women other than cultural and biological differences, which is totally insane. It doesn't make sense. What's their motivation for denying something so obvious?

Whenever I ask them the following, they get stumped:

1. If all our behaviors are conditioned, why was I born with a fear of heights ever since I was a toddler? Who or what conditioned me to have a fear of heights?

2. Why is there a proven correlation between race and IQ that transcends environment or upbringing? See here:
www.charlesdarwinresearch.org...
www.news-medical.net...

3. Why do adopted children have IQ's that are closer to that of their biological parents than of their adopted parents?

4. Why do fraternal twins separated at birth develop many of the same habits, personalities, choices and names, as studies show?

Politically correct liberals can never address these questions. I get no answers from them. Why is that? Why can't they change their beliefs to fit the facts, rather than deny the facts that don't fit into their beliefs (aka cognitive dissonance)?

I wrote an article about this here:

Politically Correct Fanatics: Their Denial of Patterns and Genetics
www.debunkingskeptics.com...

Furthermore, why do liberals emphatically claim that there are no differences between races or groups of people, other than cultural or individual differences? Consider this: We acknowledge that animals, such as dogs and cats, have different behaviors and temperaments based on their breed and color. A German Shepherd for example, has a very different personality than a Golden Retriever. And black cats are more wild and independent than white cats, while tabby cats are more friendly, warm and cuddly. Obviously, these animal differences are not due to culture or environment. So if different colors and breeds are correlated with different animal traits and temperaments, why wouldn't it be the same for human races? Why are innate differences between human races a taboo? What's the logic behind that?

David Duke argued that differences in human races is akin to differences in dog breeds in his documentary about preserving human diversity and freedom here: vimeo.com...

Do liberals even care about truth? Or are they all about not offending others? What is the rationale or logic behind political correctness? Does the politically correct crowd really think that political correctness=truth?

And why is political correctness so popular, especially among young people, and especially among females? It's almost like a fad or trend among young people (especially females) to hold politically correct views such as "there are no differences between groups or races, only cultural and individual differences exist" etc. They seem to adopt such views like a religion, without thinking and without regard for evidence, logic or science.

It's really weird and doesn't make sense. And it's one of the reasons why I often feel alienated around young adult crowds (in addition to their superficial conversation around lighthearted topics only, and their expectation of having to act positive about everything). It's like whenever I describe differences I observe, they become argumentative, as if I've violate some holy ground of theirs. Very weird.
edit on 26-10-2012 by WWu777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Dear WWu777,

It would certainly help if you understood genetics. Inbreds destroy themselves overtime, they have nothing to grow into or learn. An intelligent species would seek the ultimate in variety, not conformity. It is the variation that allows us to continue to grow.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Dear WWu777,

It would certainly help if you understood genetics. Inbreds destroy themselves overtime, they have nothing to grow into or learn. An intelligent species would seek the ultimate in variety, not conformity. It is the variation that allows us to continue to grow.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
WOW!

The moment you mentioned David Duke you not only lost ALL credibility but you have also deemed yourself a complete racist!

By saying that the races of people are like dog species, you have only proven that YOU know absolutely nothing about genetics!

Fail!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777

David Duke argued that differences in human races is akin to differences in dog breeds in his documentary about preserving human diversity and freedom here

editby]edit on 26-10-2012 by WWu777 because: (no reason given)

Don't even bother with this guy.
Anyone who quotes David Duke the neo-nazi isn't worth the time to respond to.
Perhaps he should go hang out on stormfronts website.
edit on 26-10-2012 by aethertek because: Removed the racist link.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The link between genotype and and phenotype isn't concrete. There isn't really a way to quantitatively identify what is nature and what is nurture in humans, so some people put all their eggs in one basket.

Think of it like this, have you ever been confused when a friend doesn't think your favorite food or candy tastes good? You may think it's just them being picky or close minded, but taste bud density affects how we perceive taste and it's a genetic trait.

Sometimes it's hard to understand how other people can perceive reality differently. That's the best explanation I can come up with for your dilemma. Some people think all human brains are the same, but they aren't. On the flip side, some people totally blame genetics when the environment has an equal or greater impact in the case of some overweight people.

I do think denying genetic differences is wrong, but relying solely on genetics is equally as flawed.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I was always taught that there was differences between the races, but those differences are valuable in their own distinct way.

Just because we are different based on our race does not mean we should not provide equal respect among ourselves, those differences should be celebrated, not condoned.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
50% of our what? Laughable theory. Not really science. Half of me does want some Swedish meatballs and I am only one quarter Swedish.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by WWu777

Dear WWu777,

Then why was America at its most prosperous in the 1950's when it was more homogenous and harmonious and had no racial wars? Multi-culturalism tends to destroy doesn't it? Look at what the Muslims are doing to Europe. You are buying into a liberal myth like a religion.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
WOW!

The moment you mentioned David Duke you not only lost ALL credibility but you have also deemed yourself a complete racist!

By saying that the races of people are like dog species, you have only proven that YOU know absolutely nothing about genetics!

Fail!

That's not a logical argument. You did not address any of my points nor did you address any of the points in David Duke's video. I don't care if he's a racist or not. But he is very intelligent, bright and makes good valid arguments. Perhaps you are the one who is prejudiced against him.

You didn't address my question of why PC liberals hate and deny genetics so much.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by aethertek

David Duke argued that differences in human races is akin to differences in dog breeds in his documentary about preserving human diversity and freedom here

Don't even bother with this guy.
Anyone who quotes David Duke the neo-nazi isn't worth the time to respond to.
Perhaps he should go hang out on stormfronts website.
edit on 26-10-2012 by aethertek because: Removed the racist link.

That is a myth. If you look at David Duke's website, articles and videos, there is nothing racist in them.

www.davidduke.com...

But anyway, he is not the topic here. Why do liberals and PC types have a religious need to believe that we are all born blank slates and that the genetic factor doesn't exist? All the evidence says that the genetic factor does exist, as in my examples above. So why the denial? And why is this so popular among young people? Totally illogical.

edit on Fri Oct 26 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix tag code

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I am a liberal, and I know that homosexuality is genetic. Why do conservatives and religious fundamentalists deny this genetic truth?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I'll play.

What exactly is the point you're trying to make? What practical benefit would come from your being correct, making the giant and false assumption that you are?

Use everything you 'know' about genetics and respond to this scenario-

You're given first pick choosing teams for a two on two basketball game for a $10,000 cash prize. You can choose between Al Roker and Larry Bird.

Go.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Because kill everyone thats inferior to you or at least make them serve you?
edit on 26-10-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The straw men are out in full force today with the right.

No one hates genetics.

What you're talking about has to do with peoples having different opportunities in life due to where they live and what is available to them from birth. the only place that I see the words "All men are created equal" is in the Declaration of Independence.
Perhaps you should attack that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The trouble is, most of interesting traits when it comes to genetic influence, such as intelligence, are very hard to isolate and are probably highly polygenic. Intelligence and genetics is at the junction of extremely complex and still largely unknown fields of neuroscience, sociology, psychology and genetics. The absence of proof to the contrary allows racists, but also radical egalitarians, to spread their beliefs unchallenged.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I'll field your four questions:

1) False analogy. Genetic predisposition and behavior are not the same thing.

You said:

why was I born with a fear of heights ever since I was a toddler?

Obviously you were not born a toddler. Since you cannot state what may have happened between birth and the toddler stage? You're simply assuming.

2) There is no such proven anything. There is merely a controversial theory by J. Philippe Rushton.

3) Unsourced, and therefore speculative until sourced. However - race would not be an issue, regardless of genetics. A child born to brilliant parents and raised by less intelligent parents, regardless of race, would be more apt to develop beyond the adoptive parents intellect. The opposite is also probably accurate. Throwing race into the subject sullies and muddies the entire concept.

4) Fraternal twins actually tend to be behaviorally divergent. It is identical twins that tend to be more alike.

IMO the conclusions that you seem to be coming to are based largely upon conformation bias and a desire to link genetic superiority/inferiority directly to race. This has been going on for a very long time and is called eugenics. Oh and David Duke? He's a dolt.

~Heff
edit on 10/26/12 by Hefficide because: clarity

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by WWu777

Dear WWu777,

Then why was America at its most prosperous in the 1950's when it was more homogenous and harmonious and had no racial wars? Multi-culturalism tends to destroy doesn't it? Look at what the Muslims are doing to Europe. You are buying into a liberal myth like a religion.

because europe was in shambles, japan was in shambles, china had no industrial power....it was the height of american economic power. taxes were also as high as they ever have been on the wealthy and the corporate....money was being churned over and over again in this country.......

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Why do they have a need to believe that everything is a social construct conditioned by culture and that we are all born a blank slate? Some even go so far as saying that there are no differences between men and women other than cultural and biological differences, which is totally insane. It doesn't make sense. What's their motivation for denying something so obvious?

This is going to be hard to answer for anyone as I don't think I have ever met a single person that believes there are no genetic differences between men and women, such a statement would be ludicrous on its face.

I actually believe that your question isnt a question but rather a "straw man"

Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs which are then criticized, implying that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
wiki

1. If all our behaviors are conditioned, why was I born with a fear of heights ever since I was a toddler? Who or what conditioned me to have a fear of heights?

I'm sure theres some debate about whether some phobias are genetic or not, a fear of heights I would say would be a good example of one that might be genetic as not falling off of cliffs and dying would seem to give someone a better chance of passing on their genes.

2. Why is there a proven correlation between race and IQ that transcends environment or upbringing? See here:
www.charlesdarwinresearch.org...
www.news-medical.net...

One or two peer reviewed papers does not constitute proof of anything, the paper linked above was actually criticised heavily by its peers as below

Although his paper was widely cited, a random selection of 60 of these citations revealed that 29 of the papers were direct rebuttals or criticisms of Jensen's arguments, 8 cited the paper as an "example of controversy," 8 used it as a background reference. Only 15 citations of Jensen's paper were in any way supportive of his theories, and 7 of these 15 were only in relation to minor points

link

black cats are more wild and independent than white cats, while tabby cats are more friendly, warm and cuddly.

My huge cuddly lazy Black cat would like to respectfully disagree with you on this

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Even though your a racist pig OP, you do have a point. There are differences in people of color, culture and orientation. No reason to deny that. But your focus is more about negative sterotypes than using reason. The reason we maintain political correctness is to ensure people like you don't kill innocent people you disagree with. Pretty simple. I'm a proud libertarian left leaning liberal.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join